T-PEOS Altone200 - 3 - Way - Hybrid Discussion Thread.
Sep 18, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #871 of 1,424
There were only a few (less than 5-10 as posted here) bass-less Altones and only 2-3 posts re connectors being loose on one earpiece.  The rest of the posts were about how to tell if your device had one of these problems or about how good yours was.  And the problems were resolved by the company in the space of a few weeks once the problems were discovered.  I sent mine back to be sure it was completely functional (it was) and have had excellent service from T-Peos.  Many new devices have teething issues (buy a new car lately?), so to my mind these issues were no big deal AND the company made good on any issues immediately.  

As for sound, I too think people should be posting equipment used, type of sound files and any other relevant info when posting (good or bad) info about their listening experience. Also, when they bought their unit or is it a borrowed one and. if borrowed, does the poster's opinion agree with the original owner's if s/he posted previously (differences in user's experience). I'm seeing lots of posts here all of sudden re "too bright" and my empirical experience has been that, for me, that is not the case.  And, up until now that has not been the type of post I've been seeing here.  The majority of posters here did not report "too bright," they reported excellent mids and highs.  Has something changed that we are now seeing this new issue on this thread all of a sudden?

To start off, I use only FLAC, at the highest resolution I can get, in an iBasso DX50 with a JDSLabs C5.  Comply tips.  Old rock and roll (Beatles, Traffic and the like), moderate to loud volume.  I bought my first Altones from the first batch sent out.  After they were checked out at the factory, I gave them to a friend (who is enjoying them immensely) and got a 2nd set, as I liked them so much.  I may buy a few more sets for other friends as gifts.  And my Altones were burned-in carefully for 70 hours.  

Sep 18, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #872 of 1,424
  Now I'm getting PMs about this, can I suggest that impressions include three things:

1. What music you're listening to. Someone listening to classical is going to have a different impression that someone listening to compressed pop or rock, for example.
2. How loud you listen, even generally, eg: "At a quiet level", "At a moderate level" or "Loud" is fine. This is more important than people realise.
3. What gear you're using. Maybe less important now that most devices work fine with IEMs, but a brighter headphone or IEM will pick up any harshness in the treble more easily than others, for example. 

For the Altone200, 

1. Leonard Cohen, Feist, Tallest Man in the World, some Jamaican dancehall, Rap, R&B, some rock..and much more.

2. I listen at about the equivalent of 45% volume on an iPhone 4.

3. Gear: Fiio X5 as a USB DAC, amped with the Tralucent T1.

I believe that he might be referring to the problem with the batches.

The reliability with T-Peos as a company name has been besmirched for these early batch faults. Now that they're fixing it, the people who were disappointed with the failures may have spread negative information about T-Peos' quality control and the lack of bass this iem may have had.

These conflicting opinions cannot be cleaned up, so based on speculation, migrating to a separate thread is imperative to prevent any further disruptions of the good sound this IEM may provide. To avoid a latent debacle from ensuing, the members of this thread may move to this new one in order to prevent anyone from asking any further questions that may feel badgered for answers to the earlier batch ordeal in T-Peos' Altone 200.

If this turns out to be true, no worries. :) Just enjoy whatever iem suits you for the moment until we have H20 himself clarify.

That's really not the impression I got, honestly. He specifically pointed out the USA tour members, and I'm the only one to have posted impressions so far. Also, the line "there's been too much trouble between some USA members and T-Peos as a company" seems to be especially directed at me, given my not so secret distaste for the H-100 and the tour I put on for it here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/636818/t-peos-h-100-hybrid-dynamc-ba-earphone-loaner-tour-impressions

Nothing about lacking bass was mentioned in my post, so I really doubt it was about QC.

Sep 18, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #873 of 1,424
I really like my altone200. They are in my top 5 favorite if I'm not mistaken.

However, they aren't perfect, nor is any iem in existence.

Any remarks or impressions that aren't positive doesn't mean that they are awful, and aren't a direct attack against the product or manufacturer.

I really enjoyed my experience in all areas in purchasing my altone200. Customer service was top notch, and the product was great.

The cool thing about this hobby is the diversity of what we perceive as good/better/best.

It's all a matter of preference.

These altone200 are highly recommended, but might not the best option for everyone shopping for earphones depending on their particular sound preference, choice, listening volume ect. The same can be said for every headphone/earphone that exists.

Sep 18, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #876 of 1,424
  There were only a few (less than 5-10 as posted here) bass-less Altones and only 2-3 posts re connectors being loose on one earpiece.  The rest of the posts were about how to tell if your device had one of these problems or about how good yours was.  And the problems were resolved by the company in the space of a few weeks once the problems were discovered.  I sent mine back to be sure it was completely functional (it was) and have had excellent service from T-Peos.  Many new devices have teething issues (buy a new car lately?), so to my mind these issues were no big deal AND the company made good on any issues immediately.  

