Superlux Express Train
May 3, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #106 of 1,352

Quote:
Can anyone compare the H668B to the Sony V6?

Joker should be adding the superluxes to his magnus shootout of portables soon.

Quote:
Just responding to your signature:

Step1: Lose your sources.
Step2: get a cheap $40 Sansa Clip+ and install Rockbox
Step3: buy a $60 JDS Labs CMOY amplifier from Ebay
Step4: Buy a $8 Fiio L8 (or similar) interconnect.
Step5: Listen to your HD668b. 
Step6: Get on the floor/thank the heavens/deity of choice/me. 
Step7: Everybody walk the dinosaur

ph34r.gif

May 3, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #107 of 1,352
So has anybody ever compared the 668b to a DT990? Any confirmation that they sound similar?

May 4, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #109 of 1,352

Quote:
So has anybody ever compared the 668b to a DT990? Any confirmation that they sound similar?

Well I find it interesting that most people find the DT990 Bass heavy and the 668B bass light. Impressions don't lend me to believe they sound so similar but thats just guesswork. If I were to guess, the 668B is probably more a bit more forward in the mid range and a bit less forward in the treble and (perhaps slightly even less forward) in the bass. Perhaps a tamer DT990? Again this is all concluded from what I've read.

May 5, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #110 of 1,352
I got a Superlux HD669 coming in, which will make my collection of Superluxes a bit like this:

- HD669
- HD668b 
- HD662
- HD681
- HD381

I think it's about time for a big comparison review, don't you agree?

May 5, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #111 of 1,352
!? Dunno if I should envy or pity you. LOL.
JUST DO EET!
Been preoccupied with stuff, but still wanting a second Superlux.

Quote:
I got a Superlux HD669 coming in, which will make my collection of Superluxes a bit like this:

- HD669
- HD668b 
- HD662
- HD681
- HD381

I think it's about time for a big comparison review, don't you agree?

May 5, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #112 of 1,352

Quote:
!? Dunno if I should envy or pity you. LOL.
JUST DO EET!
Been preoccupied with stuff, but still wanting a second Superlux.

Oh well, some people collect stamps. I collect bang-for-your-buck/underdog headphones. :) Best thing about these Superluxes is that they are all so cheap (haven't paid more than $30 for any of 'em here in The Netherlands) you can just give them away as presents to friends. Makes me feel better as well since that way they'll stop using their crappy ibuds. 

May 5, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #113 of 1,352

Quote:
Oh well, some people collect stamps. I collect bang-for-your-buck/underdog headphones. :) Best thing about these Superluxes is that they are all so cheap (haven't paid more than $30 for any of 'em here in The Netherlands) you can just give them away as presents to friends. Makes me feel better as well since that way they'll stop using their crappy ibuds. 

So what are your favorite / least favorite cans in that list, and why?

May 5, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #114 of 1,352

Quote:
So what are your favorite / least favorite cans in that list, and why?

Too early to say. I haven't received the Hd669 yet. I was counting on today but I'll probably get it tomorrow. From the others I like the HD662 better than the, for example, Sennheiser HD280pro because the sound is on par but the headphones are more comfortable. Very good value for the $27 I paid for them. The bass is slightly overwhelming and the treble slightly sibilant at higher volumes but I still have to burn these in. I like the HD668b more than, for example, my ATH-AD700 because it offers the same immersive soundstage but actually has bass. 
bigsmile_face.gif
 As soon as I receive the HD669 I'll start working on an in-depth comparison review of all of them. I'll compare them to similar priced models from other manufacturers, probably also to some higher priced ones from my collection and some from my friends' collections. It's gonna be interesting and I'm looking forward to see how they stack up. 

May 5, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #115 of 1,352
Negakinu:
Looking forward to it.
Curious about your impression on the incoming 669 considering that the 662 that I auditioned didn't do much for me, but ours are different ears. Looking at your stash, am sure yours are more experienced than mine.
Everytime I put on my 669, I can't help but wonder how these babies can sound so fun for so cheap.

May 5, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #116 of 1,352
I really need to try this 668B out, as similar as it may be to Samson. The AD700 is known for soundstage and while the Samsons are definitely good in that area, i wouldn't say they're necessarily that special, unlike the impressions I've read of the 668B. How would you say it compares to your DT880 in terms of sound signature Negakinu? It's supposed to imitate the DT990, but from description seems to sounds more like what I've read of the DT880.

May 11, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #117 of 1,352
What headphone has bass most similar to the Sony XBR-HD500? I really like the design of these headphones, but bass is very important to me. These headphones would also be cheaper than the sony's so I'm willing to sacrifice some bass and possibly even gain some better SQ.

May 12, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #118 of 1,352
I just upgraded my HD668b with the AKG velour pads and well, guess what... I actually find them bass-heavy now. I saw a few others who said the Superlux were bass-heavy but I have no idea if they had already upgraded the pads or not, as with the stock pads it's definitely not bass-heavy. 

Maybe I'm used to bass-light sound but I'm not convinced. 
My sources are FLAC/VBR V0 with a Xonar DS (stock amp, but ordered another one) and a FiiO E7. Configured for bit perfect playback in foobar and the drivers (no resampling, no DSP, no EQ etc)

Comfort and soundstage are definitely better than before though. 

May 15, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #120 of 1,352

Quote:
I really need to try this 668B out, as similar as it may be to Samson. The AD700 is known for soundstage and while the Samsons are definitely good in that area, i wouldn't say they're necessarily that special, unlike the impressions I've read of the 668B. How would you say it compares to your DT880 in terms of sound signature Negakinu? It's supposed to imitate the DT990, but from description seems to sounds more like what I've read of the DT880.

DT880 has more depth and a more realistic sound, HD668B is more 2D. DT880 is brighter around 9khz, making them seem more detailed. They're also of much better build quality and much more comfortable than the HD668b. The HD668b has boomier bass than the DT880. Let's say the HD668b is 70% of the DT880 for 1/8th of the price with a little more bass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back