TAOBAO GOLDPLANAR GL850 + GL1000 + GL1200
Apr 24, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #31 of 112
@John Massaria I just now did some doublechecking on Linsoul's website at their terms and conditions. Who told you that you would have to pay a restocking fee?

According to their published terms, the 35% restocking fee only applies to OPENED parcels. So if you were to just send it back unopened, you would not have been charged a restocking fee. Presumably just the shipping each way. Link for reference: https://www.linsoul.com/pages/terms-and-conditions

So if someone at Linsoul told you otherwise, my guess is that they were unfamiliar with official policy.

The fact that they can't or won't cancel newly placed orders is certainly annoying. However, depending on their order fulfillment workflows and structure, cancellations might not be easy. I've had cases with certain vendors where I've been unable to modify or cancel orders within hours of placing them simply because the order had moved on to the next department.

Apr 25, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #32 of 112
@John Massaria , incase you have heard the GL850 before am very curious to hear your thoughts between this and GL1200. I'm abit mixed with GL850. It sounded amazing and like no other headphone I've heard on some tracks , but on others the vocals sounded veiled .

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #33 of 112
I can say the GL1200 does not sound veiled at all- the only complication if you want to call it that is the GL1200 to do very complex bass - but it does do it better than a STAX and a HEED and RAAL from my take- so as far as I am concerned it tops the scales for one of the finest sounds on the market today for doing nearly everything right and hardly anything wrong AFTER long break in period

Apr 25, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #34 of 112
@John Massaria I just now did some doublechecking on Linsoul's website at their terms and conditions. Who told you that you would have to pay a restocking fee?

According to their published terms, the 35% restocking fee only applies to OPENED parcels. So if you were to just send it back unopened, you would not have been charged a restocking fee. Presumably just the shipping each way. Link for reference: https://www.linsoul.com/pages/terms-and-conditions

So if someone at Linsoul told you otherwise, my guess is that they were unfamiliar with official policy.

The fact that they can't or won't cancel newly placed orders is certainly annoying. However, depending on their order fulfillment workflows and structure, cancellations might not be easy. I've had cases with certain vendors where I've been unable to modify or cancel orders within hours of placing them simply because the order had moved on to the next department.
I can just say this went back and forth with DROP on the GL2000 before a "manager" wrote this
Unteitled.png
Untitlegd.png

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #35 of 112
I can say the GL1200 does not sound veiled at all- the only complication if you want to call it that is the GL1200 to do very complex bass - but it does do it better than a STAX and a HEED and RAAL from my take- so as far as I am concerned it tops the scales for one of the finest sounds on the market today for doing nearly everything right and hardly anything wrong AFTER long break in period
What I have read that Stax headphones are not good at dynamics. I would avoid them? I don't say you should avoid all electrostatic headphones just the overpriced.

Can someone measure the GL1200?

Apr 25, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #36 of 112
I can just say this went back and forth with DROP on the GL2000 before a "manager" wrote this Unteitled.pngUntitlegd.png

Ahh, ok. You were looking at buying the second unit from Drop directly and dealing with their terms and conditions, whereas I was reading the terms on Linsoul.com. Two different entities and storefronts. It could be that Linsoul is (slightly) more forgiving in their terms than Drop.

Apr 25, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #37 of 112
Ahh, ok. You were looking at buying the second unit from Drop directly and dealing with their terms and conditions, whereas I was reading the terms on Linsoul.com. Two different entities and storefronts. It could be that Linsoul is (slightly) more forgiving in their terms than Drop.
well the review pair from Linsoul was GL1200- I thought within 30 days I would do review from Linsoul and return - everyone wins- a great review for a great product and I get to be made whole after the one week to review- no dice- my mistake- I may sell on head-fi - I can not afford to make mistakes like this- I may just stop reviewing all together im so upset at myself

