Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 28, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #1,158 of 4,537
I posted earlier about my new pair of P82 sounding different to the original pair I bought (more low end, less highs). Had more or less ruled out cables and pads playing a part.

Thought it might be production variance as I believe Takstar have previously stated that there have been no revisions to the P82, cable aside.

Peeled off the pads earlier and the plastic grille, vents, tape etc. all look identical. Didn't want to open the headphones up but I did see one difference on the drivers.

With the new pair the centre of the drivers appears to have a darker coloured 'disc' in the centre (dark grey almost metallic looking - may be painted on?) whereas the old pair does not, or if there is such a 'disc' it is white like the surrounding area.

Don't know if this is indicative of a stealth revision and whether or not it would result in sonic differences. Perhaps someone with more expertise in this area may be able to add some thoughts?

Original pair bought late Dec 2017 from Headphoniaks w/ 2.2m cable (older white box):

Z-1YfCi5pFztWl1cDObJ76Y8iv9AvFOXyF6xsDMm9QggkrO1omUsMu6ChqYI6L5ixX0usZuyUSdqo9hPU-5k1djJInbcJAdA_5FQ9FqemlyS-28F2I34kXSAGaRoeBr4JKi2nTZRFg

New pair bought mid-Jan 2018 from Takstar via Aliexpress w/ 1.6m cable (newer black box):

LF_rWJ44k6qrFA7qe2STRJl5nK27plLxXi1OapA-85ixxukMy6019VpHZCXipOyJdNF-M5B-O_Gu7MwNwkx7PK6WA9thWGd52DnOOz6CV-raLsKaSvhZLOKndVw7yyQEFmySIkV2wA
Interesting.
Just for fun, I've sent another inquiry to TakstarAudio - with your pictures.
Most likely, it is a different paint job though, that "darker colored disk" is a "dome vent" - present in all dynamic drivers.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/how-headphone-dynamic-drivers-work
If there is a change, it's encouraging that you like the "new" one better :)
My money is on production variance - no two headphones are the same. It's typical to have variance of plus/minus 2-3dB, even between cups of the same headphone.

Just take a look at a comparison of two LCD-4s (a 4000$ headphone), measured by Bob Katz:
upload_2018-1-29_0-58-12.png

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-episode-16-smoking-gun

Around 8.5kHz the difference is +3dB, and around 10.5kHz it's -6dB - that's a 9dB peak-to-peak difference!

Take a look at differences between 3 different LCD-4s (right channel only), measured by Tyll:
upload_2018-1-29_1-2-26.png

https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...ame-adjustments-focal-utopia-and-audeze-lcd-4
The differences in the 1-4kHz region are astonishing.

And look at the channel imbalance on LCD-4:
upload_2018-1-29_1-8-33.png

Left channel is 2-3dB higher between 1.7kHz and 7kHz, but around 10Khz it's 6dB lower, only to go back higher by 6dB around 15-16kHz - up to 12dB peak-to-peak difference on the same headphone!

And that's a 4000$ headphone, on Tyll's Wall of Fame.
Here is another 4000$ headphone, that Tyll took off WoF to put LCD-4 instead:
upload_2018-1-29_1-22-17.png

They look identical up to about 2kHz (graphs are shifted 5dB), and then it goes completely haywire -even worse than LCD-4.

Here is Utopia's channel imbalance:
upload_2018-1-29_1-25-41.png

Looks much better than LCD-4.
However around 5kHz the difference is 2dB, and between 8kHz and 10Khz it's 4dB in the other direction.

That's two TOTL 4000$ headphones from reputable companies - not DIY...

I'm sure that other TOTL would display similar disparities.
Making headphones is still more art than science.

There are way too many variables - temperature/humidity, time of day, who was operating the machines, where the raw materials came from, how the headphones were stored/transported before getting to you etc.
And that's just for the drivers.
Have you ever considered how headband can affect the sound? If it's just slightly more/less flexible than a headband on another headphone of the same model, it can shift a few dBs either way.
Of course pads can be critical too - if one end of the pad is thinner by 1mm, and another end is thicker by 1mm - you won't be able to see/measure it, but it surely will affect the sound.

I think it's best if we all stop worrying about the variances and just enjoy this amazing headphone - like Jellofund did.

P.S. I'm surely intrigued though by this "new" improved sound - should get my 2 "new" Pro 82s in a couple of weeks.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-29_1-8-9.png
    upload_2018-1-29_1-8-9.png
    162 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #1,159 of 4,537
I was going to order some more as gifts from the Takstar audio store (without the case), but now I'm not sure anymore... is there too much of variance of quality between the separate headphones? =/.

