Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 23, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #1,111 of 4,538
Pro 82 missing bass tightness? That's 100% on your chain (S8?).
See one post above yours.
As much as I love the Pro 82, it really lacks in the bass department, especially bass texture and impact. The O2 + iDEA combo can't remedy that, and I doubt any kind of chain would do.

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #1,112 of 4,538
As much as I love the Pro 82, it really lacks in the bass department, especially bass texture and impact. The O2 + iDEA combo can't remedy that, and I doubt any kind of chain would do.

Eh? I don't find that to be the case at all. Unless you're a serious basshead, the bass on the Pro 82 should be plenty sufficient. Do you listen to them flat and in the closed position? Try either the first hole or EQing the bass up slightly.

Mine have a very nice amount of bass impact without going crazy.

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #1,113 of 4,538
Which headphones would you say have better texture and impact?

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #1,114 of 4,538
Eh? I don't find that to be the case at all. Unless you're a serious basshead, the bass on the Pro 82 should be plenty sufficient. Do you listen to them flat and in the closed position? Try either the first hole or EQing the bass up slightly.

Mine have a very nice amount of bass impact without going crazy.
Yeah I'm a basshead, my two early set of headphones are XB950 and M100. I listen to them in the semi-open position (middle) while listening to music, and flat position while gaming. I don't mind the lack of bass quantity in these, but it really lacks the quality of a good bassy headphone. Majority of my song collections sound great with these but I prefer my other headphones (M1060 and HD660S) for EDMs and Technos.

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #1,115 of 4,538
Which headphones would you say have better texture and impact?
Among my current set of headphones (M1060, HD660S, XB950, M100), the Pro 82 is dead last. Like I said before, it has better attributes in other aspect of SQ, so it is a good complement to my other headphones.

Jan 23, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #1,116 of 4,538
Yeah I'm a basshead, my two early set of headphones are XB950 and M100. I listen to them in the semi-open position (middle) while listening to music, and flat position while gaming. I don't mind the lack of bass quantity in these, but it really lacks the quality of a good bassy headphone. Majority of my song collections sound great with these but I prefer my other headphones (M1060 and HD660S) for EDMs and Technos.
That would explain it. This is a balanced headphone, not for bassheads.
I do enjoy it with EDM tremendously though (without bass boost) - bass is very tight and hit sufficiently hard (for a non-basshead)

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #1,118 of 4,538
I find that they lack quality not quantity. It's not bad per se, but could be better for sure.

What?? Please look at the price you are paying... What do want more at this price point...
You have to see it in perspective.

I think the Takstar is the best buy for the money/sound.
But each of their own.... We all have different tastes.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #1,119 of 4,538
We all have different preferences, if he has a very different taste in the bass department, then what he says may hold true to those similar to him.

As for me, my SMSL Idea just arrived, and damn, it is small as hell! It does get warm just getting connected to the usb port of my Xiaomi RN3P. But apparently it wasn't detected as a sound interface, at least I haven't found it yet on the system. Still have to dig around a bit.

EDIT: got it to work with one of the tricks on the SMSL Idea thread. Plug the usb cable without the Idea, start audio on youtube, and then plug in the Idea. It starts working. They really should work on compatibility, but at least it works.

EDIT 2: When I blocked the phone, one of the times, it sent a loud click or something, quite unpleasant. Hope this is not common :S

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #1,121 of 4,538
OK, I have to agree with @BenF and @bunkbail, the O2, SMSL Idea, and the 82 Pro together have a huge synergy. The damn bass is audibly awesome, still hits dry but it now has a deep component the produces quite a bit more "ooom". The voice is very proeminent, and nice to hear. Even the mids are not as recessed as they were. The guitar solo from the Midnight in Harlem song with the O2 alone seemed to stay a bit behind, which was bothering me. Well, it's a quite more audible with this chain. Back to being awesome again.

Plus, I'm noticing the sibilance is quite a bit more controled, on the Tailor Swift's video that BenF posted on the first page. There's still a bit, but definitely not nearly as aggressive as it was.

I still want to take a bit of time to hear a couple more songs, but all in all, it really takes the whole chain and mod for the 82 Pro to reach high heights. However, now I can hear the lack of quality on some songs on Spotify. I might now have to try and get some higher quality audio to actually see what this chain can do.

Jan 25, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #1,124 of 4,538
@BenF can I ask you which pad foam cames with the porous foam? I purchased the round one but cames with the same foam, the only diference is the thickness
It was a round thin one. The difference in porousness is probably a variation in production though, it can happen with either round or oval one - or neither.
As long as there is a difference in thickness, this should give you enough freedom in tuning Pro 82.

Since using SMSL Idea with O2, I feel no need to use the foams anyway, except when I really want to dial in the mids.
Check the first post for sales on SMSL Idea and O2.

Jan 25, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #1,125 of 4,538
I still hear them as slightly slow. On Buena vista social clubs chan chan or veinte anos the maracas in the background (I think it is maracas that sizzling rattle instrument) lacks definition.

Same is true for bass, it lacks impact, tightness, and texture. It is OK on the first and second position, but even the second position gives everything a little weight. The third position is downright flabby-pudding bass.

I would appreciate some grain :D

This caught my attention. I also posses this album (it's mandatory :)) and listened to it in the past. Loaded into Hidizs and plugged DT-1350, I think sound has some apparent "problems" -- hisses, veiled trebles, lack of overall definition etc. It was recorded in Havana, don't know what equipment studio used -- but I can imagine, living in post-communist country, it was not state of the art one. Pro 82 is worse in definition than DT-1350, but not too bad. I guess the lack of definition is mainly accounted to original recording. Even as a "detail whore" (precise definition BTW) I still appreciate how the recording was done. Can't imagine it would follow the sound eg. Eric Clapton's Unplugged -- this would ruin the mood of the music. It basically has to sound like you are in a club filled with cigars' smoke.

[EDIT] I dig out the original CD and it's better -- so partly this is a problem of resample in MP3 format and I have to do it again with a new encoder. But the clarity still not up to some other recordings I listen to. And I'm glad ot it, it would ruin the mood of this music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back