Apr 26, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #38 of 112
I can say my copy of the GL1200 is far superior to any headphone I have ever heard to date in every aspect except complex bass passages such as those on the Blade Runner 2049 track #23 Blade Runner or the grueling torture track#20 called Sea Wall but I am fine with that limitation as most music is not that demanding and for those tracks I fall back on my GH50JM Edition - the GL1200 sound is utterly addicting and over the top for everything else- after some 75hrs of break in- they have finally transformed into something I treasure - the out of head experience is like that of my Magnepan 3.6r speakers while my closed back Gjallarhorn GH50JM Edition is like my Vandersteen 3a speakers- both I truly adore for what they do right - the leakage into the room through the GL1200 is something I need to live with or should I say my family needs to be absent for me to truly enjoy - I can not imagine it getting any better than this visceral utopian experience

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #39 of 112
What I have read that Stax headphones are not good at dynamics. I would avoid them? I don't say you should avoid all electrostatic headphones just the overpriced.

Can someone measure the GL1200?
That is totally false. Also electrostatic headphones are not just limited to Stax. I hate Stax signature for that matter. Only problem with eStat is to get best sound out of them, your AMP requirements are high. Really no different than AMP needs for GL1200/SR1a. Good news, if you are inclined is to get an ifi i-esl, which is a state of the art energizer that allows you to power eStat with the same AMP that would power the GL1200. What's more is the same AMP can also now power your Planar/dynamic headphones through the XLR headphone output from i-esl. I was powering my SR1a, Stax 009 and Susvara all from the same AMP.

Apr 27, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #40 of 112
ifi i-esl interesting option I had forgotten about! I just reached out to Shcitt about The Jot R - we will see... my Mosfet Adcom does very very well with the GL1200- I can not say anything negative at all BUT the size and heat coming out is a downer... I can say the dynamics of the Stats like Stax are much worse than that of ribbons like the GL1200- however the GL1200 will do bass and sub bass just do not do LOUD dynamics of complex passages well like a Dynamic but played at nominal levels you will be shocked how accurate and realistic BUT NOT over done bass is- see my review for my impressions with select songs - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/gold-planar-gl1200.25000/reviews

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #41 of 112
Given the issue with Linsoul's return/restock policy, what other vendors carry these in the west? Are there any? I've only found references to websites written entirely in Asian characters.

Apr 27, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #42 of 112
ifi i-esl interesting option I had forgotten about! I just reached out to Shcitt about The Jot R - we will see... my Mosfet Adcom does very very well with the GL1200- I can not say anything negative at all BUT the size and heat coming out is a downer... I can say the dynamics of the Stats like Stax are much worse than that of ribbons like the GL1200- however the GL1200 will do bass and sub bass just do not do LOUD dynamics of complex passages well like a Dynamic but played at nominal levels you will be shocked how accurate and realistic BUT NOT over done bass is- see my review for my impressions with select songs - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/gold-planar-gl1200.25000/reviews
TBH, i was underwhelmed with Jot R. A good speaker amp still scales better. Just don't forget to buy female to male xlr adapter as GL1200 and Jot R using male XLR for SR1a is incompatible. Btw, new review for GL1200 from another forum. I do notice the same distortion he's speaking of, but when i switched out the ribbon the distortion was gone. Which leads me to believe its variance between how the ribbons are QA'ed/Constructed

https://forum.headphones.com/t/goldplanar-gl1200/12244

Apr 27, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #43 of 112
Hi John, is GL1200 friendly to EQ?

Apr 27, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #44 of 112
Just up

Apr 27, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #45 of 112
Hi John, is GL1200 friendly to EQ?
Yes but not so much in bass region - according to headphone show he said they aren’t the most detailed headphones but I 100% disagree
And the frequency graphs is and never will mean anything to me - if that were the case we would all own JBL desk top monitors or B&W but those graphs never tell you about image and timing two thing the ribbons on the GL1200 do better than anything - I also don’t like detail monsters like the Focal utopia - the gl1200 detail plenty and any more would too much- they wouldn’t be an all day driver without listener fatigue - the way they are now are nearly ideal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back