Superlux has New Headphones: HD662MKII & HD681MKII
Mar 9, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #96 of 149

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #97 of 149
Received the black HD681 evo earlier today (thanks a bunch Doyen+Audiohipster), some pics -

Looks like some stiff felt was added in front of the driver, I guess to tame the treble. Venting scheme has changed abit with the new design too.
Also note the three screws; i've tried removing them to open up the cups but the baffle won't budge. I wonder if it's clipped on or glued on, because it's on there pretty tight. Would love to get in there to see if they implemented some sort of filter similar to Solderdude's filter on the old 681 or if they're just relying on the thick felt to tame the treble

The pads are nice, theyre made of a pleather material similar to Creative WOW pads, but the foam within the pads is firmer and so it feels pretty stiff. Creative pads do fit btw, with a bit of stretching

The build quality is similar to what I remember of the older Superluxes, plasticky yet fairly sturdy. The glossy parts give off the "cheapy" vibe but its all decent quality plastic. The headband suspension system is abit of a disappointment compared to the older Superluxes, the headband doesnt really move freely (it's pinched somewhere), doesnt have very much room to adjust, and sits fairly high. I'd imagine these won't be very comfortable if one doesn't have a tall enough head, or a buffer of hair between their head and the headband 
size]

Sound is pleasant so far, highs are definitely emphasized but not strident like I remember of the other Superluxes, seems a little bit more tilted toward the boosted lows now. It's got the same v-shaped signature of the ol' 681. Wish I still had mine to compare since sonic memory from more than a year ago isn't very reliable, and also because my source+amp has changed since then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back