Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 14, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #2,611 of 4,538
Sorry these cables are trash. Got two of them and the last one lasted one month.
Are you walking around with Pro 82?
All my cable issues (with any headphones/earphones/earbuds) ended when the cable stopped being caught by an occasional doorknob .

May 14, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #2,612 of 4,538
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...l?spm=2114.12010611.8148356.21.18dfe1c3HwSHub

HTB1jCGZVhTpK1RjSZFKq6y2wXXaN.jpg
Everyone can order now Pro 82 gaming version.

Last edited:
May 14, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #2,613 of 4,538
Assuming the headphones are otherwise the same, I'd like to hear some samples of what that boom mic sounds like!

Regardless of the new arrival, I wanted to hop into this thread and drop my mom's first thoughts on the Pro 82, a pair of which I bought for her to listen to murder mysteries and country music whenever she likes. I gave her some time to feel 'em out, then asked her opinion; she went silent for a moment, before looking down and away, saying:
"They're.. ...Lovely!" >,>​

They really are. As I said in my impressions earlier in the thread, the Pro 82 is the headphone that I kinda wish my teenage and twenty-something self had, all those years ago.

However, I will say, BenF told someone a few pages back, "I couldn't find a better option at 60, 600 or 1600 euros, buy with confidence," but I don't quite agree with that. My daily drivers are Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Purple Hearts, and they give me considerably more frisson and engagement than the Pro 82s. After spending time comparing them head-to-head, my winner in the end was and still is the PH. (But since this is a thread for Pro 82 love, I will at least say that the Pro 82 is more comfortable to wear, looks more sensible in public, does more beautiful things with the female voice, and now comes with a boom mic option, all for a fraction of the price of the Purple Hearts.

The Takstar Pro 82 is wonderful regardless of price, and amazing when you consider the price.)

Last edited:
May 15, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #2,615 of 4,538
May 15, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #2,616 of 4,538
Finally!
Ellie tells me that they didn't receive the shipment from the factory yet though - so before ordering, please chat with her and verify availability.

Considering that the extra compared to the vanilla pro 82 is the cable with microphone, is there any chance that they will sell it separately for those of us who already have one and just want a quality cable with microphone?

May 15, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #2,617 of 4,538
Regardless of the new arrival, I wanted to hop into this thread and drop my mom's first thoughts on the Pro 82, a pair of which I bought for her to listen to murder mysteries and country music whenever she likes. I gave her some time to feel 'em out, then asked her opinion; she went silent for a moment, before looking down and away, saying:
"They're.. ...Lovely!" >,>​

They really are. As I said in my impressions earlier in the thread, the Pro 82 is the headphone that I kinda wish my teenage and twenty-something self had, all those years ago.
Don't we all wish we had Pro 82 years ago :jecklinsmile:

However, I will say, BenF told someone a few pages back, "I couldn't find a better option at 60, 600 or 1600 euros, buy with confidence," but I don't quite agree with that. My daily drivers are Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Purple Hearts, and they give me considerably more frisson and engagement than the Pro 82s. After spending time comparing them head-to-head, my winner in the end was and still is the PH. (But since this is a thread for Pro 82 love, I will at least say that the Pro 82 is more comfortable to wear, looks more sensible in public, does more beautiful things with the female voice, and now comes with a boom mic option, all for a fraction of the price of the Purple Hearts.
Yous should try one of the synergy combos - they can make a huge difference, and it's not just my opinion:
Bankbail's impressions of SMSL Idea and O2
Miguelbazil's impressions of SMSL Idea and O2
About synergy
You may still end up preferring the Purpleheart, because you may listen to different music, or have a different sound preference - but it's worth to hear what Pro 82 is really capable of.

What a great song!

The Takstar Pro 82 is wonderful regardless of price, and amazing when you consider the price.)
No argument here!

