T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
May 28, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #1,246 of 1,865
Is it correct Forza Claire Hybrid makes a custom cable for T+A Solitaire T?
My incoming Weiss dac501 won’t have a balanced headphones output. That might be a limit?

May 28, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #1,247 of 1,865
Anyone knows upgrade cables for passive and active listening to improve the soundstage sounding fuller and wider? Thanks.
My incoming Weiss dac501 won’t have a balanced headphones output. That might be a limit?

Hit up @WDitters, as he has ordered some aftermarket cables for the cans from:

Last edited:
May 28, 2023 at 11:34 PM Post #1,248 of 1,865
Very good question. It’s interesting that the stock cable does not maximize the potential unless you use an amp with a lot of power. Try that first.

I’ve tried lavricable grand which surprisingly changed the timber not in a good way. I usually like the Lavricable.

The audioninja cable is the best for me so far. Can’t explain why but you also need less volume and power to drive with this cable than stock.
I have looked at their wares and was interested; can you give more information on which version you got and some impressions?

May 29, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #1,249 of 1,865
May 29, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #1,250 of 1,865
I must say I never tried the single-ended cable. But I do know that once you decide to go wired, there's something called impedance and sensitivity that comes into play. Of course the SolT internal amplification stage is designed to deal with the impedance and sensitivity in a certain prefixed setting. But once you decide to drive the SolT externally, you realize that like any other passively driven pair of headphones the SolT respond in a certain manner to being drive single-ended or balanced.

In my opinion the SolT are relatively easy to drive, but do not reach the level of easy driveability of for instance Denon AH-D9200 or Focal Stellia. They require just a little more power than the aforementioned... A balanced amplifier usually is a little bit better suited to provide power and current to headphones. And once you do that I think that you will find that the SolT actually do have the capability to scale a little bit with improved amplification...

When it comes to the sound character however I am not surprised that you prefer the Audiophile Ninja over the Lavricables.. In my opinion, while fantastically musical and balanced, I do think that the SolT actually have a miniscule tendency to sound bitey or shouty... That character trait rarely comes out, unless you start bringing out more revealing cables. This is the point where the fun starts because the SolT can truly provide musically bliss paired with the right equipment... I truly love the SolT on anything that provides a slightly warmer, less neutral and analytic image. The Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition is simply fantastic in that sense. I also truly enjoyed most Shanling pairings, the Hiby RS6 and RS8 with their magnificent R2R stage as wall as the Cayin N8ii wtih Korg NuTubes.. Ironically when softening the musical profile of the source, silver plated or silver cables actually do start adding clarity and holographic staging to the mix.. That's why on most neutral type amps (with ESS DACs) I preferred the copper Audiophile Ninja while on most warmer equipment I prefer the Hybrid silver plated Forza...

But hey... This only represents my personal opinion.. YMMV 😁

May 29, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #1,251 of 1,865
As a gentle reminder for everyone who wants to order an aftermarket cable, make sure you use these wiring schemes for 3.5mm single-ended and 4.4mm balanced (as T+A is using a non-standard pin layout)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221215_103159_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221215_103159_Gallery.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20221215_102757_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221215_102757_Gallery.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 0
May 29, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #1,252 of 1,865
I got the AudioNinja with a 4.4 mm termination. Currently using with Shanling H7, high gain.

With stock there is a tendency for some distortion with percussion instruments both high freq and low but predominantly in th high. So cymbals sounded a little distorted. Initially going from low gain to high gain on stock cleared some of this up. However switching to the Ninja it resolved. In the lower freq I felt like you get more impact as well.

Some of this could be the shanling as well. I don’t have many different sources to try out so I can really decipher.

For me it is enjoyable with AudioNinja so I just enjoy it. I try not to figure out the technicals. I’m not smart enough. I actually rarely use the Solitaire T as wireless anymore since getting the cable. Recently obtained the Liric so this may change things. But I am happy with the Solitaire T.

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #1,253 of 1,865
I must say I never tried the single-ended cable. But I do know that once you decide to go wired, there's something called impedance and sensitivity that comes into play. Of course the SolT internal amplification stage is designed to deal with the impedance and sensitivity in a certain prefixed setting. But once you decide to drive the SolT externally, you realize that like any other passively driven pair of headphones the SolT respond in a certain manner to being drive single-ended or balanced.

In my opinion the SolT are relatively easy to drive, but do not reach the level of easy driveability of for instance Denon AH-D9200 or Focal Stellia. They require just a little more power than the aforementioned... A balanced amplifier usually is a little bit better suited to provide power and current to headphones. And once you do that I think that you will find that the SolT actually do have the capability to scale a little bit with improved amplification...