See my post above this one.

Anyone any bad experiences with China Air btw?
It's perfectly fine, but e-Packet is better.

Also, about to order the Objective2 amp! I'm thinking rear mounted power jack, cutting out the batteries, or would that be really foolish? Also, @BenF why do you suggest 1x/3.3x? gain?

Batteries will help you get rid of AC noise.
1x/3.3x is required because Idea puts out 2VRMS, which would cause horrible clipping with higher gain.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #1,160 of 4,537
For those who are interested. I remembered in the review from z reviews why he couldn't understand the 4 pole 2.5 connector. And 3 pole 3.5 mm input.

Yes it has a balanced input.
But the trick of the negative is done in the cable itself.

Ps.
Maybe useless information. And you allready knew. But did my own observations

MVIMG_20180129_085627.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #1,161 of 4,537

Hmmm, I’m out of town but have a FiiO E6 back at home that I’m going to need to try with the Pro 82 when I get back there.

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #1,162 of 4,537
I unfortunately don't have either of those anymore, I sold the Shure's and the M50x were from a friend on a 3 month test period.
If my memory is correct the M50x were a bit too muddy since the bass was overextending into the mids, and they were also sibilant. Soundstage was average.
The Shure's were good but felt a bit too flat, also not the best build quality. Bass was detailed but lacking oomph, mids were really nice and highs were okay. Soundstage was good for closed cans.

Pro 82's have a more fun sound signature, while still sounding very true to the recording. Bass extension is deep enough while remaining surprisingly detailed, mids are a bit recessed but still detailed, highs are crisp and right on the edge of sounding too bright for me but not harsh if that makes sense. It really depends on the recording, if it's a badly done one you'll hear it for sure, but if it's mixed properly then it's really amazing. Instrument separation and soundstage are above average for a closed headphone I'd say.

I've been using my Xonar DGX with all of these, it sounds good to me and I have had no reason to upgrade yet, but probably will in the future.

Your recollection of the Shure SRH940 seems spot on to me, when I compared them to the Pro 82, I found them actually very similar, but the SRH940 has more forward mids.

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #1,166 of 4,537
Hi all,

I'm new to this thread. Ordered Pro82 a week back due to needing a pair of portable closed phones without realising how hyped up these phones are. I made my purchase due to good reviews from Pro80 and I guess they won't be worse than that, because online reviews for pro82 are still sparse, Headfi and Zeos aside. I bought my pair for $60usd from taobao with metal case -Still waiting for it to arrive.

Then I discovered this thread and spent daysss browsing the whole thread. Shoutout to the trainmaster of this hype train BenF. I will be running my pro82 on HA2SE for the moment until I'm able to save up for AudioGD NFB28 & Little Dot MkIIISE balanced. This pair will be used for my commuting or late night listening. I refuse to try idea/O2 since I have other gears in mind for the future.

I take BenF's comments with tablespoons of salt since he compared clarity of pro82 with Stax and also stated HA2 is superior than HA2SE while the general consensus of internet reviews stated otherwise.

I have SRH840, SHP9500 sheepskin pads, M1060 fazor, and a future pair of HD6xx of which I joined the recent drop. Will compare it with my other phones once pro82 arrives.

Cheers!

Hamster

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #1,169 of 4,537
Is the EL-D01 using unique magic or what other DAC is similar?
Unique for sure.
If you have other DAC that sounds cold as ice (which doesn't mean "sibilant" or "treble-forward"), there may be a similar effect, but I don't have such DACs.
I strongly suggest every Pro 82 and E06 owner to invest 9$ in EL-D01, even if you have to skip your morning cappuccino for that.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #1,170 of 4,537
It was a round thin one. The difference in porousness is probably a variation in production though, it can happen with either round or oval one - or neither.
As long as there is a difference in thickness, this should give you enough freedom in tuning Pro 82.

Since using SMSL Idea with O2, I feel no need to use the foams anyway, except when I really want to dial in the mids.
Check the first post for sales on SMSL Idea and O2.

Sorry @BenF for the late answer, I was busy and so now :frowning2:, the only thing because I would not buy, for now, the Idea and the O2 it is because I have just purchased a new amp and a new dap. I have to say that I have listened for a very quick comparison my Nad Viso HP50 and the 82 Pro, well, I think I prefere the Takstar:jecklinsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back