3. Sturdy construction

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #20 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewmeister /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/lea...srh840-420561/ for the new shure line

Thanks for posting it; I was in class.
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #21 of 102
Your headphone experience is fairly limited. Until you've tried some of the top cans in that price range, you shouldn't default to buying the Beats, IMO. I'd say do some research on the Ultrasone HFI-780s, I haven't tried them but I've heard good things.

Also, the fact that it improves with amping does not mean it is hard to drive (DT770/80). Most of what I've read suggests they perform admirably unamped, and they may be worth looking into.

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #22 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by twylight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This smells like a Bose troll with a twist

Lol, I'm no troll. I will look into the Shure's and maybe give the HFI-780's some further research. I still think the DT770's will be too big for portability. The Sennheiser HD280 seem to get good reviews but some people seem to have problems with their durability. The Denon AH-2000 look like they may suite my needs but I am unsure if my D2 could sufficiently drive them. I do appreciate everyone's suggestions.

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #23 of 102
if you are considering the HD280 or the DT770 then i will throw the ATH-M50 in the mix as well. it is easier driven than the DT770 (i tested both with my iPod and the 80 ohm DT770 did not cut it). the M50 has pretty solid bass and are half the cost of the Beats. you can usually test them at guitar center if there is one by you.
also, check the shures when they come out - hopefully there will be demo models at apple stores.

Apr 24, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #25 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aw heck, go for it if it makes you happy. Write a review after you get it..

Thanks, I may just take that advice. If I do get the beats, I will be sure to post a review.

Apr 24, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #26 of 102
I listened to Beats in the Apple store last weekend. They didn't seem that bad to me. Much to my surprise, they actually blocked out a decent amount of ambient noise. It's hard for me to say too much about their sonic performance since I didn't bring my own portable rig to plug them into. But they seemed alright in all of the key areas. So, while there may be more highly regarded headphones in their price range, if you love the sound, maybe you should just get them.

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #27 of 102
I don't think loving their sound is a reason to go out and buy them instantly. Indeed, they may sound great to you, but it's possible that your other options will sound even better. It may be worthwhile getting DT770/80s because they're so much cheaper than Beats. Also, don't forget to look in the For Sale forum here, you can get some great deals there.

When you've heard plenty of the options, sure, go by your ears. But if you've only heard one pair in this price range, I don't think that's enough to rely on personal experience.

Apr 24, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #28 of 102
I appreciate everyone's input. I decided I am going to follow my gut feeling and I just placed an order for the Beats. I will post my thoughts after some quality listening time.

Apr 24, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #29 of 102
Life lesson: Whenever a product is endorsed by a celebrity, it sucks. It's all about the money. The company wants to mask the suckiness by having it endorsed, and the celebrity asks a lot of money to endorse a ****ty product that they know is **** but would endorse for said big money only.

and it's funny that every single person told you it was a bad idea to buy them and that they are horrible, yet you go buy it anyway. why bother posting here asking for advice then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back