Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 12, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #4,037 of 4,535
Jul 14, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #4,039 of 4,535
I almost missed it - there is a new sale on Aliexpress!
The sale is until midnight Pacific time on July 15, but these coupon codes may expire sooner - hurry!

List was updated at 8AM Eastern Time, July 14th - they were still active at that time.
6$ off 50$
:
SBGAE6
ADMITADB6
ADMITADS6
EPNB6

11$ off 100$:
ZZDS11
ADMITADB11
SBGAE11

Important - just like Aliexpress coupons, these codes can be used on combined order - you can order a 30$ item from one store, and 20$ item from another store - you will be able to use the 6$ off 50$ coupon.

Even more important - during this sale, you can get up to additional 5% off your purchase in exchange for Aliexpress coins on many items

Some purchase ideas:
Little Bear P10 for 56$ ( after the 6$ coupon and a 2$ store coupon) - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32882901310.html
Sabaj DA2 (exact replica of SMSL Idea) for 50$ ( after the 6$ coupon) - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32825193760.html
My favorite Bluetooth DAC/Amp FIIO BTR3K for 61.5$ (after the 6$ coupon and 3.5$ coin savings) - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000849710696.html
(see review here - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fi...bluetooth-amp.24317/reviews#item-review-24719 )

And of course:
Guaranteed Pro 82 v2 for 53$ (after the 6$ coupon and 3.2$ coin savings) - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32808454492.html
GM200 for 55.2$ (after the 6$ coupon and 3.2$ coin savings) - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33012705103.html

Jul 14, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #4,040 of 4,535
How is it going with BTR3K?

Sorry, very busy at work, can't reply at length.

But... Pro 82 v1 + BTR3K + balanced cable is a surgical knife!, sooo crisp and precise, with better spatial cues and layering. If you like detail (I do), I think this combo outputs your music like a nanoscope, a real positive surprise. However, v1 is already quite bright by itself, so it can be too much for long sessions. Also bass is well defined, but perhaps so much that I'm missing bit of oomph and body.

So I wonder now whether v2 would improve on this, since I recall it has a response with less treble and bit more bass. Maybe better match?

Jul 14, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #4,041 of 4,535

My god, where did they get such a horribly measuring Pro 82?
Probably one of the "v0.9" ones.
Just another reminder why it's important to buy the proper v2 at TakstarAudio...

It's good to have reviews, as many as possible. I appreciate the time and effort these people take to elaborate their reports. I do respect ASR in particular.

We all know that sound preference is very subjective, regardless of target curves. Pro 82 has its own faults IMO, like being too bright for some (as I mentioned just above and several other times) or a tad unnatural at times. Still, I find it hard to beat because of price, comfort and the sound they are able to produce.

I wouldn't say it's a bad buy. Specially if you're into this hobby, have other contenders at home (varied selection of sound profiles) and can also have this one more for this cheap. Just my viewpoint.

@BenF: Amir said it's analysis of a unit purchased very recently. How many v0.9 will there still be? :scream:

Jul 14, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #4,042 of 4,535
Sorry, very busy at work, can't reply at length.

But... Pro 82 v1 + BTR3K + balanced cable is a surgical knife!, sooo crisp and precise, with better spatial cues and layering. If you like detail (I do), I think this combo outputs your music like a nanoscope, a real positive surprise. However, v1 is already quite bright by itself, so it can be too much for long sessions.

I agree, Pro 82 v1 from the balanced output of BTR3K sounds too bright.
BTR3K is very transparent, and exposes the treble peaks of v1 too much.

...Also bass is well defined, but perhaps so much that I'm missing bit of oomph and body.

So I wonder now whether v2 would improve on this, since I recall it has a response with less treble and bit more bass. Maybe better match?

Pro 82 v2 completely removes the treble peaks, while lowering the bass a little:
1626275642355.png

Pro 82 v2 sounds much more natural on BTR3K, less analytical.
However, if you want some extra bass rumble, go for GM200:
1626275746549.png

I'm listening to GM200 balanced from BTR3K as I write this, and the bass is simply perfect.
Keep in mind, GM200 won't have the synergy with the "synergy combos" like Pro 82 v1/v2.
But for a truly portable solution that can be used both wired and wireless, BTR3K+GM200 are a great combo.
There is post with coupons higher on this page, GM200 for 55$ is an unbeatable value.

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #4,043 of 4,535
I am using BTR3K mostly wired!, hahaha. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Since I have Apple devices and BT just sucks.

I thought v2 had slightly more bass w.r.t. v1. Or if not substantially, perhaps relatively. I listened to that revision for some time (borrowed from a friend), and found it a bit more congested than v1, therefore preferred the original revision in the end. I must be a weird guy. 😝

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #4,044 of 4,535
I am using BTR3K mostly wired!, hahaha. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Since I have Apple devices and BT just sucks.

