Superlux has New Headphones: HD662MKII & HD681MKII
Mar 12, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #106 of 149
I've also received my pair from Doyen today. I agree with what kidcharlemagne has said. 

To add a few things:
-The bumps on the headband don't bother me and they're not solid bumps, so they flatten when they're put on your head. Much better than the q701 bumps if you've tried it.
-It's more open than the original 681
-The highs aren't as sharp as the original 681
-The pads are comfortable and are a godsend if you've been using the original 681 pads, lol

I was also surprised the headband was not adjustable, but I'm lucky enough that it fits perfectly. On the other hand, I was disappointed that the cable didn't have a sleeve like the original picture(plus the pads are different).

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #107 of 149
Quote:
I've also received my pair from Doyen today. I agree with what kidcharlemagne has said. 

To add a few things:
-The bumps on the headband don't bother me and they're not solid bumps, so they flatten when they're put on your head. Much better than the q701 bumps if you've tried it.
-The pads are comfortable and are a godsend if you've been using the original 681 pads, lol

I was also surprised the headband was not adjustable, but I'm lucky enough that it fits perfectly. On the other hand, I was disappointed that the cable didn't have a sleeve like the original picture(plus the pads are different).

How about bass, mid, sound stage compare to original 681?

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #108 of 149
Quote:

To add a few things:

That looks both promising and odd.. Non-adjustable headband? 
blink.gif

Mar 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #110 of 149
Quote:

How about bass, mid, sound stage compare to original 681?

Pretty similar except it's more open and not as sharp. I still need to burn mine in, as I was told it improves quite a bit.

In regards to the non-adjustable, I prefer it this way because I'm lucky enough that it fits. I don't have to worry about elastic wearing out.

If you already have the original 681 w/ comfortable pads and the sharper highs don't bother you, you can take your time on getting the evo.

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #111 of 149
Quote:
What's the diameter of the ear opening inside the pad? Thanks.

Roughly 2 1/4"

Quote:
Do they clamp as much as the old ones? 

I think so, wearing them for a few hours doesnt cause much pain, theyre not nearly as clampy as I remember the MH310/HD662 or SR850

Also, regarding the headband, I just opened it up and it does turn out that it is adjustable; it's just the way it it's designed makes it fairly hard to move. The elastic is a thick piece of rubber so I guess it needs a little bit of a break in to help the headband to move freely

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #112 of 149
Like the previous 681, you can see the headband (steel?) is use to transmit signal to the right speaker.

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #113 of 149
Good that it's adjustable for those that need it. Just noticed mine moves if I pull hard enough. I didn't want to pull too hard previously, because I didn't want to ruin them and I assumed the screws were holding the headband.

I've since noticed the openings on the bottom(next to the silver piece) and thought that was interesting as it is probably part of the reason it sounds more open.

On another note, I wonder what earpads would fit or if the same can be bought if the original pair wears out?

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #114 of 149
Quote:
Good that it's adjustable for those that need it. Just noticed mine moves if I pull hard enough. I didn't want to pull too hard previously, because I didn't want to ruin them and I assumed the screws were holding the headband.

I've since noticed the openings on the bottom(next to the silver piece) and thought that was interesting as it is probably part of the reason it sounds more open.

On another note, I wonder what earpads would fit or if the same can be bought if the original pair wears out?

the same pads that fit the old 681.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #115 of 149
Hey has anyone heard both the 662 and the 681 evos ?  I heard at least one of these at winter NAMM but for the life of me I can't figure out which.  It bugs me because at first listen these sounded like multi hundred dollar cans.  So much did I like them that I took a photograph of the booth.  To this day I can't remember which pair I listened to but the one I did listen to had very solid bass, I just ordered a pair of 681's from our favorite E-bay distributor 

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #116 of 149
From what I've heard read, the 662 evo sounds the same as the old one. If you do find out whether it was the 681 evo that sounded like multi hundred dollar cans to you, please let us know. :)

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #117 of 149
Quote:
From what I've heard read, the 662 evo sounds the same as the old one. If you do find out whether it was the 681 evo that sounded like multi hundred dollar cans to you, please let us know. :)

whoa, $40 headphone that sounds like a multihundred dollar pair? I know they sound good and are great value but thats really pushing it..

Mar 18, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #119 of 149
Just got a pair of EVO 681 and I like them. Surprisingly, it has a really nice combination of speed, attack and PRAT, well suited for pop music and rock. Also great for jazz because it's bassy, fast and plenty of high frequency detail. On softer music like classical, it  shines less, as it's missing some mid-tone detail. It reminds me of the DT770 with its V-shaped sound signature. I wish I had the 770 to compare.

I did do a brief comparison with headphones like the M100, Q40 and Amperior on a portable setup (Alo RxMK2/Walkman). The 681 sounds remarkably similar to the Amperior. Fast, punchy bass (unlike the relative bass overload of the M100 and slow-ish Q40). Forward, detailed treble. Mids are recessed but no more or less than the Amperior. I'm thinking the 681EVO is what the Amperior would sound like, full-sized - wider, more spacious soundstage, more bass weight.

Construction-wise, very plasticky and cheap feeling. I guess the trade off is that it's very light. Lighter than the M100 and Q40. About the same weight as the much smaller Amperior. Comfort-wise, again, they remind me of the DT770 because of similar cup size. I found the 770 to have a tight fit on my fairly large head at max setting. The 681's  adjustable band actually allows for more leeway than the 770 at max setting. So I'm definitely getting a better fit on the 681. Ideally you can use Beyer velour pads to increase comfort level. I think I just might do that because I'm liking its fun sound at the moment. I was hoping you could use the Beyer pads to increase comfort but unfortunately they're too small. Oh well.

Not bad for 50 bucks.

I have to admit that at certain angles the 681 EVO certainly doesn't look cheap. Nice low profile in black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back