May 15, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #2,618 of 4,538
Yous should try one of the synergy combos - they can make a huge difference, and it's not just my opinion

It might not just be an ephemeral "synergy", it might be that the SMSL iDEA is just objectively better than devices like the Oppo HA-2 SE, despite the price difference (<$100 vs. $300). There's not a lot of objective measurements done of consumer audio equipment like DACs and headphone amps, so there is little market pressure on manufacturer's to properly design and test their equipment since marketing, packaging, subjective reviews, and word of mouth subjective impressions are what sway most consumers. The consumer audio market is awash in products with design flaws and oversights. There are some people attempting objective reviews though. For instance:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dea-and-audioquest-dragonfly-black-dacs.2397/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-of-oppo-he-2-se-dac-and-headphone-amp.4597/

From the HA-2 SE conclusions:

"The Oppo HA-2 SE is an attractive unit and produces good performance. Alas, it lacks perfection and best in class execution. Its DAC has some warts such as excessive noise and jitter and anemic output level. Its headphone amplifier is clean with low impedance but does not have competitive amount of power."

From the SMSL iDEA conclusions:

"The Audioquest Dragonfly Black despite its higher price loses to SMSL iDEA. Given the much more extensive format support, better measurements, and higher output level, my recommendation is easily for SMSL iDEA."

May 15, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #2,619 of 4,538
It might not just be an ephemeral "synergy", it might be that the SMSL iDEA is just objectively better than devices like the Oppo HA-2 SE, despite the price difference (<$100 vs. $300)...."

As great as SMSL Idea is, it alone doesn't have synergy with Pro 82.
Neither do SMSL IQ, Oppo HA-2, Oppo HA-2SE, Topping NX4 DSD, Geek Out V2 etc.

Adding O2 to Idea make a great headphone into a TOTL headphone.
Adding O2 to the others I listed doesn't have such effect. Sure, it usually improves SQ somewhat, but the incredible musicality of Idea+O2 (or EL-D01+P10) is unique (each in its own way).

This is not about being "objectively better" - you can't measure synergy, it's pure magic :jecklinsmile:

May 16, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #2,620 of 4,538
Ok, so two years later...I finally ordered a set of Pro82s from China. I got the silver. $62.96 with free shipping.

I'm really hoping I like them. I've been SO incredibly unlucky with headhones in the past few years. I am a HEAVY user, and almost every pair of headphones I've bought in past 5-6 years have broken (Shure, Creative Aurvana, Sennheiser, Superlux) or disintegrated (Grados, Alessandro). Plastic construction has been the main culprit. Second culprit is non-durable wiring that shorts out.

Right now, my last surviving pair of headphones are my Alessandro MS1's.....and although they still sound great, there is a short in the wire, so I have to be careful not to move much while listening.

I love the Grado sound....but the flimsy construction and terrible cables have me looking for something else. I almost ordered the MSUR M350s....but I want over the ear.

So, I bit the bullet and decided to try one last time with a pair of sub-$100 headphones.

If the Takstar Pro82s fail me....then I'll surrender and order an expensive set and be done with it. Fingers crossed....

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #2,621 of 4,538

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-16_18-51-38.png
    upload_2019-5-16_18-51-38.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 0
  • upload_2019-5-16_18-51-47.png
    upload_2019-5-16_18-51-47.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 0
May 16, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #2,622 of 4,538
May 17, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #2,624 of 4,538
Got the Pro82 V1 (because reputable local seller only has this version), pretty happy so far except for the 5k peak of the V1. Decided to try EQ-ing it a bit to be closer to the V2s.

Here's my current parametric eq setting:
4900 Hz, -10 dB, Q 7
9000 Hz, -3 dB, Q 3.5
3357 Hz, +4 dB, Q 4 << only if you find the 3k region too recessed, might actually increase pierce!

uv0HGY6.png

I'm pretty happy with the results. I only turn this EQ on for newer, harshly mixed music. I'm looking at you, speedcore and denpa :)
For older music, rock and jazz records I don't use EQ. Tried AutoEQ with BenF's measurements and Harman's 2018 On-Ear target, but it made it sound waay too dry and actually increased the 3-5k pierce :|
Obviously I'm a noob at EQing, but hopefully this helps someone!

Edit: I figured out how to make AutoEQ follow the v2 frequency curve as a target. Here what it spits out. I've only tested it for a few minutes, but it sounds good so far. Set pre-amp gain to -6.4 dB.
1689 Hz, +2.9 dB, Q 0.45
4149 Hz, +13.6 dB, Q 5.65
4955 Hz, -16.2 dB, Q 1.75
5845 Hz, +8.3 dB, Q 3.00
8823 Hz, -2.4 dB, Q 4.58

Last edited:
May 17, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #2,625 of 4,538
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back