T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Feb 26, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #1,021 of 1,830
Thanks for the shout out, I was actually really really scratching my head why this has not been sold already

I think one reason why this is happening is because we don't having big head-fi names yet (like Jude doing a review of Focal Bathys and generating immediate big response) in this thread speaking of how good the ST is and how different the tech is. Other reason is you don't seeing dozens and dozens of YouTube and online reviews (like with Bathys and PX8). And finally, because even when some ST owners thinking the price of the ST is very fair (or even possibly little cheap for what is offering) for the tech is having, this is still a lot of money, specially in USA and other markets, for a BT ANC headphone for majority of people.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #1,022 of 1,830
I think one reason why this is happening is because we don't having big head-fi names yet (like Jude doing a review of Focal Bathys and generating immediate big response) in this thread speaking of how good the ST is and how different the tech is. Other reason is you don't seeing dozens and dozens of YouTube and online reviews (like with Bathys and PX8). And finally, because even when some ST owners thinking the price of the ST is very fair (or even possibly little cheap for what is offering) for the tech is having, this is still a lot of money, specially in USA and other markets, for a BT ANC headphone for majority of people.
Beautifully said, and reminded me how ignorant I am to assume most would find this to be "great value" which at end of day is subjective.

Thanks for that response.

Feb 26, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #1,023 of 1,830
Absolutely agree. T+A is not, from what I can tell, part of a mega corporation like Mark Levinson (Harman group). I don't think they have the resources to hand out free headphones to every influencer/reviewer across the globe. They have several reviews linked on their site. I'm honestly surprised that Jude hasn't reviewed these yet.

A buddy of mine has a small headphone sales site. He imports Calyx products and used to import The Bit products too. A greater majority of online "reputable" reviewers wanted to keep the products he would send to them for reviews. Not exactly profitable or possible unless you are a pretty large company/distributor.

Feb 27, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #1,024 of 1,830
I've been resisting testing them, which is easy as they are not available any place I know around here. Came close to buying a used pair on classified, and when I was about to pull the trigger they sold.
I know you live in USA. If you're still have interest, I think this is a very good price for the ST ($1099), a little more than 30% off for a pair with very little use when in USA the price new is $1600 USD. The seller is have, apparently, very good reputation as seller here in head-fi.
I second @angelom!

Though sadly @F208Frank is parting away with his pair of Solitaire 2 (black/silver), it was more due to his travel/commute needs rather than anything more specific with the headphones, and his many opinions and posts in this thread have been very welcome.

Of course, I do not know @F208Frank personally nor can attest to his sales history (which, on cursory viewing seems to be in good order), so please take caution as you would to any classified sales on forums.

That said, the price is very reasonable, so if you want to save a little and get some almost new Solitaire T's, then here is your opportunity @polymathic!

Feb 27, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #1,025 of 1,830
I second @angelom!

Though sadly @F208Frank is parting away with his pair of Solitaire 2 (black/silver), it was more due to his travel/commute needs rather than anything more specific with the headphones, and his many opinions and posts in this thread have been very welcome.

Of course, I do not know @F208Frank personally nor can attest to his sales history (which, on cursory viewing seems to be in good order), so please take caution as you would to any classified sales on forums.

That said, the price is very reasonable, so if you want to save a little and get some almost new Solitaire T's, then here is your opportunity @polymathic!
Yes to chime in, for me personally when traveling IEMs work better for my use case despite enjoying these headphones a lot, hence the sale. You can read my previous posts mentioning how much I enjoyed them. One of the main arguments I had with previous posts was that I felt it is a great value referencing certain posts feeling that the item is overpriced.

But of course opinions are just that, opinions. Take mine with a grain of salt. I am just a father who spends all his money on gear and not saving for my kids college.

He'll have to figure it out on his own
*shrugs*

Side Note: Aside from preferring IEMs myself for my type of travels, I just recently bought the fleetwood deville speakers and selling the TA headphone would "ease my guilt" a little bit, though in reality it does not amount to much, recouping wise.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #1,026 of 1,830
Absolutely agree. T+A is not, from what I can tell, part of a mega corporation like Mark Levinson (Harman group). I don't think they have the resources to hand out free headphones to every influencer/reviewer across the globe. They have several reviews linked on their site. I'm honestly surprised that Jude hasn't reviewed these yet.

