T+A Solitaire T Wireless Headphone
Jan 30, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #931 of 1,830
thank you! it's not really intuitive to understand these icons:stuck_out_tongue:

haha, your positive feedback is one of the main reasons i bought my ST. i myself much prefer good quality leather over any other alternatives . but alcantara used in sports car and ath-wb2022 is also perfectly acceptable to me. the synthetic leather attracts hair oil on it and leave very disgusting marks (like sony xm5 . . .) more important is my experience with toys and watch boxes that syntenic leather all will shatter into pieces in just a few years . . .

in the short listening session till now, i found ST has better details but less bass (aka less fun :ksc75smile:). for my listening habit (e.g. pops and ACG mostly), i think 5909 is much more fun for my music selection and also at a much more competitive price (now e-earphone offering at just 120k yen tax incl.!). i shared your view that it's a tough fight for ST amongst the very capable and cheaper competitors which already established their ground.

i bought several pairs of hifiman headphones too and more fiio & topping headfi gears, which all are made in china. but i just not really like the idea that a german brand with almost all products made in germany chose to build their high end wireless headphone in china while commanding substantially higher price than almost all competitors (except WB2022). if T+A opts to assembly the ST in germany like most other T+A products, I'm perfectly happy to pay a bit premium to keep them producing in their own town. but sadly T+A chose to outsource to china but charges a (big) premium. not that ST is poorly built, in fact, chinese OEMs produced some of the best headphones (likely some assembly and process could only be economically done in china too). just high end stuff like T+A should be committed to its origin. i almost stop buying veilance clothing after they ceased to stick with their commitment that all the line will be made in their own canadian factory a few years ago . . . sentiment is a very big factor in product of this segment for me.
i was actually very glad they made competitive pricing with this, i did not want to spend 3k on a consumer disposable

Jan 30, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #932 of 1,830
i was actually very glad they made competitive pricing with this, i did not want to spend 3k on a consumer disposable
:ksc75smile: i concur with your point. if there's only subtle/small price increment for made in germany, I can swallow that. but 3k is definitely way above my range. 1.6k is already very difficult for any vender to sell a pair of bluetooth headphones, let alone beyond that (i still saw WB2022 available for pre-order online!). T+A already delivered a very good product, hope they can raise the bar again in their next attempt.

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #933 of 1,830
It’s not a flaw to have a bit of sparkle in the treble. Real life instruments and live performances have some sparkle in the treble region. I personally find the treble overall accurate, but I have tinnitus and probably some treble hearing loss. The ST does not forgive bright recordings—even to my ears. Others who have listened to my ST (with better hearing) remark on the treble presence. His exact words were the treble on the track pierced right into his ear. It was not a negative comment.

Paired with a brighter source as the OP mentioned, that sparkle can be a bit much. The ST will not smooth out a bright source. Hence the sizzle comment.

Take for example a cymbal. In real life a cymbal crash can be quite piercing. A cymbal can also be less piercing and softer (I.e. jazz brush cymbals). The ST reproduces both accurately. Those sensitive to treble may find that a bit much depending on the recording. Take the Empyrean for a counter example where all treble is smoothed over and pleasant. No sizzle or sparkle. Even the harshest of 80s rock is tolerable, even good.

Accurate tonality is good. A well recorded song will sound amazing. I however just don’t listen to well recorded audiophile music. I listen to everything from ambient to zydeco. The ST do not hold punches when it comes to poorly mastered music.

Thank you for the clarification.

I will admitting that after coming from the 5909, I'm initially finding the ST is lacking a little treble presence (!), but when I try BT HQ mode --in my quick first listen I only trying normal BT mode and forgetting is also HQ mode-- I begin listening again, and again, and quickly realising the ST is have clear better tonal balance than 5909, specially in the mids and high frequencies. Basically more correct, realistic and accurate.

I mentioning some weeks ago the reproduction of cymbals and later, specially, snare drums that for me are so difficult reproducing correctly and how the ST is impressing me so much. I insist that for me the correct reproduction of high frequencies is the more big challenge of (good) headphones. My HD800 is excellent, but its treble peak is problematic (and bass sometimes needing lifting a little) specially when I'm listening more loud or not classical orchestral music (and this is often). The 5909 is similar (but not really the same) in this respect. Even the excellent HD600 isn't so correct like the ST. I never hearing the Empyrean, but from your description is probably a very nice headphone but not one that I probably liking so much. Smoothing treble is common in many headphones, but the opposite is true, too, in many headphones and earphones!

