T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Feb 28, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #1,756 of 1,841
Ordered

I tried an earlier version with variable results. Not even android phones with the snapdragon 8 series necessarily allow aptx adaptive. And aptx adaptive headphones aren't necessarily backwards compatible to aptx HD. 🤪
Hence the BT-W5 with both codecs supported. I am now curious what this does to the Bathys that I have never heard on anything but regular APTX so far :dt880smile:

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #1,757 of 1,841
Hence the BT-W5 with both codecs supported. I am now curious what this does to the Bathys that I have never heard on anything but regular APTX so far :dt880smile:

With the Bose QC ultra earbuds (which are remakbly good. Bose is getting their crap together) I noticed a wider and deeper soundstage with Aptx Adaptive vs aptX. I don't hear any compression artifacts with cymbals, orchestral strings, or solo pianos.

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #1,758 of 1,841
Perhaps a little late but quite a useful tip nonetheless. For those with iPhone 15s and future models, there is a great possibility to use the Solitaire T with APTX HD. All it takes is a Creative BT-W5 USB-C dongle. There also are the W3, W3X and W4, but I'd recommend the W5 because it is the only dongle to combine both APTX-HD and APTX Adaptive in one single dongle, and is the only Creative dongle that supports 24bit/96khz

The Creative BT-W5 is very good, but the problem, for me at least, is that if you, like me, want always controlling the volume from the headphone and not from the device (DAP, mobile phone or computer), then, because the W5 is giving you more maximum volume in the ST, this is becoming even more problematic because the volume control of the ST isn't very good in factory form already, so now with more maximum volume with the W5, the jumps in volume (up or down) of the ST are even more drastic and, for me, more frustrating.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #1,759 of 1,841
Using ANC on ST wired is pretty solid too.

The USB C capability is marginal due to low volumes. I've had poor luck in that regard.
Thanks. Interestingly, when I use the ST with the DX260 and M9+, the volume between BT and USB C seems to be around the same. Of course, I am not sure if I am doing it right in BT mode. It is at about 60-70 on the volume pot. Does that sound right?

Feb 29, 2024 at 5:47 AM Post #1,760 of 1,841
Thanks. Interestingly, when I use the ST with the DX260 and M9+, the volume between BT and USB C seems to be around the same. Of course, I am not sure if I am doing it right in BT mode. It is at about 60-70 on the volume pot. Does that sound right?

I don't recall using ST with DX320 from USB C. I'll have to check it out. And, I just got the Hiby M300 for BT digital transport use for travel. I'll check it too. The ST were poor from my galaxy zflip5, iPad, Shanling EC Mini, and Sony NW-A306.

I was most disappointed with the EC Mini. I thought the quad DAC of the ST would be a nice change from single DAC of the Shanling.

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #1,761 of 1,841
I don't recall using ST with DX320 from USB C. I'll have to check it out. And, I just got the Hiby M300 for BT digital transport use for travel. I'll check it too. The ST were poor from my galaxy zflip5, iPad, Shanling EC Mini, and Sony NW-A306.

I was most disappointed with the EC Mini. I thought the quad DAC of the ST would be a nice change from single DAC of the Shanling.

Sorry to hear about the iPad, EC Mini and the Sony. I think it was fine from the DX260 and M9+. I was just a bit perplexed that I had to move the volume to 60-70% of maximum volume (for both BT and USB C connection) but I guess that was the complaint early on in the thread about volume capping.

Feb 29, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #1,762 of 1,841
...but I guess that was the complaint early on in the thread about volume capping.

I don't know if you installing the T+A ST app, but in the app you have a firmware update that raising the maximum volume by 3dB. T+A releasing this update a long time ago, by the way.

Feb 29, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #1,763 of 1,841
Just got the BT-W5.

This should be a mandatory purchase for iOS users. HQ on ST via iPad and Apple Classical. Fantastic.

Feb 29, 2024 at 11:13 PM Post #1,764 of 1,841
I don't know if you installing the T+A ST app, but in the app you have a firmware update that raising the maximum volume by 3dB. T+A releasing this update a long time ago, by the way.
Thanks! I updated the FW as soon as I got it. :)

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #1,765 of 1,841
Hello,

As an audio novice, I am hoping more experienced members can help me with a recommendation as to the best way to connect my T+A Solitaire T headphones to take advantage of the capable DAC on my Magnetar UDP900 blu-ray player. This blu-ray player has an "ESS9038PRO D/A decoding for 2-channel XLR balanced and RCA unbalanced outputs, ESS9028PRO D/A decoding for 7.1 RCA output. Support for XMOS USB Audio input." I have attached two images showing the various connections available on the Magnetar.

