Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 31, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #2,687 of 4,538
@BenF , any config recomendation for the smsl idea? I've read somewhere to let it at full volume in the stick and adjust the volume on windows based on your needs. Also already downloaded the driver and set the stick to 24/48. I'm thinking now about the usb conection, if i should plug it to a usb hub, the front panel or the rear panel of my pc if there would be any difference.

May 31, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #2,688 of 4,538
@BenF , any config recomendation for the smsl idea? I've read somewhere to let it at full volume in the stick and adjust the volume on windows based on your needs. Also already downloaded the driver and set the stick to 24/48. I'm thinking now about the usb conection, if i should plug it to a usb hub, the front panel or the rear panel of my pc if there would be any difference.

If you are using Idea alone, you should set Idea's volume to the max and control the volume from your application/OS.
It's the opposite of the usual recommendation for DAC/Amps, but Idea sounds best at max amplification level.
You may still end up preferring NX4 DSD over Idea, if you prefer maximum detail retrieval.

Of course, pairing Idea with O2 is my standard recommendation - it's one of the synergy combos.

Don't use USB hubs, they can be dangerous/noisy - just try a regular USB port.
I always set Idea to 24/192.

Check this post in the Idea thread:
I don't know exactly what kind of sorcery is this but SABAJ DA2 (iDEA) when I've installed the official XMOS driver and changed the option at "Buffer Settings" from "Reliable" to "Standard" (pic) the sub-bass which was kind of shy now it got way more impact hitting deeper than usual. I'd guess it's just the filter settings with odd names.

Also, If someone with this device can test and report if you get the same result as mine would be nice - so I can be sure it's not placebo.

(If you're on W10 probably you need to close all applications before changing it).

May 31, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #2,689 of 4,538
If you are using Idea alone, you should set Idea's volume to the max and control the volume from your application/OS.
It's the opposite of the usual recommendation for DAC/Amps, but Idea sounds best at max amplification level.
You may still end up preferring NX4 DSD over Idea, if you prefer maximum detail retrieval.

Of course, pairing Idea with O2 is my standard recommendation - it's one of the synergy combos.

Don't use USB hubs, they can be dangerous/noisy - just try a regular USB port.
I always set Idea to 24/192.

Check this post in the Idea thread:
So you set it at standard instead of reliable too? Can you confirm if its not just placebo? Especialy with pro 82

Jun 1, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #2,690 of 4,538
The good news: my 82's got delivered today.
The bad news: I'm out of town for a week, so I'll have to wait to hear them.

Luckily I'm at my brother's house and he has some good headphones that I'm using: Sony MDR-V6, Samson SR850, and Grado PS1000's! :)

Jun 1, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #2,691 of 4,538
mabye the pro 82 is a bit better or a bit different tuning than mh751,but im sure the mh751 is superior to pro 80 and alpha in music,i had the pro 80 the cloud rebrand and its actually better than alpha in my opinion,alpha has way to much bass,even more than old clouds still its a bit lower quality and start to fall into one note bommy bass which i hate and way to much warm sounding and its a bit muffled sounding seems they tryed to copy beats signature lul.Cal 1 is also better than old clouds for music.Between cal and mh751 its hard to say,id personaly take cal 1 since comfort and sound leak and the small soundstage of cal dosent bother me,but id recommend mh751 to someone since sound is as good as cal 1 for music and better for gaming with better comfort.I will do a long detailed review here between cal and mh751 in future maybe will include the pro 80 rebrand old clouds.

Pro 82 isn't "a bit better" than MH751. If they didn't look nearly identical, I would have never guessed that they are related.
Bass quality on MH751 is sacrificed for the sake of the bass boost, natural timbre is gone, and electrostatic-like transparency is nowhere to be found.
It's not as comfortable too - pads (at least on mine) are not as fluffy.

Hopefully GM200 gets back in stock soon, it is much closer to Pro 82 in SQ/comfort.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #2,692 of 4,538
So you set it at standard instead of reliable too? Can you confirm if its not just placebo? Especialy with pro 82
Don't think I ever changed this setting, but I don't use Idea standalone anyway.
Another poster in the Idea thread said he couldn't hear the difference - I think this may be dependent on your specific USB ports. Worth trying.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #2,693 of 4,538
Just received the SMSL Idea. I'm pairing it now with PRO 82. My initial impressions is that my NX4 DSD still sounded better, but i will give more time to test the Smsl idea.

Had them both too and I can agree, NX4 DSD sounded better with several headphones I tried it with. The more demanding headphones I paired it with were, the more it pulled ahead of the Idea.

Jun 3, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #2,694 of 4,538
I recently bought CM MH 751 because some reviews claimed they are the best cans under $100. To be honest that's not how I feel. In terms of frequency balance they're quite OK, nothing stands out. Bass is warm but not overwhelming (like on Cloud Alpha) but mids are thin and recessed, I also feel that mids and bass are detached like some upper bass is missing slightly. Highs are OK, pronounced a bit but clean enough and everything. Sound stage is very decent too. If I listen to them side by side with some other cans, I would rather choose juicer sounding Cloud Alpha (even though I don't like such overwhelming bass, but I would sacrifice that part for fuller mids and better sound-staging) or AKG K92 (again fuller mids, better connected to the bass). Even Samson SR850 I consider analytical sounds a bit juicer in the mids and punchier in the bass. One thing I have to praise is build quality and crazy good comfort, they are the coziest set I ever tried.

I made a video too:

Your reviews are far more informative than Zeos' reviews are - keep making them!