A buddy of mine has a small headphone sales site. He imports Calyx products and used to import The Bit products too. A greater majority of online "reputable" reviewers wanted to keep the products he would send to them for reviews. Not exactly profitable or possible unless you are a pretty large company/distributor.

Is interesting that even as big as Harman Group is (Harman now belonging to Samsung!), the 5909 don't receiving much attention for very several months. Here in head-fi, is receiving more attention only after the release of Focal Bathys when several people comparing Bathys with 5909 and speaking very / more favourably of the 5909 after comparing both headphones.

About what you saying about giving free units for 'reputable' reviewers, I think T+A can easily affording giving free (or semi free, meaning a big discount) units to a very small number of really reputable AND influential reviewers (like Darko and maybe Jude), reviewers that having real influence in headphone hi-fi circles. I think this type of reputable AND influential reviewers isn't more than a total of 5. In today's web world, people are always looking online for reviews, so a review by Darko and Jude definitely generating a lot of interest and possibly sales, except if one or both of this people having a conclusion that the ST is very good / excellent but is too expensive for what the completion is offering. Is also possible that for a review by Jude is necessary that T+A becoming a head-fi sponsor, and if that case is true, maybe we never seeing a review by Jude of the ST.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #1,027 of 1,830

talking about profitability in the headfi business, it's a pretty sad fact that in the current market, the cost of development, certification, marketing and distribution of headphones (or most consumer electronic) could easily exceed or taking up a significant amount of the market price. than another fact is the sales volume of most headphones except those mainstream models (aka apple airpods) are very low (i just saw a recently made in ireland hd800s, likely one of the best selling high end headphones, with a s/n# just exceed 50k, a bit more than 6 years after launched in 2016). i just read that apple made $12.1B for selling 58M units of airpods (92.8M if including Beats and other headphones/earbuds) in 2021 alone, with an average gross margin of 35.3%. that kind of revenue exceeds the annual revenue of spotify, twitter or shopify (https://headphonesaddict.com/airpods-facts-revenue/). and that left very little room for lesser makers to compete or just to survive (according to the same article, apple is making over $60 gross profit from each airpods gen 3 sold). smaller makers very probably are not making any profit even they charge a lot higher than apple for similar quality products given the disparity in sales volume. the situation maybe getting worse as no one could compete with apple in terms of the $ they could easily afford to invest in research and development, further narrowing the performance differences (if any) between apple's offerings and those traditional headphone makers.

i read from fiio's own weibo account that they didn't and they believe most of the audio makers including some very big names like Senn, ATH, etc. could not make any profit from their TWS products. that sounds pretty convincing to me that when Senn had to sell it's own consumer audio business last year. i'm not from accounting or business background but if anyone interest in the financial situation of a relatively small headphone maker may wanna check Dan Clark Audio's 2021 annual report (https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1808286/000166516022000858/form_car.pdf). in 2021, it made ~$3M in sales and net operating income of ~$0.2M. it went to the distance to seek equity crowd funding in 2021 to get just $230k investment.

so what does all this mean? my own interpretation is headphone maker is hardly a good business unless you're apple. to thrive in such almost insurmountable difficult market, one has to look for an arena that maker like apple don't wanna participate. sadly wireless headphone or TWS may not be one of such niche market. aiming for higher end market akin to high end fashion brands/watch brands might be one direction many are considering.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #1,028 of 1,830
talking about profitability in the headfi business, it's a pretty sad fact that in the current market, the cost of development, certification, marketing and distribution of headphones (or most consumer electronic) could easily exceed or taking up a significant amount of the market price. than another fact is the sales volume of most headphones except those mainstream models (aka apple airpods) are very low (i just saw a recently made in ireland hd800s, likely one of the best selling high end headphones, with a s/n# just exceed 50k, a bit more than 6 years after launched in 2016). i just read that apple made $12.1B for selling 58M units of airpods (92.8M if including Beats and other headphones/earbuds) in 2021 alone, with an average gross margin of 35.3%. that kind of revenue exceeds the annual revenue of spotify, twitter or shopify (https://headphonesaddict.com/airpods-facts-revenue/). and that left very little room for lesser makers to compete or just to survive (according to the same article, apple is making over $60 gross profit from each airpods gen 3 sold). smaller makers very probably are not making any profit even they charge a lot higher than apple for similar quality products given the disparity in sales volume. the situation maybe getting worse as no one could compete with apple in terms of the $ they could easily afford to invest in research and development, further narrowing the performance differences (if any) between apple's offerings and those traditional headphone makers.