For me the ST isn't only wonderful with good masters, but is doing, generally, excellent job with some not very good / poor masters. For me the ST is the more close to a clean window that I hearing, that is showing you what is outside, with really very, very little colouration. A remarkable headphone.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #934 of 1,830
Hey all,

I have a small problem with my ST‘s. At the right side there are two scratch marks on the aluminum frame. Those marks come definitely when I rotate the right earpiece at some point, because the upper frame ist touching the frame below at one point. There is kinda more moving space between the upper frame and the one which holds the right earpiece.
On the left side everything ist perfect. Sometimes I can feel at one point when the frames are touching when I am rotating the earpiece, but nothing on the left side.

Would you write a complain or suggest for a solution?
The left side has no scratches and I am definitely not using the headphones wrong or something.
Just asking myself if I am too picky, but on the other side it is a 1300 ,-€ product.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Only now that you mentioning this I see that the same thing is happening with my pair (see the photo below), and only, like in your pair, is in the right side. And, like you, I'm very, very careful with my headphones.

This is a personal decision, I think. I, personally, will not contacting T+A right now about this, but you're correct that this mustn't happening. I will seeing if this marks becoming more big in the next months and decide if is necessary contacting T+A or not.

Well every first of its kind product has its flaws, like the bending IPhone and so on, despite of their high prices.
It is nothing that you see at the first glance and definitely nothing that ruins your experience. So I will see how it turns out after one year use.

Quick hack to prevent this from happening (for those whose T+A Solitaire T is still without any blemishes). The cable box attaches to the inside of the case well enough to stay put, and prevents the cups from touching each other...

Attachments

• 16753439643267229637676743857910.jpg
    16753439643267229637676743857910.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #935 of 1,830
A confession: I love the (little unusual) type of red colour that T+A using in the inside pad in the earcups.

Attachments

• IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 3:58 AM Post #936 of 1,830
Additonal advantage of this little hack ... The Audiophile Ninja cable is less obtrusive and easier to store 😂

Attachments

• 20230203_095615.jpg
    20230203_095615.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Feb 3, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #937 of 1,830
Additonal advantage of this little hack ... The Audiophile Ninja cable is less obtrusive and easier to store 😂

how are the microphonics on those? I have found braided fabric cables too be very noisy.

Feb 3, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #938 of 1,830
how are the microphonics on those? I have found braided fabric cables too be very noisy.
Minimal. I find the stock cord has more microphonics when the cable hits my table. It looks heavy, but it isn't.

I bought a 3-foot version that will coil up nicely on the upper half of the included compartment. I have the USB C, SE cable, 1/4 adapter, and airline adapter in the other half.

Feb 4, 2023 at 5:13 AM Post #939 of 1,830
New review of the ST in German: https://www.mactechnews.de/news/art...Bluetooth-ANC-Kopfhoerer-der-Welt-181905.html

Here is the translation to English:

Review: T+A Solitaire T sets standards - Best Bluetooth ANC headphones in the world?

When a manufacturer, who is usually famous for very high-priced and luxurious audio components, launches Bluetooth headphones, it often has a "taste". After all, the market is now full of in-, on- and over-ear headphones for wireless, mobile music enjoyment. Only someone wants to have a piece of the delicious and big cake, you think. Okay, it's obvious that it's about quantities and sales and is not to blame anyone for. But especially providers who have a good reputation in absolute high-end can also sit down in the nettles with a "mass product" that is too half-heartedly implemented.

This was known at T+A and said to ourselves accordingly: If we develop a Bluetooth headset, it is firstly not to enter into a price war with countless other providers, and secondly only if we can create something really special.

So the necessary brainstorm had to be created first, because Bluetooth headphones are practically without exception dependent on technology that you as a small series manufacturer cannot develop yourself and only get from a few large chip providers. This is also the reason why all Bluetooth headphones available today have more or less the same or at least very similar functions. The built-in chips dictate what works and what doesn't. Apple is a certain exception, but even with the AirPods Max, the iPhone manufacturer only differs functionally from others in a few respects.

