Suggestions & Help Please - ATH W5000 / ATH AD2000 / Senn HD800 / Grado PS1000
Aug 23, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #16 of 34
Out of the ones you are asking for opinions on, the best for electronic (due to speed) are the HD800 and AD2000, and out of those two, for your requirements I'd go with AD2000. Easy to drive and less picky about amplification than HD800. The bass on both these can be described as "fast and accurate" but not prominent. For more prominent bass, the Ultrasone Pro900s are favourites for electronic. Also note I'm an Audio-Technica fanboy so my opinion is biased, and when seeking advice remember that everyone has different ears!

Quote:
OK, so just by reading the topic subject line, many of you are thinking that I have no clue what I'm looking for. And you're right, I kinda don't, so hoping some of you can help.

What I want is a solid pair of headphones that I can use as monitors mostly and also for casual listening. Yes, I also have 3 other pairs of actual reference monitors, so this won't be my main listening device, just something to use with relatively precise sound while I'm working on music. Most of the music I'll be working on will be electronica - downtempo, some ambient dnb, + house.

A little coloration on the headphones is not a problem -  I can always fine tune via my other speakers. What I AM looking for is, of course, quality sound and comfort. I also realize that I'll have to buy a separate amp for the headphones, which I will do as well.

So, I suppose my main questions are - is worth it for me to save up a bit longer and invest in HD800 or PS1000? or would the ATH W5000 or AD2000 suffice? Open or closed?

Unfortunately, where I live my opportunity to actually go and listen to any of these headsets is close to none. Some the places that I called had no clue what I was talking about. I have had change to listen to my friend's WD1000 and they sound great, but I know there are, of course, better headphones out there.

Any suggestions or reviews would be lovely.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #17 of 34
thanks guys. i'll do a little homework on headphone amps as well. i've done almost none so far, but woo audio seems to be a favored by quite a few. how are the T1 and ad2000's as far as comfort?

i've taken a look at the 900's as well, but I hear they are a tad bass heavy. and while looks aren't the most important factor in my decision making process, the 900's just remind me of typical DJ headphones, which for some reason annoys me. i'll give them some more thought though. 

thank you!

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #18 of 34
I think it does largely depend on the genre of music you do listen to. The HD800s didn't do it for me since i listen alot to rock, alternative, indie and acoustic. The AD2000s on the other hand, are everything i've ever wanted in a pair of open headphones for the type of music i listen to.

And i would say they are as comfy as the HD800s (to me at least) and don't give me the weird "flattened" hair after a 2hr listening session. The 3D wings design on the ATs are superior to me at least.

I can't say for the PS1000s at all since i haven't listened to them before and the somewhat lengthy audition i've had with the W5000s just didn't do it for me with rock as well. More suited to ambience IMHO.

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #19 of 34
I vote for the Sony SA5000's, Simply the best open dynamic cans for electronica that i've heard. I AB both them and the HD800's of the same amp, SPL Auditor, and I found the treble response more clean and smoother than the HD800's and the soundstage imaging more accurate. The HD800's lateral staging is of course wider but i also found it bigger than i like in some tracks, And the bass is indeed superior with more extention and detail. But if you consider the price differnce the the Sony's are an amazing value for the money, especially for various electronic music.

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #20 of 34
I would second Clownzor's comments exactly.  I've owned all these cans at various times.  I still own my HD800 and AD2000 and use them more than all my other cans combined, especially for the type of music the OP describes.  The AD2000 excels at electronic music in my opinion, largely due to it's speed and agility.  It's also a very comfortable headphone - and I'm bald - so that's saying a lot.  The demands that the AD2000 places on an amp are VERY modest, so most any affordable solid state amp should do just fine.  They are VERY sensitive phones, so I've found they don't pair very well with something like my EarMax Pro - an OTL amp.  Just my two cents.

Quote:
Out of the ones you are asking for opinions on, the best for electronic (due to speed) are the HD800 and AD2000, and out of those two, for your requirements I'd go with AD2000. Easy to drive and less picky about amplification than HD800. The bass on both these can be described as "fast and accurate" but not prominent. For more prominent bass, the Ultrasone Pro900s are favourites for electronic. Also note I'm an Audio-Technica fanboy so my opinion is biased, and when seeking advice remember that everyone has different ears!

