Survey - how much money would you pay for a headphone setup that is guaranteed to be the best out there, for all types of music
Apr 12, 2014 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ag8908

500+ Head-Fier
Survey - how much money would you pay for a headphone setup that is guaranteed to be the best out there, for all types of music, i.e. a system where you would never have any doubt that there is no other set up out there that will sound better to your ears?

Keep in mind this is a system custom built for your subjective tastes across all music types (or it could be a generic non-custom system if that happens to be the one that satisfies the criteria).

Apr 12, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 17
Just knowing how this works even if it was undeniably the best for my music, I'd probably still crave a different sound signature overall.

Quote:
  I think some your poll choices could be better. I don't think there is even headphone equipment or headphones that cost over 5,000 or 10,000USD

Sony R10, Sony Qualia, Sennheiser Orpheus, Stax 009, JPS Abyss. Amps like Blue Hawaii and dacs like the Diamond dacs

Apr 13, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #6 of 17
I am not so sure you can have a best.....you could have the most expensive, however.

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #8 of 17
I assume the OP is referring to a headphone and amp pairing combination only?

In that event the top line cans are 3,000USD, the Abyss, Stax 009 are 5,000 and the Orpheus HE-90's are 15,000 to 40,000, if you can find anyone willing to part with their pair.

One setup up? Not a stable of 6 great hps?

Then it would have to be the Stax-009 with activator and a matching high SQ amp.

$5000 to $8000 USD.

But once one does that, the entire rest of your audio chain needs to be upgraded...but yeah - $5k.

Apr 13, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #9 of 17
My 2 biggest spends to date were ATH-L3000 headphones (which I no longer own) and my RudiStor amp that I have had for 7 years now

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #11 of 17
  You are missing the option "I would not pay close to any of these amount because I don't care to have the best setup out there."

The people picking $3,000 to $5,000 are sort of saying "I don't care to have the best setup out there" because there's no way you're meeting the criteria for that amount . . .

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #12 of 17
That's probably correct but based on that criteria there probably souldn't be any options under 20.000 or even 30.000. That sum is based on my real world financial situation. If I won the big one, the sky's the limit.

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 17
The people picking $3,000 to $5,000 are sort of saying "I don't care to have the best setup out there" because there's no way you're meeting the criteria for that amount . . .

How do you figure that?

There is only one headphone that is priced greater than $5,000 USD.

That's the best setup, and it's not $30k USD, and the HE-90 is rumoured (never heard it sadly) to be equaled by several top of the line current headphones that are $3k to $5k.

In 2014, best setup is $5k for phones perhaps only $3k.

Are you culling for everything?

I could list a Mark Levinson, Krell or Apogee system that is $500k, but we are talking headphones. That's a pair of cans and an amp not the entire chain.

$5k to $8k would get you the best, then you would get into matters of preference with the highest end hps and head-fi amps.

I suppose you *could* run your HE-90 ($50,000) from the taps of a Pivetta Opera One ($650,000USD) or buy a Kipnis Home Theatre System, but that's not a 'headphone setup'.

Why would you need 20 kilowatts at your headphone input? Yikes!

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #14 of 17
How do you figure that?

There is only one headphone that is priced greater than $5,000 USD.

That's the best setup, and it's not $30k USD, and the HE-90 is rumoured (never heard it sadly) to be equaled by several top of the line current headphones that are $3k to $5k.

In 2014, best setup is $5k for phones perhaps only $3k.

Are you culling for everything?

I could list a Mark Levinson, Krell or Apogee system that is $500k, but we are talking headphones. That's a pair of cans and an amp not the entire chain.

$5k to $8k would get you the best, then you would get into matters of preference with the highest end hps and head-fi amps.

I suppose you *could* run your HE-90 ($50,000) from the taps of a Pivetta Opera One ($650,000USD) or buy a Kipnis Home Theatre System, but that's not a 'headphone setup'.

Why would you need 20 kilowatts at your headphone input? Yikes!

I think someone is not understanding the theoretical nature of the OP's question. We're talking about a magical non-existent headphone amp system that is guaranteed to play your music better than any other out there. How much would you pay to have it be yours? 

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 17
anything above 5k is very marginally good. i will save those 500k monies for the HeadFiFoundation. 
( after i cleared the VISA payments...hmmmm ) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back