The brainstorm came and is now joining the other offers on the market in the form of the closed over-ear headphones Solitaire T. At first glance, this is only an ordinary BT over-ear. And also functionally, the Solitaire T with Bluetooth 5.1 Class 2, noise cancelling, app control and touch controls on the housing now offers no revolutionary features.

T+A wants to set itself apart from the crowd with the Solitaire T in three points: 1.) A truly luxurious and unique build quality, 2.) better sound than all other BT headphones, 3.) the headphones should also be a passive (home) headphones of the absolute top class for use on DAC/headphone amplifiers.

The T+A Solitaire T briefly presented

I have to admit that I was also very skeptical at first. Why should T+A be able to build a BT over-ear with the inevitable technical conditions, which can undermine the limitations of this technology? And in general: a Bluetooth headset from T+A? Does that fit together? Last but not least, the price: The challengers call for a whopping 1,300 euros for the Solitaire T. - If you don't go in your pants.

It is not.

The T+A makers are usually not reluctant when it comes to technically explaining their products on the website. The Solitaire T is also described in quite detail there. But I only learned the exact technical background in conversation with T+A managing director and graduate physicist Siegfried Amft.

First of all, let me briefly summarize the basic data, which everyone can also read for themselves at T+A. The Solitaire T offers, as is common for mobile-friendly over-ears, closed housings that dampen external noise and do not allow the sound from the headphones to penetrate outwards. For sound conversion, a dynamic driver with a newly developed cellulose membrane measuring 42 mm is used. This has a special damping edge for suppressing the (unresponsible) coil resonance. The diaphragm should easily cope with 120 dB sound pressure with the least distortion.

Even the workmanship of the Solitaire T makes it clear that these are not an ordinary "off-the-shelf" BT headphones. Although plastic is also used for the acoustic chambers, the rest of the receiver is made of solid, finely milled aluminum, memory pads and anti-allergenic artificial leather, which is not inferior to high-quality genuine leather in its feel and appearance. Genuine leather was deliberately dispensed with here.

Thanks to the noble aluminum parts with the massive fork suspension and the silent and gently rotating carbide joints, as well as not least the simply black or white housings and ear cushions, the look is not only independent, but also fits the brand face of T+A. In all of this, the "T" is compact and literally very portable with a weighed 326 g (exactly as stated by the manufacturer).

Functionally, the Solitaire T has ticked all the important boxes. In addition to Bluetooth 5.1 for a stable wireless connection with long range plus telephony functions via several built-in microphones with background noise cancellation, noise cancelling is also on board. This can be set in several stages via the associated Solitaire app.

In addition, the T+A offers a real passive function. This means that even with headphones switched off (or completely discharged battery), music can be played back via cable from a corresponding player with analog headphone connection. This includes a normal jack cable (with 3.5 mm plug plus 6.35 mm adapter), as well as a balanced cable with 4.4 mm Pentaconn plug. This is a real special feature for Bluetooth headphones.

The integrated 1,200 mAh battery lasts up to a record-breaking 70 hours, depending on various factors. See below. Either way, the Solitaire T has excellent battery life. By the way, charging is via a supplied USB-C cable, which can also be used for digital audio connection, for example with a Mac or iPad. And in terms of sustainability, there should be an opportunity for the Solitaire T to have the battery replaced at a fair price in the factory in the future if it has reached the end of its life.

T+A Solitaire T - Unlike the others

The T+A engineers have given a lot of thought to how best combine the advantages of top wired headphones with mobile Bluetooth comfort. And about how to get the certain "more" out of the available Bluetooth modules on the market.

It is important to know that for cost reasons, the vast majority of BT ironing headphones on the market are not manually acoustically tuned, but simply "corrively bent" by means of DSP correction according to taste or even the calculations of the developers. Computational audio, so to speak. Without such digital frequency response corrections, most BT listeners would hardly deserve the title of hi-fi. There are quite a few exceptions that offer a passive mode and thus sound quite decent. But then usually significantly different than in active mode.

T+A approached the situation differently with the Solitaire T and has acoustically tuned it from scratch as passive headphones with great effort, whereby they also oriented themselves to their wired, magnetostatic top model Solitaire P. For this purpose, the housing was equipped as a pressure chamber system with precisely defined sound guides and acoustic filters to linearize the frequency response and enable a powerful bass.