I thought v2 had slightly more bass w.r.t. v1. Or if not substantially, perhaps relatively. I listened to that revision for some time (borrowed from a friend), and found it a bit more congested than v1, therefore preferred the original revision in the end. I must be a weird guy. 😝
Did you listen to v2 on a synergy combo? There is no congestion in v2, but lack of treble spikes does make for s smaller (still large though) soundstage. On synergy combos and BTR3K v2 sounds better.

You probably should try GM200, if you want more bass impact than v1.

Jul 14, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #4,045 of 4,535
It's good to have reviews, as many as possible. I appreciate the time and effort these people take to elaborate their reports. I do respect ASR in particular.
I don't like Amir's reviews. His reviews are 95% about measurements and EQ, usually there is only 1-2 sentences about headphone's original sound - sometimes not even that. I never know at the end of his review how the headphone sounds.
He judges headphones based on the results of his equalization - but that's 100% up to him, not a manufacturer.
Pro 82 is not a headphone that takes EQ well - that's typical for perfectly tuned headphones - they are not meant to be EQd.
My Stax 009 is the same way - even a simple bass boost (which Pro 82 does take well), makes it sound bad.

And keep in mind, age related hearing loss is not a joke, the guy is around the age when Tyll had to retire...
His "preference reference" may be dramatically different from preference of most headphone buyers.

...We all know that sound preference is very subjective, regardless of target curves. Pro 82 has its own faults IMO, like being too bright for some (as I mentioned just above and several other times) or a tad unnatural at times. Still, I find it hard to beat because of price, comfort and the sound they are able to produce.

I wouldn't say it's a bad buy. Specially if you're into this hobby, have other contenders at home (varied selection of sound profiles) and can also have this one more for this cheap. Just my viewpoint.
Only Pro 82 v1 can be bright or unnatural on some tracks, v2 is perfect.
Even v1 can be tuned to remove the brightness: Tuning Pro 82 with easy mods

...Still, I find it hard to beat because of price, comfort and the sound they are able to produce.
Amen

@BenF: Amir said it's analysis of a unit purchased very recently. How many v0.9 will there still be? :scream:
Most Pro 82s available right now are still not a proper v2. Buying anywhere but TakstarAudio is a gamble.
His Pro 82 is probably the worst measuring one I've seen.

Jul 15, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #4,048 of 4,535
Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #4,049 of 4,535
Thanks BenF

unfortunately the only Takstar available where I live is the Hd2000 , costs 30 US dollars ...

it is almost the same price of
sennheiser hd206 ,
Tascam Th-02
,and akg k52

MONOPRICE 108323

a hard choice ...

30$ may not be a lot of money, but you still shouldn't waste it on a low quality headphone.
During the current AliExpress sale, you can get a proper Pro 82 v2 for 53$ or GM200 for 55$ (see post earlier on this page).
If you miss this sale, you can use the 4$ coupon codes in the first post.
Trust me, these headphones are worth the wait.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 7:12 AM Post #4,050 of 4,535
I don't like Amir's reviews. His reviews are 95% about measurements and EQ, usually there is only 1-2 sentences about headphone's original sound - sometimes not even that. I never know at the end of his review how the headphone sounds.
He judges headphones based on the results of his equalization - but that's 100% up to him, not a manufacturer.
Pro 82 is not a headphone that takes EQ well - that's typical for perfectly tuned headphones - they are not meant to be EQd.
My Stax 009 is the same way - even a simple bass boost (which Pro 82 does take well), makes it sound bad.

And keep in mind, age related hearing loss is not a joke, the guy is around the age when Tyll had to retire...
His "preference reference" may be dramatically different from preference of most headphone buyers.

Only Pro 82 v1 can be bright or unnatural on some tracks, v2 is perfect.
Even v1 can be tuned to remove the brightness: Tuning Pro 82 with easy mods

Amen

Most Pro 82s available right now are still not a proper v2. Buying anywhere but TakstarAudio is a gamble.
His Pro 82 is probably the worst measuring one I've seen.
Objective measurements are the only thing you can compare. Sound impressions vary from individual to individual, and depend on their taste, preferences and anatomy. I like Amir cause he's not afraid to s**t all over products that don't measure well, while other reviewers just praise them based solely on listening tests. Listening tests alone tell nothing, cause hearing is not consistent and depends on many factors such as mood, level of fatigue and general health.

We don't know what version Amir actually measured, but the PRO82 in itself is not a "be all, end all" headphone. It can successfully compete with headphones up to 400$ based on sound, but fail in build quality. I don't think they can stand against headphones over 400$ at all, unless comparing them to some serious flops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back