Superlux Express Train
Sep 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #406 of 1,352
Quote:
Is there any difference in sound or is it just aesthetics?

Sure I can clear up the rambling I did there for that mod.

New pads are World of Warcraft Soundblaster headset pads.

What I used in the innards:

1. Dynamat
  2. Special Acoustic filler , but any thing similar should be fine like speaker filler( polyfill type of stuff )
  3. Creatology Brand Self Adhesive Foam  ( ~1/8 inch thick ,available from most decent craft stores )
  4. ears :)

I filled  inside the raised center square ( surrounding the round cup-mount raised bits ) in the cup rears with Creatology Foam as seen in the first picture
So a square of foam but missing the center circle to fit around the cup-mounts.

Nothing directly on that cup-mount top it looks like the driver has a hole directly in the middle of it and it vents on that cup-mount top and is secured against it by the two stock rubber spacers. limited space there too. ( I might try it )
 I guess I also could have used a bottom layer of Dynamat in the raised square area and then put the foam on top also, but I got lazy. ( I may do it still )

Next I cut lemon-wedged shaped pieces of Dynamat and put these around the outsides of the square area on all 4 sides, and as long as all 4 sides.

I stuck the Creatology Foam on top of these lemon-wedged shaped Dynamat pieces.

On the inside of the baffle around the driver there are 6 damped tuned-port holes. 3 tuned-port holes one half and 3 on the other. There is a gap between these two sets of 3 port holes on the baffle perimeter. I cut 2 tapered pieces of Dynamat to fit into these two spots making sure to not cover over any ports. About the same width as the space between the driver edge and the baffle edge.
Covered these with exact shaped Creatology Foam pieces also.

Next and lastly I added some Acoustic Filler to the cup insides to deal with any further resonances and help increase perceived width and space.
 I find that if there are  tuned damped ports in the baffles of a can i use Acoustic Filler in, I need to use less than i would normally if the cans had a solid baffle and no portings.

This is obviously due to the fact that some sound will leak through those back to your ears whereas solid baffles not so much.  So this means i use less than normal amounts of filler as it is sounds muffled otherwise. Just how it works and obviously you would tune to ear depending on what you use. Doesn't have to be crammed full tight, just a less packed amount will do.

Reassemble cups.

I don't think there is any change it sound, but I have only heard one. If anyone would be cool enough to get both and do a comparison that be cool

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #407 of 1,352
Thanks, nick n. I just threw some socks over the pads, and am loving the bit of warmth and bass impact added, so I won't be modding any further for a while, but I will make sure to mentally bookmark that post for later use
beerchug.gif

Sep 15, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #409 of 1,352
Supertoaster, that would be a question for Audiohipster. You might want to pm him. I only have the 662f version, and don't have anything of note to compare them to, but with the light mods that I have done, I can say that I am very happy with the impact, depth, and detail of the bass.

If you want bass though, you might want to check out a different model of Superlux (not to say that the 662f is bass lacking, but it isn't bassheavy). I am sure that Superlux offers some model that has plenty of bass. You would just have to ask the right person, which, sadly, I am not.

Edit: Just stumbled upon this thread. Maybe this would suit you. Though again, I am personally very happy with the bass of my 662f.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620241/superlux-hd-631-dj-headphone

Sep 15, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #410 of 1,352
Sep 16, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #411 of 1,352
Sep 17, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #413 of 1,352
Quote:
Hi guys.What with Superlux HD-660 socks mod or others?

Sock mod would probably be the same as it was for the other headphones if thats what you're trying to ask.

Does anybody know if they ever made just a normal Superlux HD668? Because we have the 668b but all the other models seem to have 3 variants. 681, 681b, 681f, etc.

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #414 of 1,352
Quote:
Sock mod would probably be the same as it was for the other headphones if thats what you're trying to ask.
Does anybody know if they ever made just a normal Superlux HD668? Because we have the 668b but all the other models seem to have 3 variants. 681, 681b, 681f, etc.

As far as I know, there is only one version of the HD668B.

Sep 19, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #415 of 1,352
Superlux 662 came in yesterday. And i really like what I hear. Can't compare them to any other headphones because these are my first :) The isolation is awesome, i can bareley hear myself talking. 

Sep 19, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #418 of 1,352
Personally, I was so in love with the cans straight out of the box, that I just listened to them for enormous amounts of time. You might notice some change in the sound as you go. Though, leaving them on overnight playing at a normal volume with your typical music, or some bass heavy music is sometimes recommended.

Sep 21, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #419 of 1,352
all that is being shipped is the 2nd edition, with the maroon ring, unless some dealer has stockpiled... there is no difference in the driver, altho some say the red ring took longer to break in, and a few liked the darker ring.  now as far as clones...  well other them one model may look like another... it is far from cloneville... none of the 50MM drivers are anything a like an other model, then possible first looks... some have thinner or duel layer diafrhams... and most models differ drastically... and the AKG 240 has smaller drivers anywho... and don't think the HD-681B sounds like the 240 ... but the 681 does quite a bit, it just has more extreme low boost and insane highs...  the 50mm driver KH-m98 looks more like the AKG... very light, but the driver is no where close to some of the Superslutz... but you can pop in two 662 drivers ... and you are in heaven. Cheers Doyen 

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #420 of 1,352
Quote:
all that is being shipped is the 2nd edition, with the maroon ring,

which model do you mean the 662 ?

the manufacturer is only shipping these for now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back