Jun 3, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #2,695 of 4,538
@BenF
Have you tried Sony MDR cd900st(1985)
Well, that headphone is the best headphone I have ever listened too..
Nothing compares to it, and I am serious. That vintage headphone gives electro stats a run for money. With proper amp and DAC, it sounds better than Senn HE1.

Plus you can get it from cartonode engineering(200$). Cartonode is producing it with Sony's permission and is adding more comfortable earpads, detachable cable and foldable headband.

Note: driver diaphragm is amorphous diamond and voice coil is silver with n55 magnet. And frequency response for vintage is 5Hz to 30kHz( which actually overloaded old microphone to give that details, which only happens when you dont see roll off in whole treble region). Plus bass is limitless. And mids are the most natural I have heard till date.

Jun 3, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #2,696 of 4,538
@BenF
Have you tried Sony MDR cd900st(1985)
Well, that headphone is the best headphone I have ever listened too..
Nothing compares to it, and I am serious. That vintage headphone gives electro stats a run for money. With proper amp and DAC, it sounds better than Senn HE1.

Plus you can get it from cartonode engineering(200$). Cartonode is producing it with Sony's permission and is adding more comfortable earpads, detachable cable and foldable headband.

Note: driver diaphragm is amorphous diamond and voice coil is silver with n55 magnet. And frequency response for vintage is 5Hz to 30kHz( which actually overloaded old microphone to give that details, which only happens when you dont see roll off in whole treble region). Plus bass is limitless. And mids are the most natural I have heard till date.
Never had the opportunity to listen to it.
http://www.cartonode.com/ only seems to offer AKG headphones in the online shop.
On the plus side, Pro 82 too rivals my electrostats, only losing to 009 - but not by much.

Jun 3, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #2,697 of 4,538
Don't think I ever changed this setting, but I don't use Idea standalone anyway.
Another poster in the Idea thread said he couldn't hear the difference - I think this may be dependent on your specific USB ports. Worth trying.
Ok Benf, i did the test and WOW, the difference is incredible. Bass is so much better this way. Just try it with the smsl idea alone, it's incredible! Don't forget to restart your computer after the change or the setting will not apply, maybe that's why that guy in the iDea thread didnt notice a difference.

Now i can say with all words: Smsl iDea with this configuration (24/192, buffer setting "standard", max volume on iDea) is better than NX4 DSD for the Takstar Pro 82. It's really a steal for half the NX4 price. Recommend it!

@Aibo , try it too if you still has it.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #2,698 of 4,538
Ok Benf, i did the test and WOW, the difference is incredible. Bass is so much better this way. Just try it with the smsl idea alone, it's incredible! Don't forget to restart your computer after the change or the setting will not apply, maybe that's why that guy in the iDea thread didnt notice a difference.

Now i can say with all words: Smsl iDea with this configuration (24/192, buffer setting "standard", max volume on iDea) is better than NX4 DSD for the Takstar Pro 82. It's really a steal for half the NX4 price. Recommend it!

@Aibo , try it too if you still has it.
Are you sure that reboot is required? When I change the setting, music stops and resumes about a second later - looks like the setting is being applied (Windows 10).
I think I hear slightly more body in the bass, but less transparency in vocals when using "Standard".
The differences are small enough in both regions, probably wouldn't be able to differentiate the settings in a blind test. Could easily be all in my imagination.

Rebooting didn't change much - no dramatic differences.
I think it will largely depend on specific USB ports/motherboard - some people may experience huge difference, some very little, if any at all.
I'm not disappointed though - this just means that I'm getting great sound out of Idea no matter what setting I use.

O2 with Idea is a magical combo though, I use it 99% of the time with Pro 82.

The difference between using Idea on max volume vs non-max is super real though - I always use it on max volume.

P.S. Those who don't have SMSL Idea yet - check the first post for a discount.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #2,699 of 4,538
Never had the opportunity to listen to it.
http://www.cartonode.com/ only seems to offer AKG headphones in the online shop.
On the plus side, Pro 82 too rivals my electrostats, only losing to 009 - but not by much.

http://www.cartonode.com/web-content/body/shop-modheadphone.html

I agree pro82 sounds amazing for the price tag.
I just wanted to shine a light on 1985 headphone which was way ahead of its time.

I m still making some combination of damping scheme for takstar pro82
Aims
-controlled bass boost by switch
-better bass extension in all configuration
-better damped cup resonances
-better frequency management.

Jun 3, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #2,700 of 4,538
Are you sure that reboot is required? When I change the setting, music stops and resumes about a second later - looks like the setting is being applied (Windows 10).
I think I hear slightly more body in the bass, but less transparency in vocals when using "Standard".
The differences are small enough in both regions, probably wouldn't be able to differentiate the settings in a blind test. Could easily be all in my imagination.

Rebooting didn't change much - no dramatic differences.
I think it will largely depend on specific USB ports/motherboard - some people may experience huge difference, some very little, if any at all.
I'm not disappointed though - this just means that I'm getting great sound out of Idea no matter what setting I use.

O2 with Idea is a magical combo though, I use it 99% of the time with Pro 82.

The difference between using Idea on max volume vs non-max is super real though - I always use it on max volume.

P.S. Those who don't have SMSL Idea yet - check the first post for a discount.
Yes, the diference is small but it's there. I didn't notice a change in vocals. Also i'm using it conected to my Asus Strix Z370-E front panel. I would love to buy the O2, but the product + shipping + customs (60%) would make a total of $210 just for the O2 B-Stock for me. So i think i will have to wait a second hand one where i live that probaly will cost the price of a new one ($100 - $120), but still better than $210.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back