T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Feb 8, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #1,741 of 1,838
I know that a lot of people are very desperate for knowing my present score between the ST and the iO-12 (considering only sound quality). So, here is the last update, after testing 71 tracks:

35 --- ST preference
14 --- iO-12 preference
22 --- Tie (7 with small preference for ST; 6 with small preference for iO-12; 9 with no preference = complete tie for my taste)

In my previous post I comparing 71 tracks, and now is 31 more tracks for total 102 tracks (13 of the "tie" tracks, where I favouring one or the other, I testing again and I having the same result). So right now this my score until today:

49 --- ST preference
18 --- iO-12 preference
35 --- Tie (14 with small preference for ST; 11 with small preference for iO-12; 10 with no preference = complete tie for my taste)

Feb 9, 2024 at 3:54 AM Post #1,742 of 1,838
Interesting. Do you notice any audio quality improvements with the Mojo 2 at all? Or is it more or less the same as HQ mode?
I notice a difference when I am listening intently in a quiet environment without reading a book, daydreaming or other distractions. But in those circumstances I generally use my open back headphones because of the open soundstage. Those circumstances I only encounter at home, so I could use a stationary dac/amp combo for that, but I don't have that at the moment. So I use the Mojo. When there's family around, while at work or on the go, wired through Mojo doesn't add anything sound quality wise for me over bluetooth high quality mode. And Mojo is not really mobile for me, it's too bulky for that. But I have quite a busy life with young children, work on different locations, biking in the rain, commuting in train and subway. If you have more space and tranquility (and better ears? :)), maybe a very good dongle or DAP could be worth it. It's definitely not a must in my experience. If you buy one, buy a high end one so it can compete with the built in dac and amp of the Solitaire T. But I would invest that money rather in a really nice stationary dac/amp like Geshelli or one of the better Asian ones and a pair of open back headphones. For me the combination of Solitaire wireless HQ mode for most listening everywhere, open back + good amplification for intent listening at home and the AirPods Pro 2 for sports, calling, movies (atmos) and always in my pocket backup makes the most sense.

Feb 9, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #1,743 of 1,838
I notice a difference when I am listening intently in a quiet environment without reading a book, daydreaming or other distractions. But in those circumstances I generally use my open back headphones because of the open soundstage. Those circumstances I only encounter at home, so I could use a stationary dac/amp combo for that, but I don't have that at the moment. So I use the Mojo. When there's family around, while at work or on the go, wired through Mojo doesn't add anything sound quality wise for me over bluetooth high quality mode. And Mojo is not really mobile for me, it's too bulky for that. But I have quite a busy life with young children, work on different locations, biking in the rain, commuting in train and subway. If you have more space and tranquility (and better ears? :)), maybe a very good dongle or DAP could be worth it. It's definitely not a must in my experience. If you buy one, buy a high end one so it can compete with the built in dac and amp of the Solitaire T. But I would invest that money rather in a really nice stationary dac/amp like Geshelli or one of the better Asian ones and a pair of open back headphones. For me the combination of Solitaire wireless HQ mode for most listening everywhere, open back + good amplification for intent listening at home and the AirPods Pro 2 for sports, calling, movies (atmos) and always in my pocket backup makes the most sense.
Thanks. I've got a used one coming tomorrow... I may very well have wasted some money on it, but we'll see. I'll be comparing it to an RME Babyface Pro FS, which supposedly has a very good DAC, but a lower powered amp (I know this likely doesn't matter since the ST are easy to drive).

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #1,745 of 1,838
I just received a Naim Unit Atom HE that I wanted to use with a wired (Pentaconn) connection to my Solitare T. The headphone has worked fine on BT, but I get no sound when wired. Also, an old Senn headphone with 6.3 jack works in the Naim. Any ideas for connecting the Naim and headphone via Pentaconn as I planned? Thanks!

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #1,746 of 1,838
I just received a Naim Unit Atom HE that I wanted to use with a wired (Pentaconn) connection to my Solitare T. The headphone has worked fine on BT, but I get no sound when wired. Also, an old Senn headphone with 6.3 jack works in the Naim. Any ideas for connecting the Naim and headphone via Pentaconn as I planned? Thanks!

Did you press the headphone button?
Balanced output defaults to XLR on the Naim. Pressing the headphone button activates the Pentaconn connector on the front panel of the Naim HE

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #1,747 of 1,838
Thanks, that worked. But now I have another newbie problem. If I choose “radio” on the Naim, I hear radio on the wired headphones. But when I open the Qobuz app on my iPad and choose a track, it only plays through the iPad speaker. How do I send the sound to the Naim?

Feb 22, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #1,748 of 1,838
Thanks, that worked. But now I have another newbie problem. If I choose “radio” on the Naim, I hear radio on the wired headphones. But when I open the Qobuz app on my iPad and choose a track, it only plays through the iPad speaker. How do I send the sound to the Naim?
Spotify and Tidal have a so-called ‘connect’ functionality that allows them to ‘cast’ music from within their own apps directly to the Naim. Qobuz has plans to also do that, but hasn’t developed this option inside their app yet. Until that happens the only way is to use the Focal & Naim app and operate Qobuz from there … (you need to configure your Qobuz account and password inside the Naim app for that)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #1,749 of 1,838
Could someone with a Solitaire T and another Bluetooth over-ear headset please compare the microphone volume between those two headsets on an iPhone? You can use voice memo to record your voice. My ST mic seems to have very low volume (12 db lower) compared to my QC 35 II. I don't know if it was always like this, but it's quiet enough that people I talk to have a hard time hearing me. Thanks.