i read from fiio's own weibo account that they didn't and they believe most of the audio makers including some very big names like Senn, ATH, etc. could not make any profit from their TWS products. that sounds pretty convincing to me that when Senn had to sell it's own consumer audio business last year. i'm not from accounting or business background but if anyone interest in the financial situation of a relatively small headphone maker may wanna check Dan Clark Audio's 2021 annual report (https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1808286/000166516022000858/form_car.pdf). in 2021, it made ~$3M in sales and net operating income of ~$0.2M. it went to the distance to seek equity crowd funding in 2021 to get just $230k investment.

so what does all this mean? my own interpretation is headphone maker is hardly a good business unless you're apple. to thrive in such almost insurmountable difficult market, one has to look for an arena that maker like apple don't wanna participate. sadly wireless headphone or TWS may not be one of such niche market. aiming for higher end market akin to high end fashion brands/watch brands might be one direction many are considering.
For T+A, they tout that 98% of their products sold are repairable and serviceable. Supposedly every part of the Solitaire T is serviceable. Unlike Mark Levinson who stated the 5909 is essentially disposable as a BT headphone or strictly passive once battery dies.

Dealer margin also is a factor. Dealers need 25-30% margin to keep doors open unless they have a large volumes of sales.

Mar 1, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #1,029 of 1,830
Thanks to all the previous posts, I've dropped the idea getting into "big business" and starting another headphone company. :beerchug:

But back to the ST, has somebody looked at the pads to see if there's a Dekoni set that could fit? Not that I dislike the pads, but wouldn't mind trying different pads.

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #1,030 of 1,830
New YouTube review of the ST:

Even if isn't ideal showing sound samples of a headphone in a YouTube video because is only approximation, is strange here that the reviewer isn't showing too the sound in the excellent bluetooth HQ mode at end of the video and is only showing the sound with ANC on and wired modes.

EDIT: The is the same review in writing: https://www.tech360.tv/t-a-solitaire-t-review

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #1,031 of 1,830
New review of the ST in Czech: https://www.hifi-voice.com/testy-a-recenze/sluchatka/4257-t-a-solitaire-t

Here is the English translation:

T+A Solitaire T

Author: Daniel Březina Category: Headphones March 3, 2023

The German company T+A started their career as loudspeaker manufacturers 45 years ago, then added electronics and relatively recently even ventured into the world of headphones - it must be said that with the Solitaire P model they made quite a solid dent in the world and are considered by many to be the best magnetostatic headphones on market. Perhaps a slight surprise then was the launch of the Solitaire T, headphones that are supposed to be affordable and yet universal in the sense that you can just as easily use them outdoors on the go, at work for communication purposes and at home for focused listening.

This is actually not a completely typical orientation of the T+A company, which focuses more on the most advanced technological solutions in the spirit of Theory and Application, as well as the fact that it fits itself into a company of scientists who have decided to "make sound".

The external appearance of the Solitaire T does not try to be extravagant, on the contrary, it is simply, cleanly and thoroughly ordinary headphones. The main supporting structure is the head bridge, which is robust and well-crafted, with just the right amount of padded leather in the points of contact with the head. The oval closed shells are relatively large, in the massive leatherette earrings with soft foam inside, there is at least enough comfortable space even for larger ears.

As these are portable headphones, there are of course controls on the earcups, relatively tiny but still acceptably controllable. There's also an analog jack for an analog input signal and a USB for a digital connection if you don't want to use the built-in Bluetooth connection. This is what makes the Solitaire T an ideal universal solution – you use Bluetooth and your phone on the go, an analogue jack at work and a USB interface at home.

