Surprise TDK MT-300: $4.97 of AWESOME...
Feb 14, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #301 of 371
Quote:
Once again Inline, I blame you.
ph34r.gif
  Wayne you are just as much an enabler as Inline.
wink_face.gif

I have absolutely no problem enabling you to continue pointing me to great, cheap iem's!
beerchug.gif

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #302 of 371
Quote:
Here's the link to check for price drops:
http://www.shopxscargo.com/product_catalogue/cat_product_details.asp?category_id=6&product_code=35367&sub_category_1_id=19&category=Headphones

So I got the similarly named MC300 just to compare:

You can see the port on the back in that pic which may be responsible for its sound.  These also have a nice, all-metal construction with a quality feel and the same cable as the MT300.  However, sound-wise they are extra-boosted in the bass, while still having great extension into the sub-bass.  Definite basshead IEMs.  Almost boomy, but with proper fit and maybe some burn-in, they seem to have tamed a bit.  Mids have some colour to them from some bass bleed, but otherwise are flat with the treble.  There is no roll-off in the treble, just lots of bass.  Lots.  Even more XB500-like then the MT300.  Worth checking out if you're an XB fan.

vs she3580?

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #304 of 371
I just got my package from atomiknOOb and boy do I feel like a little kid at Christmas haha! 
tongue_smile.gif
 So far i'm loving these little bad boys! They have slight V/U-Shaped sound to them but they still play pretty well with different genres of music. The build quality is quite nice and even though the cord is fairly thin, they have a nice feel to them and have little to no microphonics at all. Great IEMs for how much they go for up in Canada. I'm really impressed and I definitely enjoy these much more than what I remember from the FX101, SHE3580, and Meelectronics lineup. Those were much more V-Shaped, colored, and very sibilant to my ears. These keep that fun sounding signature with the extended bass and sparkly highs without being as extreme as the two. I love em!!!

But that's not all I got! AtomiknOOb was nice enough to to send me the Monoprice 8320 as well!!! Thank you soooo much! I was already incredibly happy that I was going to receive an IEM at no charge in the mail and then you included these too?? I'm speechless...

In terms of sound, I really like the monoprice as well! The bass is lighter but they sound fairly flat or at least what I think of as flat listening to my M50. The soundstage is large for an IEM and the clarity is phenomenal.
basshead.gif
 The only problems I had were with the fitment and comfort because these IEMs are huge!
ksc75smile.gif
 I still enjoy the sound but I think the TDK will be by go to iems now! It was quite a struggle having to listen to my dad's apple earbuds at school 
mad.gif

Now I know exactly what all the hype is about for both of these. They punch way above their price and offer quality that you would never expect. Thank you once again atomiknOOb!!!! This is why the head-fi community is amazing. It's people like that that make the experience something else. 
redface.gif

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #305 of 371
Quote:
I just got my package from atomiknOOb and boy do I feel like a little kid at Christmas haha! 
tongue_smile.gif
 So far i'm loving these little bad boys! They have slight V/U-Shaped sound to them but they still play pretty well with different genres of music. The build quality is quite nice and even though the cord is fairly thin, they have a nice feel to them and have little to no microphonics at all. Great IEMs for how much they go for up in Canada. I'm really impressed and I definitely enjoy these much more than what I remember from the FX101, SHE3580, and Meelectronics lineup. Those were much more V-Shaped, colored, and very sibilant to my ears. These keep that fun sounding signature with the extended bass and sparkly highs without being as extreme as the two. I love em!!!

But that's not all I got! AtomiknOOb was nice enough to to send me the Monoprice 8320 as well!!! Thank you soooo much! I was already incredibly happy that I was going to receive an IEM at no charge in the mail and then you included these too?? I'm speechless...

In terms of sound, I really like the monoprice as well! The bass is lighter but they sound fairly flat or at least what I think of as flat listening to my M50. The soundstage is large for an IEM and the clarity is phenomenal.
basshead.gif
 The only problems I had were with the fitment and comfort because these IEMs are huge!
ksc75smile.gif
 I still enjoy the sound but I think the TDK will be by go to iems now! It was quite a struggle having to listen to my dad's apple earbuds at school 
mad.gif

Now I know exactly what all the hype is about for both of these. They punch way above their price and offer quality that you would never expect. Thank you once again atomiknOOb!!!! This is why the head-fi community is amazing. It's people like that that make the experience something else. 
redface.gif

Awesome input icy! And I can't find any fault in what you are saying..

