Surprise TDK MT-300: $4.97 of AWESOME...
Jan 11, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #211 of 371
Quote:
I can find these for $24 in America. How are they as $24 iems? I see they are excellent at $10 and less, but what about at $24?

using the gr07 and the brainwavs phones as a measuring stick.
I'd say they're worth about 50-80 USD.

while different in sound than the mh1c and arguably better (depending on what aspect of sound you're using for judgement), I'd still put it in the same price bracket.

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #212 of 371
If I were in the situation where I had to have another pair later on for some reason, i'd do the ebay for sure no question here for me anyhow.
Assuming they are still available then. It's not like these are a current production model I don't think (?)

I never find myself thinking " $5-10 IEMs" when I am using these ever, I think " wow completely enjoyable " but mainly i don't think because I am lost into the tunes.

AtomiknOOb used the word sexy, I can see that for sure.

...and Atomik I keep thinking about your awesome Denon D2000 reference. That's something else!
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #213 of 371
Alright I got my Christmas gift from Nick in my ears...

I LOVE THEM, HAHAHAHA.

Thanks Nick! What a discovery.

I'm using the large tips that came with it.

I come from using those (for five years they have been my only headphone):

(Sennheiser CX-300)

And the TDK MT-300 is way better (in every categories, clarity/detail, tighter bass, highs more in proportion)... fit is better too, from being angled or I don't know how: I was able to take my dinner, working with my jaw, and they didn't move a hair.

I appended a small shirt clip and with that "slide-able cable-tie" they won't bulge. They would be fine for sport, they will become my law mowing headphone.

I had permanently stopped listening to music outside, for hearing the cars and saying hello to the people; but now that I have these I want to return to listen music and not care for the world around me!

I haven't tried try them upside down yet, but I'm amazed that some were able to sleep on their side with them on!

I really like the thin cable. Aluminum looks good but I would have preferred Magnesium for its lightness; because these are meant to be light. Other than that they are perfect for me. They sound great for the price (I'm no connoisseur in IEMs but these sound so right to me!), and they look good too. Strain reliefs that make sense...

Oh, and no in-line remote-mic, HURRAH!

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #214 of 371
^ Welcome to the nutter-club Devouringone3! Glad you're enjoying them.

And as usual Nick, cheers to you as well!
beerchug.gif

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #215 of 371
Ok. OK.
Despite knowing it will fall short, I'll stop enjoying and do a critical listen later this evening between this little wonder and my gr07 mkii.

Honestly though. I'm looking forward to eric comparing them to the fxz100.
yes, I said it.

Jan 13, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #216 of 371
Thanks Wayne :D

I said that I used the large tip; I'm talking about the silicon one that came with mine. But I saw stock photos on which it has foam ones and I was recommended against them.

I like that the brand name is only at one place: on the cable; the buds themselves being blank.

Jan 13, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #217 of 371
Quote:
Ok. OK.
Despite knowing it will fall short, I'll stop enjoying and do a critical listen later this evening between this little wonder and my gr07 mkii.

yes, I said it.

I'm pretty impressed that you are enjoying them so much - very cool. I'm really looking forward to your gr07 mkii comparison, and yes, also to eric's fxz100 comparison l
eek.gif

Quote:
Thanks Wayne :D

I said that I used the large tip; I'm talking about the silicon one that came with mine. But I saw stock photos on which it has foam ones and I was recommended against them.

I like that the brand name is only at one place: on the cable; the buds themselves being blank.

I don't know why the stock photos show foam tips, when the MT300's don''t come with foam tips. Anyway, in my experience, foam tips are useful to dampen highs and boost bass. I use them on my FXD70's for that very purpose, and they sound great. But, the MT300's don't need that imo. My favorite tips on the MT300's are the mh1c mid-sized tips. When I try the mh1c large tips, the bass for me is a bit overwhelming, but the mid-sized tips sound perfect to me.

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #218 of 371
Quote:
Ok. OK.

yes, I said it.

Done once I get them! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #219 of 371
Quote:
 Done once I get them! 
beerchug.gif

oh no you have to wait until they send their tendrils deep inside your ears ( they grow on you ) , which takes a few days for the molecular bonding effects to settle in. Waynenumm can tell you about that .

There's another impression I got today via pm that really surprised me, but I will let them post that up if they want. It had to do with some customs, and I don't mean the postal type of customs.
ph34r.gif

Jan 13, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #220 of 371
Will be comparing it to this TDK too. 
deadhorse.gif

[size=small]Earbud Stereo Headphones CLEF-MA[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]   to realize contour presence and clear sound even in noisy environment by designing high sound pressure, MA newly developed (magnetic armature) [/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]   Earbud Stereo Headphones CLEF-MA equipped with a driver (TH-ECMA600BK )    【Product Features】achieve outstanding sound expressive power even in noisy    is the armature driver of one pole type, with a (magnetic armature) driver MA new development.    Is created by the diaphragm and magnet high magnetic force (an alloy of iron and nickel) permalloy, the sound of high sound pressure sensitivity,    claims the presence and contour of the sound was clear even in noisy environments. High durability against external shock    for one simple structure achieves superior impact resistance magnet. Also, in order to contribute to the power-saving, reducing the battery consumption of music player. Year mechanism with movable holder    with adjustable position, the movable holder mechanism by 15 ° up and down year in accordance with the shape of the ear. Realized the hold that a comfortable and stable fit. Silver alloy code adopted    adopted a code (silver alloy) Silver alloy blended with highly conductive silver copper wire. To achieve high-quality sound.    Braided tangle resistant high-strength code (type clothing knitting).    Product Specification] [    TH-ECMA600BK: Part    type magnetic armature Model:    3.5mm stereo mini plug (type L): Plug    Driver: magnetic armature driver    15 22,000 Hz:? frequency band playing    112dB/mW: sound pressure sensitivity    input 60Ω: impedance    1.1m: Cord Length    Code Type: Silver Alloy (silver alloy)    weight: 14g [/size][size=small][/size]
size]

Jan 14, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #221 of 371
I'll have them to you next week!  Distract yourself with something else for a few days!

