Synergy and Epiphanies
Dec 29, 2010 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Marximus

Headphoneus Supremus
Ask my permission before using that phrase for the name of a song or band
tongue.gif
March 16, 2007:  I received a pair of Sony MDR-V6, after reading on Head-Fi for a month.  It was the gateway drug.  I got a good idea of what clarity could do for music.  I found them exceedingly uncomfortable, though, and it was off to the races.
March 5, 2010:  After a bunch of different headphones, I got the AD700s, and was immediately attracted to their soundstage, detail and clarity.  I found the bass impact lacking, though.  The recabled K701s and HD650s I purchased later had much the same effect.
December 28, 2010:  I am probably a bit presumptuous in making this statement (as proved by making similar statements prior to today), but I think my journey may be over.  After a bunch more headphones (see my profile for more information), I got a pair of D5000s last Monday, and had only a brief time to listen to them on my iPod/cMoy before leaving for California to visit family.  My first impression was one of much warmth, and very strong bass.  I came back to them later that day, and I don't know if it was burn-in, or psychoacoustics, but they seemed to change dramatically; bass wasn't as strong, and everything seemed to come into balance.  I was looking forward to getting back to Vancouver to try them on my home system.  I plugged them in to my Denon receiver today and was, um, whelmed:  Not disappointed, but not jubilant, either.  I did some brief A/Bing with my DT990s and found the Beyers to be a bit more exciting and dynamic.  I figured the Denons were just another pair I found inferior to the Beyers, and was ready to send them back to Amazon, but then I thought I'd try them with my Fiio E9.  Whoa.  They suddenly came alive.  What synergy!  An incredible amount of energy and authority, an almost speaker-like presentation (there have been several times when I've taken them off just to make sure the sound is still coming from the headphones).  They remind me of the HD600s, but smoother and with bass.  Everything seems to be exceedingly well balanced; no hot spots or deficiencies.  Excellent bass response and impact, but not a hint of bloat or muddiness, to my ears.  They still have an extraordinary amount of detail, something I've always liked about Denons.  Lovely.  And it's nice to have a pair of headphones that have killer aesthetics and superb comfort, as well.  A high price to pay, but I paid less for these than those recabled K701s, so I've still remained under my budget:).  Wonderful headphones.
A note on the AH-C360:  I bought these because I wanted more bass than the IM-590s.  I got that and more.  They're very bassy, but I think I'll keep them; hopefully burn-in will calm them down.  I think it's safe to say I'm a solid Denon fan.

Dec 29, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 5
Friend, when ianmedium and yourself get together at a meet, I think you might have to resist the urge to hug one another.

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
Ask my permission before using that phrase for the name of a song or band
tongue.gif
March 16, 2007:  I received a pair of Sony MDR-V6, after reading on Head-Fi for a month.  It was the gateway drug.  I got a good idea of what clarity could do for music.  I found them exceedingly uncomfortable, though, and it was off to the races.
March 5, 2010:  After a bunch of different headphones, I got the AD700s, and was immediately attracted to their soundstage, detail and clarity.  I found the bass impact lacking, though.  The recabled K701s and HD650s I purchased later had much the same effect.
December 28, 2010:  I am probably a bit presumptuous in making this statement (as proved by making similar statements prior to today), but I think my journey may be over.  After a bunch more headphones (see my profile for more information), I got a pair of D5000s last Monday, and had only a brief time to listen to them on my iPod/cMoy before leaving for California to visit family.  My first impression was one of much warmth, and very strong bass.  I came back to them later that day, and I don't know if it was burn-in, or psychoacoustics, but they seemed to change dramatically; bass wasn't as strong, and everything seemed to come into balance.  I was looking forward to getting back to Vancouver to try them on my home system.  I plugged them in to my Denon receiver today and was, um, whelmed:  Not disappointed, but not jubilant, either.  I did some brief A/Bing with my DT990s and found the Beyers to be a bit more exciting and dynamic.  I figured the Denons were just another pair I found inferior to the Beyers, and was ready to send them back to Amazon, but then I thought I'd try them with my Fiio E9.  Whoa.  They suddenly came alive.  What synergy!  An incredible amount of energy and authority, an almost speaker-like presentation (there have been several times when I've taken them off just to make sure the sound is still coming from the headphones).  They remind me of the HD600s, but smoother and with bass.  Everything seems to be exceedingly well balanced; no hot spots or deficiencies.  Excellent bass response and impact, but not a hint of bloat or muddiness, to my ears.  They still have an extraordinary amount of detail, something I've always liked about Denons.  Lovely.  And it's nice to have a pair of headphones that have killer aesthetics and superb comfort, as well.  A high price to pay, but I paid less for these than those recabled K701s, so I've still remained under my budget:).  Wonderful headphones.
A note on the AH-C360:  I bought these because I wanted more bass than the IM-590s.  I got that and more.  They're very bassy, but I think I'll keep them; hopefully burn-in will calm them down.  I think it's safe to say I'm a solid Denon fan.

I can't take your post seriously with that little disclaimer.
wink.gif

Anyway, congrats. I love my HD650 and can see them being my go to cans but the Denons are starting to beckon for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back