Takstar Pro 82/GM200 Review, impressions and discussion thread

Which headphones do you want Pro 82 to be compared with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 19, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #3,661 of 4,538
I am thinking of buying Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, would it be a good match with Takstar 82 Pro?

I also have a Fiio BTR5 which I use in wired mode and balanced output.

And also you would recommend more Takstar 82 Pro or something at double the price like AKG K371, which is the other headphone I'm looking at with interest.

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #3,662 of 4,538
I am thinking of buying Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, would it be a good match with Takstar 82 Pro?
If it's to be used with Pro 82 exclusively, I would advise against it.

This summer, I got that little device with the idea to upgrade the "internals" of my Oppo HA-2, i.e. use Sonata HD Pro as DAC, and HA-2 just as pure amp. The Sonata Pro was highly praised on the ASR forum (it's in fact the very same device as the Hidizs S8):
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dizs-s8-usb-c-headphone-adapter-review.10823/

Alas, pairing it with Pro 82 wasn't any fun: too dry of a sound. I discarded this setup right away, shame; to my ears, it just didn't work.

But, in summer I was mainly using the SHP9500S and the Sonata/HA-2 combo turned out to sound terrific! It tones down those grainy high freqs in the SHP9500S, but without losing detail, it just sounds now more natural to me. It also opens up space a tad more and brings a better layering as well. I really like this sound.
Without the amp in the chain, sound from the SHP9500S was also improved, but thinner.

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #3,663 of 4,538

And also you would recommend more Takstar 82 Pro or something at double the price like AKG K371, which is the other headphone I'm looking at with interest.

isn't BTR5 much better than Sonata?

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #3,665 of 4,538

Get yourself FIIO BTR3K, it sounds wonderful with Pro 82: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/fi...bluetooth-amp.24317/reviews#item-review-24719

Pro 82, of course :jecklinsmile:

Nov 19, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #3,666 of 4,538
So I received my (cancelled) order for the Pro 82 today, I thought it was tubes I had ordered from Hungary but it turned out to be the Takstar headphones! We will see how that (return) goes.
Anywho the box looks great the black road case looks great the headphones look brand new and there's a Takstar sticker on the box to verify authenticity, haven't tried it yet but OK cool.
The cable is right around 89 inches or 2.2 meters, I fired up my Keces amp & DAC and listened to a track from Radio Contact by Acoustic Alchemy. Not bad... I was impressed for 42 bucks.
The Keces just has too much balls though... I barely had the volume up and it was still too loud so I turned my Monolith amp on that runs from a pass-through from the Keces.
Just put some NOS 6N3P Russian drivers and a CEI 6080 power tube in there with good results. The Monolith has a impedance selection knob and set at 16-32 ohm it sounded very good indeed! An improvement from the Keces stack.
Not sure I'll keep them but they sound really nice right now playing some Lee Ritenour ~ Wes Bound...nice low end (ports closed) and detailed highs relaying that tube texture but the lows are a stand out right now and I'm thoroughly enjoying this disc. Gonna let them simmer on low tonight and see\hear what tomorrow brings.

Nov 19, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #3,667 of 4,538
I also received Pro 82 today, from Takstar official store on Amazon when it was on sale for $60 (not anymore). Also has a 2.2 meter cable, not the shorter one. It's legit, definitely worth the money and competes above its price bracket no doubt. Running on Asgard 3, easy to drive.

Nov 20, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #3,668 of 4,538
So I received my (cancelled) order for the Pro 82 today, I thought it was tubes I had ordered from Hungary but it turned out to be the Takstar headphones! We will see how that (return) goes.
Anywho the box looks great the black road case looks great the headphones look brand new and there's a Takstar sticker on the box to verify authenticity, haven't tried it yet but OK cool.
The cable is right around 89 inches or 2.2 meters, I fired up my Keces amp & DAC and listened to a track from Radio Contact by Acoustic Alchemy. Not bad... I was impressed for 42 bucks.
The Keces just has too much balls though... I barely had the volume up and it was still too loud so I turned my Monolith amp on that runs from a pass-through from the Keces.
Just put some NOS 6N3P Russian drivers and a CEI 6080 power tube in there with good results. The Monolith has a impedance selection knob and set at 16-32 ohm it sounded very good indeed! An improvement from the Keces stack.
Not sure I'll keep them but they sound really nice right now playing some Lee Ritenour ~ Wes Bound...nice low end (ports closed) and detailed highs relaying that tube texture but the lows are a stand out right now and I'm thoroughly enjoying this disc. Gonna let them simmer on low tonight and see\hear what tomorrow brings.
Can you please post pictures of the box (from all sides) and the cable?

Is the "black road case" this one?
1605876275910.png

Nov 20, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #3,669 of 4,538
Yes BenF that's the case I'll take some pics when I'm out of work and post them. I like the cable it has a nice screw on adapter and feels like the right thickness.
Funny my Monolith is capable of 1w into 16-32 ohms but sounds great with the Pro82, The Keces system on the other hand which has much less power is no where as good a pairing. I listened for a while last night and came away impressed.

Nov 20, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #3,670 of 4,538
I also received Pro 82 today, from Takstar official store on Amazon when it was on sale for $60 (not anymore). Also has a 2.2 meter cable, not the shorter one. It's legit, definitely worth the money and competes above its price bracket no doubt. Running on Asgard 3, easy to drive.
If Takstar reverted to the old box and cable designs in recent batches, this will really complicate things. We'll only have the price to identify v0.9...

Nov 20, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #3,671 of 4,538
If Takstar reverted to the old box and cable designs in recent batches, this will really complicate things. We'll only have the price to identify v0.9...
https://imgur.com/a/V6wBVfX
edit: i did the case and not shipping box, not sure which you meant

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #3,674 of 4,538
Is GM200 better than Pro 82 or they are just the same?
From my GM200 review (https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/takstar-gm200.23913/reviews):
"Bass is the region that makes all the difference from Pro 82 v2. Look at the FR below:
upload_2019-8-27_2-8-10.png

Down to 400Hz, GM200 and Pro 82 v2 are practically identical, but below that mark GM200 start following Fostex TH900 MK2 all the way down to 80Hz, where they do part ways.
However, even at 22Hz, you can see that GM200 has 6.2 more dBs of sub-bass over Pro 82, and TH900 has only 2.6dBs more than GM200

Mids and treble sound very similar on GM200 and Pro 82 - but the tonal balance of GM200 is warmer, shifting the timbre just a bit off - not by much though, it's still better than many much more expensive headphones.
The electrostat-like transparency of Pro 82 is slightly reduced on GM200 as well.

I would say that GM200 sounds closest to Sony Z1R - they both sound like a warmer version of Pro 82 with meatier bass.
GM200 would probably have the edge on bass control and timbre, while Z1R would definitely have wider soundstage - I don't have Z1R to A/B with me, have to rely on my notes and memory. "

So if you prefer bassier than neutral headphones, go for GM200.
If you prefer perfect tonality (especially if you can invest in a synergy combo), go for Pro 82.
If you are not sure what your preference is - go for Pro 82.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back