So I've been spending time comparing them critically to the Philips Citiscape Underground (aka SHE5105).

This really was a toughie because prior to the MT-300s the Undergrounds were my favourite all-rounder IEM; they have a mic, are easy to insert, have a 90° plug, and neat magnets that keep the L and R housings together during storage.
Sound signature is very similar to the MT-300 with a boosted bass and excellent mid and treble response, but I find the Underground has some of that Philips "house" sound where the bass is boosted but then rolled off, and the treble is just.. rolled off, though only a bit on the Underground.  It really takes some concentration to pick out the difference in clarity between the two, but I think the Underground also has some grain in the upper mids as well as a bit of bass leak.  Though these are all subtle differences, the soundstage sets the two easily apart, with the MT300 having a much more natural presentation.

From my memory I was expecting the Underground to be pretty close to the MT300.  On the road I may still favour the Underground just for its practicalities, but for a quick listening session or tasks around the house the MT300 still remains hard to beat.

BTW on looking at these thin MT300 cables some more I find that their thinness actually makes them look nice and subtle... classy even.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #222 of 371
Quote:
I'll have them to you next week!  Distract yourself with something else for a few days!

So I've been spending time comparing them critically to the Philips Citiscape Underground (aka SHE5105).

This really was a toughie because prior to the MT-300s the Undergrounds were my favourite all-rounder IEM; they have a mic, are easy to insert, have a 90° plug, and neat magnets that keep the L and R housings together during storage.
Sound signature is very similar to the MT-300 with a boosted bass and excellent mid and treble response, but I find the Underground has some of that Philips "house" sound where the bass is boosted but then rolled off, and the treble is just.. rolled off, though only a bit on the Underground.  It really takes some concentration to pick out the difference in clarity between the two, but I think the Underground also has some grain in the upper mids as well as a bit of bass leak.  Though these are all subtle differences, the soundstage sets the two easily apart, with the MT300 having a much more natural presentation.

From my memory I was expecting the Underground to be pretty close to the MT300.  On the road I may still favour the Underground just for its practicalities, but for a quick listening session or tasks around the house the MT300 still remains hard to beat.

BTW on looking at these thin MT300 cables some more I find that their thinness actually makes them look nice and subtle... classy even.

Patience is a virtue. 
beerchug.gif
popcorn.gif
lol

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #223 of 371
Hey has anyone looked into the tdk MC300 as maybe similar? New model?

Jan 15, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #224 of 371
Quote:
I finally got sick of comparing these to my Monoprice 8320s so it's time to tell the story:

vs Monoprice 8320
First impression is that the MT300 has boosted bass.  This can be good for some, bad for others.  Personally I enjoy feeling like I'm on stage, or in the room with the drums - it reminds me of my high school rock band days.  But it's hard to ignore the "grand concert hall" feel of the 8320s.  On switching back to the MT300s I feel like I lose a tiny little bit of the highs, and maybe some of their detail, though I'm not convinced.  Soundstage closes in a touch too, but I feel it is still above average for IEMs.  The mids are where I spent most of my time.  The 8320 is such a clear, mid-centric earphone, it was hard for me to believe the TDKs could be that good, but they are.  I think the TDKs have as much clarity in the mids as the 8320s and I don't get bored of them as quickly as the 8320s.  After some time with the TDKs, and keeping in mind that I have other higher-end full-size cans, and IEMs, I don't feel like I'm missing anything with the TDKs.  I think I just prefer the TDKs. There, I said it.

It's a close one though, and they easily complement each other more than compete, with the 8320s being really amazing for classical pieces in particular, and the TDKs as a general all-rounder.  I mean, there are tracks where the TDKs can become annoying at first, but then the bass-head in me takes over and says "oh yeah, I play the bass, I'm the bassist, let's jam".

The deal killer for the 8320 is ergonomics.  The awkward fitment and inconsistent seal of the 8320 makes it so much work to get fitted, that I sometimes pass on them because I want to get to my music sooner.  The TDKs are easy to fit quickly, and if you do it fast enough, you can still feel the cool aluminum on your lobes.. few IEMs can do that!

I just received my S500 competition prize from dsnuts... Monoprice 8320's! I will reserve my impressions for until after I have listened to them for a while (and after a bit of burn-in), but I will say this: I am rather impressed with them! I should point out also that I seem to be getting a great fit with them
smile.gif

Anyway, it will be fun to listen to the MT300's and the 8320's duke it out in my head!

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #225 of 371
Quote:
Hey has anyone looked into the tdk MC300 as maybe similar? New model?

UPS is bringing me one tomorrow, along with two other presents... :wink:

Quote:
I just received my S500 competition prize from dsnuts... Monoprice 8320's! I will reserve my impressions for until after I have listened to them for a while (and after a bit of burn-in), but I will say this: I am rather impressed with them! I should point out also that I seem to be getting a great fit with them
smile.gif

Anyway, it will be fun to listen to the MT300's and the 8320's duke it out in my head!

Yeah they compliment each other nicely... too bad you don't have four ears (or do you???)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back