First step: Without activated electronics, the "T" wants to be able to keep up with purely passive headphones in its price range. And only when the developers were satisfied with the wired sound was it about activating the headphones and adding Bluetooth and a USB-C mode. In this way, there is no longer any need to help sound via DSP in active mode.

Second step: Normally, when developing a BT headset, you choose one of the BT chips available on the market, depending on the desired price, and this is usually one from Qualcomm. The Solitaire T also has such a chip, namely the Qualcomm QCC 5127 with Bluetooth 5.1 and support for aptX (HD) and AAC. At this point, others would probably have already completed the development, because this chip basically has everything on the silicon that is needed for BT headphones. Including a simple ANC function, DAC and output stage. Just connect the drivers, do DSP tuning and the arbor is ready.

Not so with T+A. Although the QCC 5127 offers pretty much the best Bluetooth features currently available, it does not have the best ANC and certainly not the best DAC with analog output stage. Its on-chip amplification is not exactly what you want to tie to the leg or drivers for a highly dynamic and world-class headphones.

The circuit in the Solitaire T is uniquely complex for a BT headphone, because three different signal processor chips are used, where one would also be enough for the function.

When it comes to active noise cancellation, Sony's chips are currently said to be the highest effectiveness. And when it comes to the D/A converter, ESS Technology with its Sabre DACs is at the top of the want-to list. This means that as a developer, you can hardly avoid significant compromises.

What did T+A do now? In addition to Qualcomm's best Bluetooth chip, they simply transplanted a Sony chip for ANC and an ESS DAC for signal conversion into the Solitaire T. Depending on the mood or current situation, the user has the choice of switching to the chip with the best features. The following circuit diagrams show the switchable signal paths for the respective mode:

In passive mode, the complete electronics are bypassed.

With the ANC active, the Qualcomm chip (QCC) delivers the signal to the Sony chip, which in this case also takes over the conversion and Class AB reinforcement.

In HQ mode, the digital input signal is forwarded from the QCC directly to the ESS chip, which takes care of the D/A conversion and takes over the amplification in Class A

The signaling paths of the Solitaire T

The choice is yours: In passive mode of the Solitaire T, the internal electronics are completely switched off and the playback is purely analog via a cable from an external DAC/headphone amplifier. Optionally balanced or unbalanced. Connection to smartphones or other iDevices with analog headphone output is of course possible but not the most recommended way. Both from a qualitative point of view and because of the mostly integrated level limitation of such devices.

Active mode with ANC switched on: This is virtually the standard mode for on the go when good noise cancellation is important. The Qualcomm chip of the digital input signals takes care of either via Bluetooth (if Bluetooth switch is on ON) or via a USB-C cable that is also included. Analog music signals are also processed in active mode via the balanced line-in input and converted by the Qualcomm chip in high resolution A/D. In addition, the Qualcomm chip controls the phone mode with the main microphone and one of the ANC microphones as an array to create optimal voice quality.

But now it comes: In this case, the Sony chip takes over the noise cancellation of music, which also takes care of the D/A conversion and the amplification with Class AB technology. The HQ chip (the Sabre) is switched off in ANC mode to save energy.

In HQ mode, on the other hand, the Sony chip is bypassed. The digital signals received by the Qualcomm gatekeeper are transmitted directly to the Sabre chip without volume control. This has a particularly high-quality and low-noise D/A converter. Subsequently, the signals are passed with analog volume control to the Class A power amplifiers of the Sabre, which are directly connected to the sound transducers. Because Class A gain consumes more power, battery life in this mode decreases from an outstanding 70 hours to still excellent 35 hours. Far more than any TrueWireless in-ear can do without recharging in the case or on the cable.

T+A Solitaire T - Functions and practical test

It all sounds great on paper. But how does the "T" behave in practice? The first contact after unpacking makes me very tingling. The headphones are neatly finished and feel really valuable. I already had (pure passive) high-end headphones at a higher price, which - to put it a little exaggeratedly - felt like home work against the T+A. Unfortunately, pictures do not do justice to the haptic experience.