Magnetar UDP900 Player

What would be the best way to connect the T+A Solitaire headphones to get the best audio quality for watching movies and listening to audio discs? The cable to the headphones will have to be about 3-4 meters long to reach from my Magnetar to my seating position. If you recommend connecting using the "balanced" connections, how would I best connect the connect the Pentaconn connection on the T+A headphones to the three-pin XLR connections on the Magnetar? Is there a good quality 3-4 meter cable available to make this connection?

Thank you for any advice you might be able to share.

John

Attachments

• IMG_9256.png
    IMG_9256.png
    258.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9255.png
    IMG_9255.png
    341.9 KB · Views: 0
Mar 6, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #1,766 of 1,841
Hello,

As an audio novice, I am hoping more experienced members can help me with a recommendation as to the best way to connect my T+A Solitaire T headphones to take advantage of the capable DAC on my Magnetar UDP900 blu-ray player. This blu-ray player has an "ESS9038PRO D/A decoding for 2-channel XLR balanced and RCA unbalanced outputs, ESS9028PRO D/A decoding for 7.1 RCA output. Support for XMOS USB Audio input." I have attached two images showing the various connections available on the Magnetar.

Magnetar UDP900 Player

What would be the best way to connect the T+A Solitaire headphones to get the best audio quality for watching movies and listening to audio discs? The cable to the headphones will have to be about 3-4 meters long to reach from my Magnetar to my seating position. If you recommend connecting using the "balanced" connections, how would I best connect the connect the Pentaconn connection on the T+A headphones to the three-pin XLR connections on the Magnetar? Is there a good quality 3-4 meter cable available to make this connection?

Thank you for any advice you might be able to share.

John

Unfortunately you only have three options, none of which is ideal:

1: RCA output (single ended) -> additional headphone amp -> aftermarket cable -> Solitaire T
2: XLR output (balanced) -> additional headphone amp -> aftermarket cable -> Solitaire T

Explanation: both outputs on the back are line outputs and not headphone outputs. You therefore need an additional amplifier in between

3: Aftermarket 6.3mm jack to 2.5mm jack cable

Explanation: The only real headphone output is a 6.3mm on the front panel. T+A did not add such a long cable so it will need to be aftermarket.

** Careful because T+A did proprietary (non-standard) cabling, so you need to measure the cable and provide the proper pin layout to the cable maker … For the 3.5mm single ended cable and the 4.4mm balanced cable I provided the correct layout earlier in this thread.

(4: buy an extension cable 6.3mm male - female of a suitable length)

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 6:02 PM Post #1,767 of 1,841
Unfortunately you only have three options, none of which is ideal:

1: RCA output (single ended) -> additional headphone amp -> aftermarket cable -> Solitaire T
2: XLR output (balanced) -> additional headphone amp -> aftermarket cable -> Solitaire T

Explanation: both outputs on the back are line outputs and not headphone outputs. You therefore need an additional amplifier in between

3: Aftermarket 6.3mm jack to 2.5mm jack cable

Explanation: The only real headphone output is a 6.3mm on the front panel. T+A did not add such a long cable so it will need to be aftermarket.

** Careful because T+A did proprietary (non-standard) cabling, so you need to measure the cable and provide the proper pin layout to the cable maker … For the 3.5mm single ended cable and the 4.4mm balanced cable I provided the correct layout earlier in this thread.

(4: buy an extension cable 6.3mm male - female of a suitable length)
Thank you very much for your helpful response.

I am considering Options 3) and 4)

If I would go with Option 3, “Aftermarket 6.3mm jack to 2.5mm jack cable” would I have to have a custom cable made? Or a custom jack? Could you please clarify exactly what I should buy for this option?

Also, for 3) and 4) would be able to recommend quality parts to buy?

Could you

Thank you!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #1,768 of 1,841
Thank you very much for your helpful response.

I am considering Options 3) and 4)

If I would go with Option 3, “Aftermarket 6.3mm jack to 2.5mm jack cable” would I have to have a custom cable made? Or a custom jack? Could you please clarify exactly what I should buy for this option?

Also, for 3) and 4) would be able to recommend quality parts to buy?

Could you

Thank you!

You can also get a 6.3mm cable extension. Grado makes one.

https://www.moon-audio.com/grado-headphone-extension-cable.html

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 11:29 PM Post #1,769 of 1,841
Just got the BT-W5.

This should be a mandatory purchase for iOS users. HQ on ST via iPad and Apple Classical. Fantastic.
Quick Q: how do you pair the BT-W5 with the ST? The instructions seem only be for laptops . Thanks

Edit: managed to get them to pair and things are working nicely. Gold/orange light on, plugged into my iPad Pro. :) [had to switch off BT on iphone and ipad in order not to confuse things]

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #1,770 of 1,841
Thanks for the recommendation of the Creative BT-W5 @Daniel Johnston @WDitters! Excellent recommendation!

I am using with my iPad Pro right now. I can use it with my iPad Mini. Not my iPhone yet since it is iPhone 14 and hence still lightning connector.

But enjoying the SQ streaming from my iPad. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back