All metal elements are turned from solid aluminum parts in accordance with the T+A approach and undergo a sandblasting process before anodizing to achieve a fine structure, therefore they appear very solid and trustworthy, as well as modern and valuable. The joints behind the earcups, which are used to fold the headphones into the transport position, also make a good impression. You can also see holes on each side, revealing the position of the microphones for recording calls (two on the right earcup) and for the ANC system (a pair on each ear).

The really interesting thing then lies under the surface of the beveled shells, where the strong development background of the T+A brand comes into play. At the center of all the action are custom-developed converters. The dynamic speaker with a 42 mm cellulose membrane (the transducers are carefully selected for a specific pair) has a sophisticated design including, for example, damping, suppressing unwanted distortion coming from the voice coil. The converter is said to have been optimized to work ideally both with active power supply via DSP and amplifier, as well as in purely passive mode.

The wireless Bluetooth 5.1 interface with aptX HD and AAC support is built on a Qualcomm QCC 5127 chip with ultra-low power consumption, followed by a D/A converter section with an ES9218 chip. There, the data travels directly, if the headphones are in wireless mode or connected to a computer via USB, through the classic analog connectors (Pentaconn, 3.5 mm and 6.3 mm jack at the end of the cable from classic oxygen-free copper) it passes through the Active Analog system, where volume control or active noise cancellation remains available.

The headphones with all their options offer a frequency range of 4-22,000 Hz with a total harmonic distortion below 0.05% (1 kHz / 94 dB). For a similar type of device, the overall battery life is also crucial. The Li-Ion cell here has a capacity of 1,200 mAh and will last 70 hours in normal operation and 35 in maximum sound quality mode.

We listened to Solitaire T for a week or so during normal trips, while working and concentrated in connection with the PC. For comparison, we had Focal Clear in combination with Apogee Groove or Bowers & Wilkins PI7 . The first good news is that the headphones are comfortable to wear even on a larger head, the second is that their noise cancellation works well and practically cuts you off completely thanks to a combination of physical sealing and active "anti-noise" from the environment.

Sanborn's "Medley" from the album " Another Hand " (1991 | Elektra | 7559-61088-2 ) features really carefully stripped bass lines, whether Charlie Haden's bass or BJ Baron's kick and Solitaire T give them, dare we say, the best articulation, as we've ever heard in the wireless world. They do not emphasize the fullness and weight of the bass so much, they play according to the company's sound standard with a moderate, precise, solid, but not dry bass, in which the colors and shades of the tones stand out well. It's simply fidelity without the effects. However, where there is an intense "thump" contained in the recording, the headphones also transmit it juicyly, there is no need to worry about that - the bass is rendered wonderfully realistically - very well even in ordinary wireless, and excellently in high quality mode.

Susan Graham's singing, carrying Berlioz's "Méditation" from the cantata "La Mort de Cléopâtre" (performed by the Berliner Philharmoniker | conducted by Sir Simon Rattle | 2008 | EMI | 50999 2 16224 0 3 ) was carried cleanly, naturally, at the same time in fact generally restrained, simple effects and technicality. It's safe to say that this is true hi-fi for the road, faithful, clear, but smooth and disciplined. The entire midrange sounds open, navigating even a more complex recording is not a problem, and you can feel a clear overview, comparable to higher class desktop headphone systems. It's hard to believe that T+A managed to cram all this into inconspicuous little headphones. And again, obviously, in high quality mode you get a bit more specific, clearer and detailed speech.

You don't even have to worry about the headphones slipping into even a hint of tinnyness when playing cymbals. By contrast, the twang in the Bee Gees' "Spirits (Having Flown)" (" Spirits Having Flown " | 1994 | recorded 1979 | Polygram | 827 335-2 ) sounded clean, with the necessary dose of direct, core energy, but without aggression or fatigue . The highs do not assert themselves "by force", but float to the surface with ease, peeking at the headphone high-end. In terms of volume, they are just right, the Solitaire T do not resort to the popular emphasis of the ends of the band.

If the Solitaire T have any limit, it is found mainly in the pure wireless mode, where you can feel something like a limit of volume or emphasis on compositions such as Beethoven's "Symphony No. 3 in E flat major, op. 55" (probably better known as "Eroica"), where the strength of the Cleveland Orchestra under the baton of George Szell ("Symphonies No. 3 & No. 8" | 1991 | recorded 1957 | SONY | SBK 46 328 ) is evident, but the music somehow does not stir exactly the way you would ideally like. Even here, however, control is elegant, variety seamless and dynamic contrasts readily apparent. And, of course, it is always enough to wake up the headphones, for example, in analog mode, where this limit is not noticeable.