The supplied, quite conventionally designed hard case offers nice little details in terms of workmanship that fit into the convincing overall picture. For example, the gently running and protected zipper of the case, as well as the compartment with magnetic lid inserted inside for the cables and adapters needed when traveling. A particularly pleasing point that you can hardly find anywhere else: The headphones also fit into the case with a headband adjusted to my size. So the bracket does not have to be pushed completely together every time. Seems to be a trivial detail, but it is not.

And it gets even better. If you have the bow out, transport the headphones from your head to the case in a single flowing movement. How many times have I been annoyed with other headphones about the required pack tetris to store the receiver in the case.

Simple, but well thought out: The case of the Solitaire T.

I had already raved about the great workmanship above. The design of the Solitaire T is of course a matter of taste, but I think it's fantastically good. Thanks to the milled aluminum parts with the massive fork suspension and the noiseless and gently rotating carbide joints, as well as not least the simply black or white housings and ear cushions, everything fits here.

Some air: The headband does not have to be pushed together completely every time to store the receiver in the case.

The ear cushions completely enclose the ear cups (hence over-ear). The geometry of the "T" is extremely balanced. The seat is firm, but never oppressive and literally snaps into place without sitting insecurely. Hours of listening pleasure are no problem.

As a closed-fitted headphone, it already offers quite high external noise insulation purely passively. What is interesting is that I still don't feel as isolated under these headphones as with many other mobile headphones. At some point I realized that under the T+A I hear less dull-grumble noises that are caused by the construction itself and from my own body or Movement noises. Of course, the environment is also perceived duller under the Solitaire T, but this bothers me much less.

Functions and ease of use:

In short, that's how it has to be! The "T" on the left housing is switched on and off by means of a grippy slide switch. Several small LEDs below inform about the state of charge and operation when switched on. The rest of the operation takes place on the right housing via two small, easily tactile buttons and another slide switch. Another LED reveals the currently active connection protocol (SBC, AAC, a Not many headphones offer this information, and if they do, then at most via a companion app.

The "DA" button calls the voice assistant to the office. Siri, Google and Alexa are supported. The other button switches the reconnect mode: ANC, ANC off and HQ. A male voice, spoken especially for T+A, informs in accent-free High German what is currently active. With the T+A Solitaire app (iOS and Android), a few gradations for ANC mode can also be set. In addition, the app offers various predefined EQ curves. - In my opinion, the "Flat" setting offers the most natural tuning. I almost only heard without a DSP sound bend. Even in noisy environments.

The Bluetooth switch is somewhat unusual. On the one hand, it is used for pairing. As far as normal. For this, it must be pushed upwards for two seconds. If you release it, it springs back and the headphones appear in the Bluetooth settings, for example on the iPhone for connection. But you can also deactivate Bluetooth completely with this switch. The only question is what for? The operating instructions are silent about this.

Upon request, Siegfried Amft gave me two reasons. First: If you want, you can turn off BT in DAC mode with the USB cable connected, which potentially means fewer sound disturbing influences. However, if you leave BT switched on, the BT connection to the smartphone can be maintained despite USB playback in order to be able to receive phone calls. Secondly, if BT is switched off, the Solitaire T can be set up for pure noise cancellation.

There are several ways to control music. For example, via the music app used on the playback device. If you do not want to reach for your smartphone, you can change the volume (swipe up/down), skip tracks (swipe back/forward) or switch play/pause (tap) via the touch field on the right receiver. In addition, the transparency mode can be switched on or off via the slightly contrasting round field.

The outer surface on the right earpiece is a touch panel. The round touch elemet is used to switch the transparency mode (noise transmission).

One of the most convenient ways to control music is for owners of the Apple Watch. Paired with the iPhone and when playing music from a compatible app such as Qobuz, the volume can be controlled by turning the Digital Crown and the title control can be done via the display of the watch.

T+A Solitaire T - Hearing test and conclusion

First of all, the Solitaire T should prove whether the promises of the developers regarding its passive coordination can be kept. So by cable and when switched off on a high-quality headphone amplifier. With the balanced cable at the Pentaconn output of the Questyle CMA Fifteen DAC/Coopbud amplifier, it quickly became clear that T+A did not exaggerate.

