Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 14, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #2,058 of 4,536
No need. It's very linear, and the treble now is much more forgiving.
Do you have any idea what should I do with already ordered porous round one?)))) It would be worth to make a notice on the first page because some people like me could do the same))))

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #2,059 of 4,536
Im not sure should i try the newer version some day, my old pair sounds almost like treble cannon at times.

E: Wow, i just noticed that my review is on the home page. :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #2,061 of 4,536
Is it just me? or Pro 82 seems to excel at electronic music particularly Eurobeat and Darude Sandstorm

Nope, i do think so as well. Its not unusual that U/V-shaped headphones excel at them.

Jun 15, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #2,062 of 4,536
Jun 15, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #2,063 of 4,536
Im not sure should i try the newer version some day, my old pair sounds almost like treble cannon at times.

E: Wow, i just noticed that my review is on the home page. :beyersmile:
Nice review, but it can be very confusing to someone who is not familiar with Pro 82 yet.

(Some people claim that there are two(?) different versions available of these headphones, ”old” version and ”new” version. Only thing that seems to separate them from each other is the cable lenght, ”old” has 2.2m cable vs ”new” has 1.4m. Although there have been discussion about that they seem to have also a slight difference in sound quality. I cant say anything about that, my pair seems to be from the older batch.)
It is a fact, not a claim - and they sound different.
upload_2018-6-15_15-48-19.png

You can tune old Pro 82's treble to sound more like the new one:
Tuning Pro 82 with easy mods

Here is a graph from DIY-Audioheaven and it shows pretty much perfectly how Pro 82 sounds to me: https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/fr-black-1.png?w=614
Why didn't you link to the measurement after proper re-assembly? This one shows huge imbalance - it was disassembled before.

...Some people might argue that bassport ruin all the clarity and detail, maybe slightly so but mainly it just makes midrange sound just a tad more fuller and warmer (and off course pumps up the bass a bit)
Some might. Midrange certainly takes a hit:
upload_2018-6-15_16-7-25.png

Quality of bass is also decreased.

But there is a one strange thing ive noticed on it, sometimes the stereo imaging of Pro 82 can sound a bit imbalanced and give you an impression that the sound is leaning very slightly towards the left channel for example like the center image is missing. This seems to be very track dependant thing though, sometimes i can listen to whole album without noticing anything concrete but when it strikes its a bit confusing. Its even more noticeable when i started to compare Pro 82 to my other headphones. Someone would say that ”they are just true to the original mix” and maybe that is true, who knows. But i still find it somewhat strange that some tracks would be supposed to sound like that. Faulty pair came to my mind as well but ive found few other owners experiencing the same ”issue” so i dont really think that its the case. Not a dealbreaker for me but its sometimes a bit annoying. Maybe a manufacturing error? Extremely transparent stereo imaging? Just my imagination? I dont know.
This is the most confusing part of the review. There have been several samples posted in this thread showing that tracks are sometimes mastered off-center (doesn't matter why) - which can be heard on other headphones.

But treble is kind of their curse and blessing. Treble is responsible of the energy and liveliness on the sound signature but at the same time it feels a little bit too aggressive and forced, almost overemphasized and sometimes it clearly effects even on the midrange in a negative way. In top of that treble can sound metallic and piercing
If treble sounds metallic and piercing, then it's either the mastering or the DAC/Amp. I haven't found a track yet that would sound metallic on either Pro 82 revision and wouldn't on my electrostats.
Tuning foams may help here, but it's not Pro 82's fault.

Amplification
Do they need any? In my opinion, no, not really. They go quite loud and have sounded good on pretty much any device ive connected them with and i didnt really notice any major differences between them including my phone, pc-motherboard and Creative AE-5.
Just because they sound loud enough and "good" on "pretty much any device", doesn't mean they are being driven to the best of their ability.

Off course they sounded better through Creative than a phone but not in a mind blowing way. This off course depends heavily on your equipment, if youre phone, pc or amp device is older or cheaper than mine you might find different results. I know that some people claim that Pro 82 benefits from a high quality dac/amp but i would recommend to take this claim with a grain of salt.
You shouldn't be making such recommendations unless you've tried Pro 82 with proper (non-gaming) DACs and amps.
There is plenty of evidence stated in the reviews linked here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...s-and-discussion-thread.849965/#post-13490897 that Pro 82 scales up beautifully.

