Suitable amp for Denon ah-d7000?
May 14, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #16 of 53
having owned many SS amps for the D7000 The best headphone amp and way better than the Asgard was the Matrix. Same price shipped but the Matrix is leagues better. read the Matrix thread and there are comparisons of both plus the Matrix plays any headphone.

May 14, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #18 of 53
I love the E9 with my D7000's, maybe a lot has to do with the MSII+ dac I have with the rig, but for $130 it might be your best choice until you really figure out what you want to do. With the D7000's, an amp IMO is not as important as a quality dac. The D7000's don't need much pwer at all. I never tried the M stage but I may upgrade to it in the future. The M stage may also be a good idea since its another great bang for you buck amp. Can't go wrong with either the M stage or E9, plus they seem to hold their value if you decide to go another route.

May 16, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #19 of 53

Quote:
Yes, I am really interested in the HA-160, but is the difference between the HA-160 and HA-160D worth the price difference?

The 160D version from what i know its an improved version of the 160, and if you need a Dac/Preamp it would be a steal for around 1k. 

for $400 bucks more, the price is worth. 

Imo, the 160 and the 160D are solid performers. You cant go wrong with them. 

May 16, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #20 of 53

Quote:
The 160D version from what i know its an improved version of the 160, and if you need a Dac/Preamp it would be a steal for around 1k. 

for $400 bucks more, the price is worth. 

Imo, the 160 and the 160D are solid performers. You cant go wrong with them. 

I sure hope so, I sold my HA-160 and ordered the DAC version.

FYI, the DAC version has price increased to $1250 now.

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #22 of 53
I tried some SS Amps like the Nuforce Icon HDP and M-stage. Also tried the Music Hall 25.3 (sounded really bad with the Denons, took all the bass out)... I have a Peachtree Audio decco2 right now and it makes the Denon D7000s sing... much better than the SS amps I tried (the peachtree is a hybrid amp)

Nov 19, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #23 of 53
I'm also on the quest to find this amp.  What I've realized is why I like the Denons and I'm looking for an amp that can do these things:

1) Dynamic
2) Strong impact/bass
3) Improve soundstage
4) Slighty bright highs
5) Yeah I like the V-shaped sound, I like the D7K's cuz they're the King of FUN!!! So a "fun" amp?
6) I don't like being 5 rows back at the concert.  I like being in the 1st row fist pumpin :p

I listen to mainly rock and trance.  My budget is $250.  Suggestions?

Nov 19, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #24 of 53
for what you are saying you want it seems like a tube amp would suit your ears best... you might want to look into the little dot amps they should be in your price range, the peachtree is awesome too but about 3 times as much as you want to spend.. Also if you are down to save your money I hear great things about the Woo Audio tube amps. 

Nov 19, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #25 of 53
I thought tube amps in general were on the warm and mellow side of things.  This wouldn't really fit the description of what I'm looking for.  But I could be wrong since i have very limited exposure to tube amps.

Quote:
for what you are saying you want it seems like a tube amp would suit your ears best... you might want to look into the little dot amps they should be in your price range, the peachtree is awesome too but about 3 times as much as you want to spend.. Also if you are down to save your money I hear great things about the Woo Audio tube amps. 

Nov 19, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #26 of 53

Quote:
I thought tube amps in general were on the warm and mellow side of things.  This wouldn't really fit the description of what I'm looking for.  But I could be wrong since i have very limited exposure to tube amps.

Tube amps do not have to be warm and mellow. The choice of tubes can greatly influence the sound you get. I can change my sound to make it sound less warm by using different tubes. The beauty of tube amps is you can tailor the sound to what you prefer.

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #29 of 53
I purchased 2 Woo amps over the holidays, finally settled on the WA6SE... awesome awesome combination with the D7000s. The great thing about these amps is that you can make them sound as analytical or warm as you want with tube rolling, its really like have a couple amps in one (but its good to note that some tubes cost as much as some amps haha..). I also had the WA6 that also paired very well with the D7000s.

May 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #30 of 53
I recently acquired the Burson HA-160D and the Denon Ah-D7000s.  What I love about this combo is that the Denons will actually sound quite detailed and full even when played quietly with  (always the sign of a good pairing).  I e-mailed back and forth with Mark Lawton of Lawton audio (who has extensive experience with the Denons), and he confirmed my suspicions that Solid State amps work much better with the Denons in general than Tube amps (the Woo audio tube amps being a possible exception):

"Re: amps.  We always recommend solid state amps for Denon, tubes can have issues with 25ohm load.  I like the Rudistor brand of amps from Italy he does best solid state IMO."

-Mark

In my own (admittedly rather limited) experience, if you're dealing with low-end headphones, solid state amps will pair better.  Tube amps generally work better for high impedance and/or electrostatic headphones.  Hope that's helpful to others as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back