The "T" had to prove itself against two purely passive, wired top-class headphones: the Focal Clear MG around 1,500 euros; test report) and the Fostex TH-909 (approx. 2,500 euros). Both dynamic sound transducers with an open construction and thus rather dipole character, which tends to have an advantage when it comes to airiness and width of the image. However, the closed Solitaire T (pressure converter) does not have to hide behind them, especially since it offers a much wider range of applications thanks to Bluetooth. It convinces in passive mode with an extremely balanced and at the same time wonderfully freed playback for a closed-back listener, even if it does not quite reach the precision and resolution of the Fostex. However, he easily offers the focal a stand-on.

In the hearing test, the T+A was heard for better classification not only against the models mentioned in the text, but also against even much more high-end models. Namely Yamaha YH-5000SE and Focal Utopia.

It is very positive how balanced and discoloration-free the T+A makers succeeded in coordinating the Solitaire T. The Fostex is a little brighter towards it, the Focal is warmer. T+A meets the golden mean here. The challenger plays tremendously powerful, hearty and colorful. In the bass, he benefits from his closed and low-resonance construction, which helps him to make a lot of punch without appearing somehow thickened. Contrary to less good closed constructions (and most in-ears), the sound of the "T" never seems intrusive and too direct.

Paired with the iPhone via Bluetooth and played music via Qobuz, the first pleasant realization is that the sound character of the "T" hardly changes at all in active operation. Manual acoustic tuning pays off here. The T+A always plays actively and passively with the same balanced character. I have never experienced this as successful as here with any other BT listener.

In addition, the background noise in active operation is minimal. In ANC off and HQ Mode mode, it is almost inaudible. With active ANC, a slight noise carpet cannot be completely avoided so far, but here, too, the T+A behaves in an exemplary manner.

If active noise cancellation is activated, the level of loud ambient noise decreases very significantly. But even with this, the basic character remains unchanged and there are also no annoying artifacts that sometimes go hand in hand with strong ANC. Only with the highest ANC setting and when no music is playing, I feel a kind of slight pressure on my ears. As with pressure changes in an aircraft, only not so strong and not continuously increasing. The ANC therefore does not have a completely neutral effect on hearing. A circumstance that applies to all ANC circuits so far. But usually even more noticeable than with the T+A. But you don't notice this when music is running.

If necessary, the ANC effect can be mitigated in two stages via the Companion app. Personally, by the way, the purely passive noise insulation of the "T" is usually sufficient for me. But on a longer flight or on the train, I would also turn on the ANC.

The HQ mode remains, which lives up to its name in Solitaire T. The Sabre DAC and the Class-A output stages provide a little more dynamic joy of playing and better sensitivity in the mids and highs compared to the route via the Sony chip, which pays off especially for longer listening sessions. The music seems more relaxed and less harsh - exaggerated.

After switching back to cable mode and on the Questyle DAC/headphone amplifier, it is clear: there is a lot more to do here. In all frequency ranges, the music gains pressure and tension, but at the same time seems more effortless and self-evident. At home, I prefer cable mode. But fortunately, Bluetooth playback via the T+A is also a pleasure.

Conclusion - The all-round happy headphones

Normally, you have to opt for an unpleasant compromise: either a Bluetooth headset that can't compete with good wired handset, or a high-class headset for at home. The T+A Solitaire T covers both. It is just as convincing as a high-end passive headphones as it is as a mobile headphones. At least I don't know of any other BT receiver that combines these two areas of application so successfully.

If you are looking for better closed headphones, you have to dig quite deep into your pocket. In addition, the T+A Solitaire T offers all the advantages of travel headphones, plus fantastic workmanship. In view of its all-round successful performance, the "T" is currently by far the most attractive all-round headphones for music lovers with high sound standards.

The price is high, but T+A also makes no compromises with the Solitaire T and does not face any (fidentless) price war. You treat yourself to headphones like this, or not.

