Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 25, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #1,126 of 4,538
My 2nd set was arrived, and is better than the previous one which has 1.6 meter long cable and was arrived damaged hard case.
The 1st unit was from Takstar factory store.
This one has 2.2 meter long cable without any external damage which was from Amazon. The 2nd unit has more dynamic range and allow me turn higher volume considerably.
Is there any difference between one with 1.6 and 2.2 meter long cable one?

This unit reminds me of He-500 with respect to speed, and the fast diminishing highs with great comfort. However this phone has brighter vocal than he-500 which is more natural to my ears.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #1,127 of 4,538
OK, I have to agree with @BenF and @bunkbail, the O2, SMSL Idea, and the 82 Pro together have a huge synergy. The damn bass is audibly awesome, still hits dry but it now has a deep component the produces quite a bit more "ooom". The voice is very proeminent, and nice to hear. Even the mids are not as recessed as they were. The guitar solo from the Midnight in Harlem song with the O2 alone seemed to stay a bit behind, which was bothering me. Well, it's a quite more audible with this chain. Back to being awesome again.

Plus, I'm noticing the sibilance is quite a bit more controled, on the Tailor Swift's video that BenF posted on the first page. There's still a bit, but definitely not nearly as aggressive as it was.

I still want to take a bit of time to hear a couple more songs, but all in all, it really takes the whole chain and mod for the 82 Pro to reach high heights. However, now I can hear the lack of quality on some songs on Spotify. I might now have to try and get some higher quality audio to actually see what this chain can do.
Well, if you have to - you have to...
Added a link to the 2nd post.

Jan 25, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #1,128 of 4,538
My 2nd set was arrived, and is better than the previous one which has 1.6 meter long cable and was arrived damaged hard case.
This one has 2.2 meter long cable without any external damage which was from Amazon. The 2nd unit has more dynamic range and allow me turn higher volume considerably.

This unit reminds me of He-500 with respect to speed, and the fast diminishing highs with great comfort.

The Takstar factory reaffirmed that there wasn't any change in the headphones themselves, just the cable and the 3.5mm/6.5mm adapter.
Unless switching cables helps, the difference is probably due to physical damage during shipping - in which case you should return them.

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #1,129 of 4,538

This unit reminds me of He-500 with respect to speed, and the fast diminishing highs with great comfort. However this phone has brighter vocal than he-500 which is more natural to my ears.

Posts like yours surely add to the worry. There shouldn't be any difference in the cable length or dynamic range that produces a higher volume on the 2nd unit of the Pro 82. The volume of the headphones should be essentially the same, and the length of the cable should be the same as well unless the Pro 82 comes in different versions. We are not talking about a 0.1 or 0.2 length difference but a 0.6m difference which is substantial.

I wonder why things such as these happen but if the sound quality remains consistent with the batches it shouldn't matter too much. It will only become an issue if there is a marked difference in sound quality between the batches, one sounding noticeably better (or inferior) than the other one.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #1,130 of 4,538
I've barely gotten my takstars today, but so far i'm liking what i'm hearing overall. I'm not coming here with super high expectations, but its a good headphone worth its price and more. Even compared against my he-400i with ori pads, there is nothing glaringly wrong other than usual dynamics vs open planars.

I'm still burning them in, but was happy with the bass with my usual bass EQ and closed ports. I'm trying burn them in with ports open on my cayin n3 though...maybe to be able to use the ports later.

and my god, they have such synergy with the cayin n3. if you guys say this headphone is dependent on your source chain, then this is the perfect affordable DAP for this headphone. Just warm, smooth, yet still has enough bass for a portable headphone from my little cayin n3 :) I wanted a closed portable affordable headphone I could use with my cayin n3, and I'm already very happy with the pairing, might be better than my modi2/magni3 stack I tried earlier

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #1,131 of 4,538
...the length of the cable should be the same as well unless the Pro 82 comes in different versions. We are not talking about a 0.1 or 0.2 length difference but a 0.6m difference which is substantial.
Pro 82 does come in 2 versions - "old" with 2.2m cable and 3.5mm/6.5mm adapter, "new" with 1.6m cable and no 3.5mm/6.5mm adapter.
TakstarAudio does add 3.5mm/6.5mm adapter as a gift to "new" ones.
The headphones themselves didn't change.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #1,132 of 4,538
I've barely gotten my takstars today, but so far i'm liking what i'm hearing overall. I'm not coming here with super high expectations, but its a good headphone worth its price and more. Even compared against my he-400i with ori pads, there is nothing glaringly wrong other than usual dynamics vs open planars.

I'm still burning them in, but was happy with the bass with my usual bass EQ and closed ports. I'm trying burn them in with ports open on my cayin n3 though...maybe to be able to use the ports later.

and my god, they have such synergy with the cayin n3. if you guys say this headphone is dependent on your source chain, then this is the perfect affordable DAP for this headphone. Just warm, smooth, yet still has enough bass for a portable headphone from my little cayin n3 :) I wanted a closed portable affordable headphone I could use with my cayin n3, and I'm already very happy with the pairing, might be better than my modi2/magni3 stack I tried earlier
Welcome to the club!
Added your impressions to post #3.

Jan 26, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #1,133 of 4,538
...perhaps it would be helpful is posters were to add some idea of context to any impressions e.g. "for the money", "in comparison to x,y or z headphones", "measurements indicate....". That way there is no confusion or ambiguity. Disagreement is still very much possible though :)
Agree 100%.
When someone says that Pro 82 isn't good enough at a specific feature compared to a 500$ headphone, it's perceived completely differently than when someone just says that Pro 82 isn't good enough at a specific feature.
In the latter case, people assume that Pro 82 just is not good at that feature (for a headphone in its own price range).

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #1,134 of 4,538
Pro 82 does come in 2 versions - "old" with 2.2m cable and 3.5mm/6.5mm adapter, "new" with 1.6m cable and no 3.5mm/6.5mm adapter.
TakstarAudio does add 3.5mm/6.5mm adapter as a gift to "new" ones.
The headphones themselves didn't change.

I think there may be more variability than that, and I wonder if it may vary by region?

For example, the boxes shown in this thread for the silver headphones in the Headphoniak store all have white backgrounds, but all the boxes I have received have black backgrounds.

Additionally, the cords on mine, measured from tip to tip are neither 1.6 or 1.9m. They are 1.676m (66 inches).

Here is a summary of my 4 units:

TakstarPro82summary.png

Jan 27, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #1,136 of 4,538
I think there may be more variability than that, and I wonder if it may vary by region?

For example, the boxes shown in this thread for the silver headphones in the Headphoniak store all have white backgrounds, but all the boxes I have received have black backgrounds.
What background is that?

Additionally, the cords on mine, measured from tip to tip are neither 1.6 or 1.9m. They are 1.676m (66 inches).
Here is a summary of my 4 units:
Cable is measured without the plugs, not tip to tip - hence it is 1.6m.

Jan 27, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #1,137 of 4,538
What background is that?

The color behind the headphones; the dominant color of the front of the box. In the photo below, they are white. In all of mine they are black. Did they change the boxes at the same time they changed the cord length?

C_3YsOOUwAE0Tzu.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #1,138 of 4,538
The color behind the headphones; the dominant color of the front of the box. In the photo below, they are white. In all of mine they are black. Did they change the boxes at the same time they changed the cord length?

C_3YsOOUwAE0Tzu.jpg:large
There is no picture in your post...

Jan 27, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #1,139 of 4,538
??? It's showing in the post at my end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back