Superlux Express Train
Mar 21, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #616 of 1,352
I'm stuck between the new HD-681 Evo and the HD-330. I think the HD-330 would be a better choice for me, as I listen to rock mostly, but I'm not certain if my laptop is able to drive them properly. I previously had the PortaPro's and I really loved the warm sound they produced. Right now this is what my HD-681 lacks and why I want to upgrade. So I know that the HD-330 needs an amp to be driven properly, but how bad/good is it without one?

From experience conducted with my own HD660 I'd say that without proper amplification they're going to be worse than an 681 unamped. Do you already own a HD-681? Then the evo really wouldn't make much sense as an upgrade.

As an upgrade it could be an alternative to first buy an amp to use with your 681, and when you can afford to upgrade the headphone, do so. But the 330 without an amp probably isn't going to be satisfying at all.

Also remember that some minor equalization could give you a (slightly) warmer sound out of your current headphones.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #617 of 1,352
From experience conducted with my own HD660 I'd say that without proper amplification they're going to be worse than an 681 unamped. Do you already own a HD-681? Then the evo really wouldn't make much sense as an upgrade.

As an upgrade it could be an alternative to first buy an amp to use with your 681, and when you can afford to upgrade the headphone, do so. But the 330 without an amp probably isn't going to be satisfying at all.

Also remember that some minor equalization could give you a (slightly) warmer sound out of your current headphones.

Yeah I have the original HD-681. They're great headphones, but slightly tinny and even with an EQ they are a bit too sharp. I guess I'll wait for some more reviews of the Evo, because another issue with the original HD-681 is the fact that they're uncomfortable and I don't see a point in buying leather pads more expensive than the headphones itself. The material is fine, that doesn't bother me, but the pads are too thin and my ears start to hurt after some time.

However, HD-330 + a CMOY would be a good combo, I guess?

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #621 of 1,352
Are the 681 Evo really that much of an upgrade over the 681 to motivate the higher price? The best price for the evo would be 45$ + shipping from ebay while the regular 681 would be 20 euro (roughly 26 dollars) from thomann + shipping. But I guess that once the larger stores start to stock these headphones and they become readily available the price will drop somewhat and also once the headphone has been out a while longer.

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #622 of 1,352
hey skkandori I Just ordered the 681 evo in black from audiohipster's store.. if you email him and mention you are from head-fi he might give you a little discount.  Can't wait for these to arrive.  The look and the detachable cable sold me on these instead of the gemini hsr-1000 which also look good.
http://www.audiohipster.com/AudioHipster/Headphones.html

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #623 of 1,352
Just received these from audiohipster and I'm very happy with them. I only compared them to my sennheiser hd595, but they are just about on the same level with the advantage going to the sennheiser for more impactful base and a little more detail in the highs/female voices. The sound from the 681 evo's is very balanced to me and I can listen to them for a long time without fatigue. They are pretty comfy but you have to kind of pull down on them when they are over your head to get the adjustable band to stretch. The cord is slightly microphonic but not enough to be a con. Build quality feels very good, the pleather ear pads are nice and thick. It uses a stubby 3.5mm male connector single sided cord. You attach female to male 3.5mm cords to it. I think I would have preferred a 4' cord and a 6' extension, the stubby thing just looks so weird. Maybe one day I'll use BTG Audio to recable it. There's a tiny cosmetic flaw in one of my pads but it doesn't affect anything. It's in the last pic. A very good set of headphones for their price range. Also notable is that the manual is well written, has all the specs you'd want in a headphone manual and with no engrish. I took some unboxing pics

I also want to mention my experience with Audiohipster was extremely good. He shipped these super fast to me, they went from california to hawaii in 72 hours. He also let me change my order from white to black headphones without any problems. Here's the url to his store http://www.audiohipster.com/AudioHipster/Pro_Audio_Sales.html

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #624 of 1,352
NICE! Thanks for the shots.  Doyen is great to deal with.

Just noticed the sticky there with "Your Name' on it, sneaky, very sneaky
wink_face.gif

Mar 29, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #625 of 1,352
Quote:

I have received the HD330 yesterday and it sounds even louder than 681 from my Samsung Wave. Better sensitivity appears to be the key here.
Highs are VERY recessed on this one, if anyone's wondering :) Bass are tight and deep, and mids are so sweet, almost sennheiser-like.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM Post #626 of 1,352
This doesn't make it any easier lol :D My main issue with the original HD-681 is the comfort, the earpads are too thin and my ears start to hurt. One possibility is to buy new leather earpads, but they cost more than the headphones themselves, so I don't see a point in that. My second option is to get the HD-330 which should fit me well as I listen to mostly rock. I'll probably get an amp anyway, so amping is not an issue. But the new Evo looks also quite impressive, so I'm stuck between the two. I guess it's too early to expect a comparison between the HD-330 and the HD-681 Evo?

Also, are the pads on the Evo thicker than on the original HD-681?

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #627 of 1,352
Quote:
This doesn't make it any easier lol :D My main issue with the original HD-681 is the comfort, the earpads are too thin and my ears start to hurt. One possibility is to buy new leather earpads, but they cost more than the headphones themselves, so I don't see a point in that. My second option is to get the HD-330 which should fit me well as I listen to mostly rock. I'll probably get an amp anyway, so amping is not an issue. But the new Evo looks also quite impressive, so I'm stuck between the two. I guess it's too early to expect a comparison between the HD-330 and the HD-681 Evo?

Also, are the pads on the Evo thicker than on the original HD-681?

I think slightly thicker, the material is also more comfy too.

HD-330 with DT770 pads must be god like because I have the DT770 Pro and its pads are perfect

I think the difference between the old 681 and new 681 are small enough you should get the old 681 with AKG 240 velours.

Mar 29, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #628 of 1,352
Superlux specifically states however that the new 681 evo has reduced treble from the factory. Why go backwards and risk it if it will cost nearly the same in the end ( with AKG pads ) is my thinking.

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #629 of 1,352
Quote:
Superlux specifically states however that the new 681 evo has reduced treble from the factory. Why go backwards and risk it if it will cost nearly the same in the end ( with AKG pads ) is my thinking.

The third generation 681's (maroon red) actually have toned down the treble a lot since the original 681 (bright red). At least according to audiohipster. But maybe more so with the new 681.

Mar 30, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #630 of 1,352
 I keep forgetting about all the varying colors/variations and stuff.  Thanks for the reminder.  Hard to keep track of all this sometimes
bigsmile_face.gif

Nice to see some improvement on the pads that's half the battle with any phones right there. Anyone know how they compare to the Shure or Creative Soundblaster pads ( softness )?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back