- the mt300's are wonderfully easy to listen to. They just sound good, and they are very non-fatiguing. Also, their form factor is very nice - they are the only iem's that I can lay down with my head on the side (have to be worn over the ear for that though). Basically, they rock. AtomiknOOb's loss is definitely your gain!

- the 8320's do have wonderful clarity. And I can see how they wouldn't fit all ears! (they fit mine fine). But the bass is fairly lacking, so I really enjoy them if I use them in conjunction with my E11 (on bass boost 2 setting).

- atomiknOOb is not such a bad dude!
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #308 of 371
Feb 26, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #310 of 371
The OP actually hears the SHE3580 like I do--deep V shape.

I need to rename the title of the HSE3580 thread--"an exercise in making average cheapo IEMs sound great", perhaps?  People aren't getting the point that the thread was about suitable EQ making the phones sound great rather than the phones themselves sounding great per se...

Rough graphic EQing can fix the overall balance of the bass / mids / treble while fine parametric EQ can lend "smoothness" to phones that otherwise sound "uneven".

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 26, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #311 of 371
Can't believe they are triple the price on eBay.

Isn't anyone out there who could post me some to UK?

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #312 of 371
Ok, been holding off doing a write up for these MT-300s cuz i didn't want to kill the buzz you'll lovely Canadians have with these TDKs but i think it's good to give my honest impressions on these since i have tried them. I have had these 300s for some time now and have thoroughly burned them in for at least a week, though i can't say i have given them as much ear time.

The reason i have not given them much ear time is that these are pretty average sounding iems. I know i am still a noob to this audio stuff but i feel that the initial hype for these are not really warranted. Atomikn00bs latest realizations as well as others later impressions are much more in line with how i am hearing them and that the MH1Cs are much more refined sounding than these MT-300s.  

Let me start off with the positive aspects of these MT-300s. Man oh man, is the mid/ sub bass stupid big and deep in these lil' suckas. I have used the stock med tips as well as the med tip from my MH1Cs on them and the latter sounds much better as well as more comfortable to wear. I would say these have the most sub bass i have ever heard from all my iems to date. The soundstage is also pretty nice on these, but that is about all the real positives i have to say when compared directly to the MH1Cs.

A direct A/B with the MH1Cs leaves much to desire from these MT-300s. The highs of these 300s are pretty lackluster because they are not just rolled off, but is really dry sounding. By this i mean that the highs are kinda flat and not extended at all. There is no smoothness or sparkle to them unlike the MH1Cs. Although the highs on the MH1Cs are somewhat rolled off as well, they are of the smooth/ refined type. The mids on these 300s are actually not bad, but again there is no sparkle or refinement to it. So when you combine all the positives as well as the negative aspects of these TDK MT-300s what you get is a pretty average iem that has a large quantity of mid/ sub bass but is very lacking in highs and somewhat in the mids regions. These i would say are somewhat dark to semi-dark iems due to it's emphasis on the bass. The overall sonic presentation of the MH1Cs is much more 3D, hence more refined than these MT-300 in all respects. Therefore, the only thing these 300s have over the MH1Cs is the bigger/ deeper sub bass/ mid bass rumble. But sadly the bass on these 300s are not of the refined type as well. 

Although they have a "fun" mainstream sound siggy, what i am hearing from these MT-300s is that they are pretty average iems that don't really punch higher than their retail price. They remind me kinda of a combination of Philips SHE9700 (although the highs and mids are better in the Philips), and Apples new earpods (the bass quality and quantity is really similar although kinda boxy sounding, but surprisingly the soundstage is bigger on the earpods).

Welp this is my honest and blunt impression/ review of these MT-300s, so i hope you'll don't flame me too much for this. haha But i doubt it since you'll are a such a cool bunch. I guess my love for these MT-300s are NOT WORTHY to you lovely Canadians because i am an evil American after all.
wink_face.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #313 of 371
Feb 27, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #314 of 371
Feb 27, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #315 of 371
Wayne's gonna go BALLISTIC be careful !
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back