Superlux HD661
Sep 26, 2011 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Psilocybe

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I currently own a pair of Samson SR850s (OEM HD668B) and I love them. However, they're open so I can't use them in noisy environments, and they cable isn't very durable.

I heard about the new Superlux HD661s from the rockgrotto forums, and they sounded like they solved both problems; closed back with detachable cable. Apparently they don't sound half bad either.

Does anyone either know where to buy a pair in the US, have a pair to sell, or have any impressions of these cans? Fairly flat? Too coloured for mixing work? Musical?

Thanks!

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #5 of 14
Hey ... we have them .. here is my impression:

Man got chance to listen to the HD-661 last night ... and freak it sounds like sex to me... ear tease.. to the max, had a chance to compare it to the 7506..  the 6 is bright light in the ass.. and not good for tracking and neither is good for monitoring... ( they will make make a bad mix sound good or not according to the real world )  but very pleasing to listen to... the 661 has better isolation but not as good as the 662 series when tracking. the 661 is louder then my worn out 7506... the 661 sounds better... more hype. over all.. but fatiguing to me after awhile if you our a loud listener...  i prefer the real world sound of the 681, and 662 series... over all the 661 is a super can and way worth the money..     Doyen AudioHipster Recording Services

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 14
Use lower volume settings with the HD661 and it makes sense. It needs a bit of amplification. The top end has a slight emphasis that might not please everyone. My review can be found in the 'devoted thread' over there. 

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
really? which of the superluxes do you think are best for metal? i was hoping the 661 are good for the genre..because i think they are the most portable ones..

I dont have them. They seem like they all have very close very bright signatures so rock should work on them :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back