When it comes to the sound character however I am not surprised that you prefer the Audiophile Ninja over the Lavricables.. In my opinion, while fantastically musical and balanced, I do think that the SolT actually have a miniscule tendency to sound bitey or shouty... That character trait rarely comes out, unless you start bringing out more revealing cables. This is the point where the fun starts because the SolT can truly provide musically bliss paired with the right equipment... I truly love the SolT on anything that provides a slightly warmer, less neutral and analytic image. The Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition is simply fantastic in that sense. I also truly enjoyed most Shanling pairings, the Hiby RS6 and RS8 with their magnificent R2R stage as wall as the Cayin N8ii wtih Korg NuTubes.. Ironically when softening the musical profile of the source, silver plated or silver cables actually do start adding clarity and holographic staging to the mix.. That's why on most neutral type amps (with ESS DACs) I preferred the copper Audiophile Ninja while on most warmer equipment I prefer the Hybrid silver plated Forza...

But hey... This only represents my personal opinion.. YMMV 😁
Re: Atom HE and SolT.

Do you get a buzzing sound when you have the SolT turned on plugged into balanced out of Atom HE with the Naim turned off? It goes away when I turn off SolT and use it passive or if I turn on the Naim. It’s like a ground loop sound. It’s not present when the Naim or the SolT are both on. It only happens when the Naim is off and SolT is powered up.

I often will use the SolT ANC on and Atom HE to drown out noise. The Naim is just such a stable, easy streaming platform.

May 29, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #1,254 of 1,865
Re: Atom HE and SolT.

Do you get a buzzing sound when you have the SolT turned on plugged into balanced out of Atom HE with the Naim turned off? It goes away when I turn off SolT and use it passive or if I turn on the Naim. It’s like a ground loop sound. It’s not present when the Naim or the SolT are both on. It only happens when the Naim is off and SolT is powered up.

I often will use the SolT ANC on and Atom HE to drown out noise. The Naim is just such a stable, easy streaming platform.
Need to check.. I never use the SolT with ANC on and driving them passively... So this did not really happen to me yet... 🤔

Jun 8, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #1,255 of 1,865
Greetings SolT owners!

I'm very interested in upgrading from my trusty old XM3:s to something more complete as a headphone.
Could someone possibly compare the earpads size and comfort between these? Read many people has issues with them being too small.

/Regards Evert

Jun 8, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #1,256 of 1,865
Greetings SolT owners!

I'm very interested in upgrading from my trusty old XM3:s to something more complete as a headphone.
Could someone possibly compare the earpads size and comfort between these? Read many people has issues with them being too small.

/Regards Evert
if ear cup size is important to you, probably SoIT is not the best choice. i gave my xm3 to my nephew but have xm5 with me now. i took a side-by-side shot so you can see SoIT is much smaller than xm5 (already not generously sized). SoIT is slim and lightweight (326g vs 249g of xm5). speaking of comfort, SoIT is ok and better than 5909. i have doubt on the durability of the faux leather ear cups and headband on both SoIT and xm5 though.

Attachments

• 20230608_214836.jpg
    20230608_214836.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 0
Jun 8, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #1,257 of 1,865
if ear cup size is important to you, probably SoIT is not the best choice. i gave my xm3 to my nephew but have xm5 with me now. i took a side-by-side shot so you can see SoIT is much smaller than xm5 (already not generously sized). SoIT is slim and lightweight (326g vs 249g of xm5). speaking of comfort, SoIT is ok and better than 5909. i have doubt on the durability of the faux leather ear cups and headband on both SoIT and xm5 though.
Wow, thank you for the picture. So basically they are the same in hight but the SolT pads are narrower?
Do you notice they get similarly warm after a while? I don't like my MX3 for any longer periods.

Jun 8, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #1,258 of 1,865
Greetings SolT owners!

/Regards Evert

I have both, the ST and the XM3, so here are the very approximate measurements (first ST, then XM3)

6.0cm vs 6,5cm (length)
3,7cm vs 4,0cm (width)
1,8cm vs 1,8cm (deep)

The XM3 is more comfortable, but only because the weight is very more low, but the ST is very comfortable for me. BUT my ears start becoming hot and sweating really very soon (after only 15-20 minutes) with the XM3. I can using the ST for many hours without this problem.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #1,260 of 1,865
I can using the ST for many hours without this problem.
I agree, I can wear the ST for hours at a time with no problem, they are very comfortable. I've never felt that they get too warm either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back