Summary of the most important features:
  • powerless, balanced cable operation possible
  • newly developed driver with 42 mm diameter, over 120 dB sound pressure
  • Pressure chamber system with sound guides and special filters for linearization and powerful bass
  • analog acoustics with specially damped membrane made of cellulose against coil resonance
  • no "computational audio" thanks to careful analog tuning
  • HQ mode with Sabre DAC and Class-A output stage
  • Aluminum parts milled from the full, pearl blasted and anodized
  • Carbide joints
  • anti-allergenic artificial leather
  • wired analog or digital via USB-C without data compression
  • clear (male) voice for spoken status messages
  • "Active Analog" for cable operation with access to volume control and ANC
  • Bluetooth 5.1 Class 2, Qualcomm QCC 5127 chip (SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX HD)
  • CXD - Sony ANC Noise Canceling Chip
  • Esstech ES9218 Sabre DAC
  • 2 communication microphones, 2 ANC microphones
  • Frequency response 4 - 22,000 Hz
  • Clinking factor < 0.05% (1 kHz / 94 dB)
  • Cables and adapters: 1.4 m unbalanced (jack 3.5+6.3), balanced 3 m (pentacons), USB-C, aircraft adapter
  • Battery 1200 mAh, Li-Ion: 70 h, 35 in HQ mode, 2 hours charging time
  • Weight: 326 g

Plus/Minus T+A Solitaire T:

+ one of the best-sounding BT-over-ears ever
+ also as passive headphones at top class level
+ excellent wearing comfort
+ noble design and top workmanship
+ great equipment
+ very long battery life
+ intuitive, practical operation
+ very effective ANC
+ high passive noise insulation
+ no creaking or grinding
+ balanced and unbalanced cable connection possible
+ comfortable case with removable cable compartment

- expensive

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #940 of 1,830
Does anyone have (or point me where one is available) recording of voice using the ST. I want to compare voice quality to the ML 5909. I am leaning more and more towards ordering the ST, but it will be sight unseen (or rather hearing unheard) with not clear return path. Thanks.

Feb 4, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #941 of 1,830
Quick hack to prevent this from happening (for those whose T+A Solitaire T is still without any blemishes). The cable box attaches to the inside of the case well enough to stay put, and prevents the cups from touching each other...
The scratches did not happen from storing the headphones in the case. I got them primarily from putting them on my head, because the right side has less space at one point of rotation between upper aluminum part (head band part) and lower part (where the earpiece is attached). In the case the right side does not touch anything.

Feb 5, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #942 of 1,830
when i packing my stuff for a short trip, i suddenly aware that how the wireless headphones looks when i wear them is also important! i just took a few selfies for the bluetooth headphones i've got so people could have some idea how (odd) they look on my big head before (from left to right is hifiman R10d with bluemini dongle, focal bathys, T+A solitaire T and ML 5909).

it's not hard to see why i decided to bring the T+A with me for my trip :relaxed: my personal view is that both the r10d (not a real wireless headphone) and 5909 look exceedingly weird on my head :o2smile: .

btw, ST did break up briefly in a few occasions near traffic lights or near security devices but generally very usable; yet it still lags behind 5909 in bluetooth connectivity.

Attachments

• 20230205_114743.jpg
    20230205_114743.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230205_114956.jpg
    20230205_114956.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230205_115058.jpg
    20230205_115058.jpg
  • 20230205_115129.jpg
    20230205_115129.jpg
Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #943 of 1,830
Can somebody comment or compare the ST to Dan Clarks Aeon Noires - I am wondering if the ST could be my one and only "high end" set of cans.
I have also tried to find a clear compare ANC against Sonys XM4s, XM5s or Bose's QC 45 or 700.

Just wondering if it is worth a try SQ...

Thanks

Feb 5, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #944 of 1,830
Can somebody comment or compare the ST to Dan Clarks Aeon Noires - I am wondering if the ST could be my one and only "high end" set of cans.
I have also tried to find a clear compare ANC against Sonys XM4s, XM5s or Bose's QC 45 or 700.

Just wondering if it is worth a try SQ...

Thanks
They are different.

DCA presents details and tonality similar to ST, but more bass presence. Sound stage on DCA wider and deeper, but not hugely so.

Yes, the ST could be your only set of “high end cans”. If you like the Aeon Noire , you should like the ST. The ANC works as well on planes to me as the Sonys without the ear sweat and “overly quiet” background.

Feb 5, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #945 of 1,830
They are different.

DCA presents details and tonality similar to ST, but more bass presence. Sound stage on DCA wider and deeper, but not hugely so.

Yes, the ST could be your only set of “high end cans”. If you like the Aeon Noire , you should like the ST. The ANC works as well on planes to me as the Sonys without the ear sweat and “overly quiet” background.
Thanks a lot Daniel. That sounds convincing enough to give it a try! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back