For the concept (and indeed the price), it's hard to imagine a reproduction offering more information without overemphasizing it. Von Weber's "Concerto for Clarinet Or. 1 in F minor, Op. 73" with Sharon Kam as principal soloist (" Clarinet Concertos " | 1996 | Telarc | 2564 69718-6 ) was excellently readable, no matter what passage, with any layered instruments - you still have all the lines in mind. In addition, Solitaire T consistently respect the record, for better or for worse. This is an advantage, because it is really good, but we have also tried quite ordinary, old or simply musically interesting, but sonically lousy, and the headphones will serve them to you as they are. This is due to their excellent discipline, which rightfully ranks them in the world of premium hi-fi and at the very top of the wireless world.

The closed concept to a certain extent defines the possibilities of the width of the recording space, and so the Solitaire T offers a rather more compact scene in Sofia Gubaidulina's octet "Hommage á TS Eliot" (" Offertorium " | 1989 | Deutsche Grammophon | 00289 479 1518 ). However, the sense of right-left orientation in the recording is excellent, the headphones play really precisely and cleanly, so the result is a non-technical, organic and yet very informative presentation with clearly grounded and separated instruments.

Metheny's "James" (" Offramp " | 1984 | recorded 1982 | ECM | 817 138-2 ) of course sounded very pleasant and cultured, everything has its place and the sound is clearly conceived for those who want an unhurried, unartificial but on the contrary, a maximally realistic reproduction. The energy of all the instruments is directed and controlled, but there is no sense of forcedness or pronounced effort, so the music flows with a natural ease and is a joy to listen to.

The T+A brand has a powerful technological background and you can tell by the quality of their products. Although the Solitaire T are manufactured in China because of the price, the company's standard does not change with them either - they have a premium level of materials and their processing, and above all they remain faithful to the "tee" level of reproduction, where we dare to say that in the wireless world you can hardly get more faithful, accurate, more realistic sound than right here. Add to that solid wearing comfort, thanks to which your ears or head won't hurt even after an hour of wearing it, mix together a practical application and, last but not least, the possibility of operation in multiple modes, where you can find your way both minimalistic with the phone, qualitatively higher with by direct connection to a computer or perhaps in a classic desktop system with a dedicated headphone amplifier. In all its guises, the Solitaire T offers exemplary quality and organic authenticity, insight and control. The T+A Solitaire T are the benchmark of wireless headphones and excellent "wired" headphones, which together mean an excellent price-performance ratio for anyone who wants their music at a high level, always and everywhere.

Mar 4, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #1,032 of 1,830
Mar 4, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #1,033 of 1,830
Looks like the reviewer has been reading @angelom early posts on the ST: "But they’re detailed, accurate and they present the music in a neutral, almost “boring” manner, which allows you to hear the music as the artist intended and it does a very good job at it."
Good hearing!

I thought that sounded familiar, and yes it was one of the core early impressions @angelom posted (and was amongst some of the earliest pieces of information that helped influence my decision to purchase the Solitaire T)!
At least this thread still has impact on potential reviews (and new owners).

Wanted an exceedingly natural sound, and @angelom was right on the money (cheers dude) 🤟🏽🎧😊

Mar 4, 2023 at 6:57 PM Post #1,034 of 1,830
That was one loooong review, haha.

Mar 5, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #1,035 of 1,830
Audiophile Ninja balanced cable just arrived.. I only listened to it for a few minutes.. But first comments:

- My wiring scheme as measured (see below) is correct!
- Cable build quality is fantastic (see below)
- Cable strikes a great balance between robustness and portability
- Sound quality frankly is a big improvement already on the stock cable. Especially the soundstage gets a great improvement.
- Greatly reduced microphonics compared to the stock cable.

Big recommendation from my end for this Audiophile Ninja cable. Excellent work by @NinjaJeremy for a great cable.

Happy as a sandboy with this cable!! Now on to a proper burn-in for this one :)
WIll buy this on your recommendation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back