...As much as i like the way Pro 82 sounds i still have to say that they are not perfect headphone to me even at this price range... but at the same time pretty close to it. I do think that their sound has some (minor) issues and i dont find them sounding phenomenal in every single track and they make me to reach for other headphones from time to time.
I own 4 headphones in the $1000+ range - none of them sound "phenomenal in every single track".
Don't you think your standard for a 70$ headphone is a bit too high?

Other than the above - very nice contribution!

Jun 15, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #2,064 of 4,536
Nice review, but it can be very confusing to someone who is not familiar with Pro 82 yet.

It is a fact, not a claim - and they sound different.

You can tune old Pro 82's treble to sound more like the new one:
Tuning Pro 82 with easy mods

Why didn't you link to the measurement after proper re-assembly? This one shows huge imbalance - it was disassembled before.

Some might. Midrange certainly takes a hit:

Quality of bass is also decreased.

This is the most confusing part of the review. There have been several samples posted in this thread showing that tracks are sometimes mastered off-center (doesn't matter why) - which can be heard on other headphones.

If treble sounds metallic and piercing, then it's either the mastering or the DAC/Amp. I haven't found a track yet that would sound metallic on either Pro 82 revision and wouldn't on my electrostats.
Tuning foams may help here, but it's not Pro 82's fault.

Just because they sound loud enough and "good" on "pretty much any device", doesn't mean they are being driven to the best of their ability.

You shouldn't be making such recommendations unless you've tried Pro 82 with proper (non-gaming) DACs and amps.
There is plenty of evidence stated in the reviews linked here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tak...s-and-discussion-thread.849965/#post-13490897 that Pro 82 scales up beautifully.

I own 4 headphones in the $1000+ range - none of them sound "phenomenal in every single track".

Other than the above - very nice contribution!

Thank you for your opinion. I might have to do some corrections to the review, i didnt really check it out properly before i sent it.

I stand behind my words, ive seen a lots of graphs about these but that one shows most accurately how Pro 82 sounds to me.

Several other owners have said the same things about the treble as well so i dont think that its my gears fault unless they own AE-5 as well. I dont experience that with my other headphones. Maybe we listen to different music genres? Or maybe im more sensitive to that? And as i said its not always there, i dont really pay attention to it most of the time but when it strikes its annoying enough.

I dont honestly know what makes AE-5 a "gaming amp" other than "Pro-Gaming"-text on the package. What makes audiophile amps "audiophile"? At least its an amplifier and if these would really benefit from a better source i should be able to hear at least some concrete difference in the sound.

And i really recommend to take everything said on this forum with a huge grain of salt no matter what headphone is being talked about. :wink: But this is all imo and i respect your opinions, they are good headphones anyway.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #2,066 of 4,536
@Markolav have you tried the foams suggested by BenF? They are dirty cheap and have a big impact, IMHO. Even without an AMP and DAC.

I do own them, but i realized that i actually like the stock sound more. Im having kind of an "love/hate"-relationship with these headphones, lol.

Jun 15, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #2,067 of 4,536

What a hypocrite. Wasn't it you that was comparing these to much more expensive headphones when it has become painfully clear they are just $80.00 headphones that sound like $80.00 headphones.

Criticising somebodies review the way you have done is not very professional mate. How do you expect to be taken seriously.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #2,069 of 4,536
To be honest, im ok with opinions but being overly fanatic to something is a bit different thing. I reviewed Pro 82 as they are to me and compared them to some other headphones in their price range that i had on hand and i honestly think that SHP9500 is a way better buy than these overall.

I can enjoy Pro 82 about as much as my other headphones but that doesnt necessarily mean that they are doing anything better or even equally than any of them. My favourite headphones? Absolutely not. Pro 82 sounds about as good as 80€/$ (closed) headphone can sound for sure. Would i pay more for them? Maybe, i think that they sound better than my friends M50 that ive been comparing to them for last week but difference is not night and day. Just enough better that i can call them better than M50. If they could really compete with headphones 10-15 times their price like many people have claimed they should wipe floors with (closed back) headphones anywhere near their price but it has been stated multiple times that its not simply the case and i can agree with that. And claims like "32ohm 70-80€ chi-fi-headphone requires equipment worth of hundreds or thousands to be maxed out" just makes me thinking why im reading this forum in the first place.

It was Roderick who summed things up pretty well: "Despite it's faults pro82 is not bad headphone. It's good for what it is. A $70 headphone that can compete with headphones costing twice as much. But so do many other headphones. Nothing new under the sun." Just another good budget option but not anything mind blowing. I think that its time to calm down the hype towards these headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back