T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid Discussion Thread.
Sep 17, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #856 of 1,424
Cool. I've got some 400 and 500 TS Comply and will give them a try.

@olddude: Have you tried TS Comply? They're also shorter but denser and are more expensive.

The Comforts?  I listen while walking, so have stayed with the Isolation and the Active.  If I have tried the Comfort, it was with my TF10s, not the Dunus or Altones.  The Isolation + have a wire mesh for earwax, and those seem to be the most expensive.  I used them for a while, but felt the mesh was dampening sound a bit.  Then went back to Isolation and was happy.  But I had found some Complys at Radio Shack, and they turned out to be Actives.  Currently am enjoying them, hoping that they hold up for a few months.  Complys tend to wear out, and since I'm walking - and it's really hot in SoCal right now - they tend to wear out faster.

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #859 of 1,424
Most affordable hybrid is the sidy dgs100 at $85 but its not a 3way but 2way which sounds very delicious :yum:

Which one is better in your opinion?

And in the Vivo Thread you mentioned that the Vivo XE800 is even clearer than the Altone 200. Can't figure out how the clarity of the Altone can be topped 
biggrin.gif
 Just joking, do you still think that it is better than the Altone? 

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #860 of 1,424
  To each their own.  I love mine, I listen to them much more than I do my Dunu1000s.  I'm not experiencing "spikes" or other strangenesses.  The mids are incredibly clear and well-defined, that's the strongest area of the Altones.  Bass is strong and solid (remember these are fairly neutral iems, not supposed to be bass-y).  The highs can get close to being shrill without going there, but the right tips handle that.  The sound is clear and well-defined.  With well-mixed music the sound is exceptional.  With poorly-mixed music they still sound quite good.  I don't understand the post above except to consider that that person's listening preferences are in some way far different than the rest of the people's on this thread.  

For months people have been raving about the Altones (with the exception of people who had the broken units).  They still bring a smile to my face whenever I use them.  For the money I spent, they are worth every dollar.  I would suggest that ANYONE who is looking for a good set of iems spend the (moderate) money to purchase them.  They cost less than my TF10s and my Dunus, and they are clearly head and shoulders above either.  

X2 ...olddude. Im of the same opinion. Ofcourse you cannot please everyone...They are certainly worth every dollar I spent for me. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #863 of 1,424
The Dunu1000 has tons of sub bass and bass, and enough timbre to plant a forrest, but the Altone is all over it.  I liked the Dunus because of that timbre, but the Altones put the lie to the bass floor that was soaking up so much of the mids and detail.  As for too bright, I think it can be close to that (but not there), but with the right tips it is really quite delicious in the uppers.  I've only heard a couple of songs that were in the "area" of too bright, and I think it was their mix, not the Altones.  For the other 1,000s of songs on my DX50, the mids and top end are the selling point.  The bass, which some say is a bit weak, is only not present when the mix doesn't have bass- which to my mind is how they should be.  I don't want my iems ADDING bass (as the Dunu1000s do).  On anything with bass or good bass or great bass, the Altones shake, rattle and roll.  In fact, on some tracks it seems they have all the bass I can handle (not a basshead).  Stevie Wonder and late-era Beatles can really shake up my head with bass.  I've recently added some DSF files (dialed down to 24/176 so my DX50 can play them), and they are shaking everything up.  

I want to hear my music as it is, so with good sound files and a good player, I also want iems that deliver what is on the track.  I don't want to eq or HAVE to eq.  The Altones have been great for that.  I'm not even looking at anything else at this point, these are so good.  

Sep 18, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #865 of 1,424
I've informed the USA Altone200 tour leader that all future impressions will be logged in their own separate thread (which they will create) Unfortunately there's just been too much trouble between some USA members and T-Peos as company in general. I'm not having my thread and its members, also happy owners of Altone200 taking any of that on. 

Cheers
H20

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #866 of 1,424
  I've informed the USA Altone200 tour leader that all future impressions will be logged in their own separate thread (which they will create) Unfortunately there's just been too much trouble between some USA members and T-Peos as company in general. I'm not having my thread and its members, also happy owners of Altone200 taking any of that on. 

Cheers
H20

I sincerely hope this wasn't directed at me. I gave my opinion of the iem itself, not involving T-Peos at all. I went as far as to recommend T-peos' H-200, which I raved over, as a much better option that retains a similar sound signature.

If you view that as "trouble", I'm not sure what to tell you. This is an impressions thread, and I posted impressions.

Sep 18, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #867 of 1,424

Cheers
H20

+

I sincerely hope this wasn't directed at me. I gave my opinion of the iem itself, not involving T-Peos at all. I went as far as to recommend T-peos' H-200, which I raved over, as a much better option that retains a similar sound signature.

If you view that as "trouble", I'm not sure what to tell you. This is an impressions thread, and I posted impressions.

I believe that he might be referring to the problem with the batches.

The reliability with T-Peos as a company name has been besmirched for these early batch faults. Now that they're fixing it, the people who were disappointed with the failures may have spread negative information about T-Peos' quality control and the lack of bass this iem may have had.

These conflicting opinions cannot be cleaned up, so based on speculation, migrating to a separate thread is imperative to prevent any further disruptions of the good sound this IEM may provide. To avoid a latent debacle from ensuing, the members of this thread may move to this new one in order to prevent anyone from asking any further questions that may feel badgered for answers to the earlier batch ordeal in T-Peos' Altone 200.

If this turns out to be true, no worries. :) Just enjoy whatever iem suits you for the moment until we have H20 himself clarify.

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #868 of 1,424

I did not fully agree with your impression as well but appreciate your honest input. If someone faults you for that then it will be a failure for head-fi community. I am pretty sure H20 was not referring to your post... no worries...

Cheers
Pat

Sep 18, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #869 of 1,424
  I did not fully agree with your impression as well but appreciate your honest input. If someone faults you for that then it will be a failure for head-fi community. I am pretty sure H20 was not referring to your post... no worries...

Cheers
Pat

Indeed, it is just coincidence.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #870 of 1,424
Now I'm getting PMs about this, can I suggest that impressions include three things:

1. What music you're listening to. Someone listening to classical is going to have a different impression that someone listening to compressed pop or rock, for example.
2. How loud you listen, even generally, eg: "At a quiet level", "At a moderate level" or "Loud" is fine. This is more important than people realise.
3. What gear you're using. Maybe less important now that most devices work fine with IEMs, but a brighter headphone or IEM will pick up any harshness in the treble more easily than others, for example. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back