This was my test. This was 95th percentile. Not super scientific since it was just my voice and not a fixed volume recording, but it matches my experience.
  • Bose QC 35 II: -27.11 dB
  • Speakerphone: -27.44 dB
  • Solitaire T: -39.94 dB

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #1,750 of 1,838
Joining the ST club, albeit a little belatedly. I think it was only when the reviews have been coming out that I have read more into the technical aspects that T+A built into the HP.

And of course a bit of reading into this thread was most helpful as well. For that, I am grateful for the little community here for articulating the strengths and weaknesses of the ST.🙏

It is a God send for me. I find myself where I will have need for a compact HP, as an alternative to my custom IEMs during a prolonged 4 week stay. I was pondering which of my HPs to bring in with me. I was looking my BT HPs but, as has been pointed out in various posts in this thread, a lot of them have their weaknesses in terms of SQ. I do enjoy the ML 5909 but I wanted something more.

So, last night, I bit the bullet and thanks to @Uncle Wilson and Claire from Jaben SG, my own Solitaire T was delivered this afternoon. It gives me enough time to become accustomed to it before I go in for my stay in 3 and half weeks’ time. I am excited because I am no stranger to BT HPs, but in recent years, I have preferred customs when I travel for work or for longer flights. I look forward to having a balanced BT HP which can be an alternative on such trips. :)

IMG_3445.jpeg

Feb 28, 2024 at 7:03 AM Post #1,751 of 1,838
Joining the ST club, albeit a little belatedly. I think it was only when the reviews have been coming out that I have read more into the technical aspects that T+A built into the HP.

And of course a bit of reading into this thread was most helpful as well. For that, I am grateful for the little community here for articulating the strengths and weaknesses of the ST.🙏

It is a God send for me. I find myself where I will have need for a compact HP, as an alternative to my custom IEMs during a prolonged 4 week stay. I was pondering which of my HPs to bring in with me. I was looking my BT HPs but, as has been pointed out in various posts in this thread, a lot of them have their weaknesses in terms of SQ. I do enjoy the ML 5909 but I wanted something more.

So, last night, I bit the bullet and thanks to @Uncle Wilson and Claire from Jaben SG, my own Solitaire T was delivered this afternoon. It gives me enough time to become accustomed to it before I go in for my stay in 3 and half weeks’ time. I am excited because I am no stranger to BT HPs, but in recent years, I have preferred customs when I travel for work or for longer flights. I look forward to having a balanced BT HP which can be an alternative on such trips. :)

They are the best ANC heaphones on flights that I've owned. Bose and Sony are a little bit better in the ANC department, but can't remotely compete with the ST sound. Congrats.

Feb 28, 2024 at 8:07 AM Post #1,752 of 1,838
They are the best ANC heaphones on flights that I've owned. Bose and Sony are a little bit better in the ANC department, but can't remotely compete with the ST sound. Congrats.
Thanks! Yeah… Bose and Sony sort of wore me out with their bass boost. I still use them in the office cos they are not on my ears all the time. On flights, it is a different thing. Tomorrow I shall try plugging them into my desktop rig. And in due course will also try the USB C connection with my DAPs as well. I will say that the HQ option surprised me with the SQ. :)

Feb 28, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #1,753 of 1,838
Thanks! Yeah… Bose and Sony sort of wore me out with their bass boost. I still use them in the office cos they are not on my ears all the time. On flights, it is a different thing. Tomorrow I shall try plugging them into my desktop rig. And in due course will also try the USB C connection with my DAPs as well. I will say that the HQ option surprised me with the SQ. :)

Using ANC on ST wired is pretty solid too.

The USB C capability is marginal due to low volumes. I've had poor luck in that regard.

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #1,754 of 1,838
Perhaps a little late but quite a useful tip nonetheless. For those with iPhone 15s and future models, there is a great possibility to use the Solitaire T with APTX HD. All it takes is a Creative BT-W5 USB-C dongle. There also are the W3, W3X and W4, but I'd recommend the W5 because it is the only dongle to combine both APTX-HD and APTX Adaptive in one single dongle, and is the only Creative dongle that supports 24bit/96khz

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #1,755 of 1,838
Perhaps a little late but quite a useful tip nonetheless. For those with iPhone 15s and future models, there is a great possibility to use the Solitaire T with APTX HD. All it takes is a Creative BT-W5 USB-C dongle. There also are the W3, W3X and W4, but I'd recommend the W5 because it is the only dongle to combine both APTX-HD and APTX Adaptive in one single dongle, and is the only Creative dongle that supports 24bit/96khz

Ordered

I tried an earlier version with variable results. Not even android phones with the snapdragon 8 series necessarily allow aptx adaptive. And aptx adaptive headphones aren't necessarily backwards compatible to aptx HD. 🤪

Users who are viewing this thread

Back