As for sound, I too think people should be posting equipment used, type of sound files and any other relevant info when posting (good or bad) info about their listening experience. Also, when they bought their unit or is it a borrowed one and. if borrowed, does the poster's opinion agree with the original owner's if s/he posted previously (differences in user's experience). I'm seeing lots of posts here all of sudden re "too bright" and my empirical experience has been that, for me, that is not the case.  And, up until now that has not been the type of post I've been seeing here.  The majority of posters here did not report "too bright," they reported excellent mids and highs.  Has something changed that we are now seeing this new issue on this thread all of a sudden?

To start off, I use only FLAC, at the highest resolution I can get, in an iBasso DX50 with a JDSLabs C5.  Comply tips.  Old rock and roll (Beatles, Traffic and the like), moderate to loud volume.  I bought my first Altones from the first batch sent out.  After they were checked out at the factory, I gave them to a friend (who is enjoying them immensely) and got a 2nd set, as I liked them so much.  I may buy a few more sets for other friends as gifts.  And my Altones were burned-in carefully for 70 hours.  

For the Altone200, 

1. Leonard Cohen, Feist, Tallest Man in the World, some Jamaican dancehall, Rap, R&B, some rock..and much more.

2. I listen at about the equivalent of 45% volume on an iPhone 4.

3. Gear: Fiio X5 as a USB DAC, amped with the Tralucent T1.

That's really not the impression I got, honestly. He specifically pointed out the USA tour members, and I'm the only one to have posted impressions so far. Also, the line "there's been too much trouble between some USA members and T-Peos as a company" seems to be especially directed at me, given my not so secret distaste for the H-100 and the tour I put on for it here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/636818/t-peos-h-100-hybrid-dynamc-ba-earphone-loaner-tour-impressions

Nothing about lacking bass was mentioned in my post, so I really doubt it was about QC.

I was hoping you would not pick out this glaring flaw in my argument. I knew that it was weak enough for anyone to refute my optimism with this fact. 
redface.gif

Yeah, I had no way of counteracting that logic. You're right, as I forgot that there was a tour going on a month or so back in this thread. I just hope  everything goes well now. 
redface.gif

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #877 of 1,424
My Altones are on their way back to me. Repaired with a new cable. Let's hope it does the trick!!

Sep 20, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #878 of 1,424
my pair arrived 2 days ago, excellent customer service. We have a few email clarifications here and there but the response and answers are usually very concise. Nice.

I was listening with the Vsonic GR07, the immediate difference is the bass, oh baby the extension and quantity.... it could also be the case that i could not get a decent seal with the GR07. I will have to give it a lot more listening to comment on the sound. So far, i like it alot. 

Sep 21, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #879 of 1,424
I've been doing some "critical" listening.  I just got a SACD Layla in a DSF file, brought it down to 24/176 so I could play it on my iBasso, and tried it out with the Altones.  Superb.  No shrill on the highs (and the highs on the end of the title song can certainly skew that way), incredible thump in both channels, strong bass without being overpowering.  Guitars very clear, vocals very clear.  I've been listening to this album since its release in the oh so distant past, starting with vinyl, then the half speed master vinyl (with the missing line!), then CD, a Dr. Roberts remaster, then a newer remastered CD, recently I tried the CD layer of an SACD, and now this one.  Gotta say, this is very impressive.  I think the Dunus would have filled-up the bottom end with low frequency, the Altones kept everything nice and clear.

To follow up on that, I just got some 10CC in SHM-CD, A Night In Paris and How Dare You, both of which can be on the very-bright side.  With these mixes, and the Altones, they were perfect.  Strong bass, and the treble was well within the boundary of good.  Mids and vocals were spot on.

I suppose it is a matter of your ears and what you like, but I can't find anything wrong with these iems.  The sound is clear and smooth, bass and sub-bass are rock solid, mids are incredible, and treble is really strong.  Bright?  Sure.  I want to hear the upper end the way some bassheads want to hear bass.  But too bright?  I've had that issue perhaps on 3-5 songs.  And that I chalk up to mixing, not earphones.  

Sep 26, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #880 of 1,424
Picking mine up from the post office tomorrow, quick question, does anyone know what Comply tips size to use for the altone200 (they are not listed in Comply's guide)?  Also,are Comply's better than the foam tips that come with the altone200s?

Sep 26, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #882 of 1,424
I'm using T400s

Sep 27, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #884 of 1,424
I'm using one of those, too - the TS version. They're rounded and more comfortable. They're also shorter than regular Comply and won't absorb as much of the high end. That said, if you're treble averse you might prefer the regular (longer) Comply which can help take the edge off their revealing high end.

Sep 28, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #885 of 1,424
Do you think is it right to have price increase for an IEM when its getting popular? From the first time i knew this IEM it start at $125 then when it become popular it went up to $145 and 3 days ago they make announcement to increase the price to $185 on October 1? Its same price of DN1k already. First I want to say, This IEM become popular because at a price of $125 it can go head to head or on par with $200 IEM which is last year best IEM DN1k. Actually im kinda pissed off for 4 months I think im been following this IEM and planning to buy this one on my Birthday on november because at it price $125 or $140 its promising. Now with price news of price increase its hard to me to buy this one already. 

Anyway its just my runt for making a price increase $185 before my birthday. I think ill hold off my plan on this IEM hahaha.

Actually this is the first time I see IEM increase price instead of lowering it or staying at that price after a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back