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:
Since we've managed to wander into the topic of Denon's are the AH-D7000's worth considering? Not that I need to add yet another pair of headphones to think about, but no harm asking I suppose.

Quote:
i've taken a look at the 900's as well, but I hear they are a tad bass heavy. and while looks aren't the most important factor in my decision making process, the 900's just remind me of typical DJ headphones, which for some reason annoys me. i'll give them some more thought though. 

I would avoid both Ultrasone and Denon if you're looking to monitoring/mastering tracks, they both have artificial bass, even the high end models that will leave you outputting music without any decent bass. You want a neutral phone like a SA5000 or DT880 to really hear the difference between sub bass and mid bass. I predominantly listen to electronica with a lot of dubstep on my DT880s which aren't known for there bass, but it's there when the music calls for it... with the likes of Ultrasone and Denon it's always there. This always being there is great for a fun listen but not at all for professional purposes.

As far as amps go, if you go with a T1, DT880/600 or other 600Ohm phone I would suggest an OTL tube amp. AD2000, SA5000 and the likes a discrete solid-state would suffice.

Quote:
I vote for the Sony SA5000's, Simply the best open dynamic cans for electronica that i've heard. I AB both them and the HD800's of the same amp, SPL Auditor, and I found the treble response more clean and smoother than the HD800's and the soundstage imaging more accurate. The HD800's lateral staging is of course wider but i also found it bigger than i like in some tracks, And the bass is indeed superior with more extention and detail. But if you consider the price differnce the the Sony's are an amazing value for the money, especially for various electronic music.

I've been saying the same thing about the SA5000s compared to the HD800, but no one wants to know. One because it's Sony vs Sennheiser, another because of the price tag.

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #22 of 34
ATH-AD2000 for sure.  The W5000's are just too thin for my tastes.  I auditioned these a while ago and personally did not prefer either.

Why not go LCD-2?  They are great for general listening, the frequency response is really flat, and they are much less than the PS1000.

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #24 of 34
I did actually take a peek at the SA5000, just that I've had bad experience with that Sony in general. Not that I purchased any hi-end stuff from them, but the low-end V6 headphones that many people raved about, were less than impressive, and as far as DJing is concerned I had 3 of the v700's, and while they were better than most dj headphones at the time, they're still garbage IMO - V6 and V700's all broke in less than a year... Switched to Sennheisers and never looked back (had them for years, and they're still in great condition)...  so anyway, I'm a little hesitant about picking up another pair of Sony's unless I get a chance to personally sample them.

BUT, they are cheap (ish) .... maybe I'll pick up the AD2k and SA5k and do an A/B test.... ???
How good are the resale value on these if they're practically new? I don't mind spending a little money just to try out both, just that I would hate to go on ebay 3 weeks after purchase and get only 50% of what I paid....

Guess it's time for me to do some research on amps.

Aug 23, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:
BUT, they are cheap (ish) .... maybe I'll pick up the AD2k and SA5k and do an A/B test.... ???
How good are the resale value on these if they're practically new? I don't mind spending a little money just to try out both, just that I would hate to go on ebay 3 weeks after purchase and get only 50% of what I paid....

Guess it's time for me to do some research on amps.

From what I've read they're similar, I haven't heard the AD2k but I do love the speed and resolution of the Sony SA's, both 3k and 5k. The resale value on the SA's aren't great, as it's a Sony they get little respect with all the favorable reviews being a few years old now. You could always buy used, that way you're not loosing much if any money when you decide to sell. Construction wise the 5k are much better than the 3k, all metal construction with leather earpads, there is a problem with the wire at the Y-section, it often splits.

AD2k with a non-OTL amp like the Woo Audio 6 or solid-state Auditor/PS Audio GCHA would be a solid performer, it might even be my next setup.

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #26 of 34

Quote:
Quote:

You win, very convincing!

biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #27 of 34

Quote:
ATH-AD2000 for sure.  The W5000's are just too thin for my tastes.  I auditioned these a while ago and personally did not prefer either.

Why not go LCD-2?  They are great for general listening, the frequency response is really flat, and they are much less than the PS1000.

I actually did consider these. Would you recommend them for electronica? I'm starting to lean towards the AD2000 atm. 

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #29 of 34

Quote:
See this thread for a comprehensive review of several high-end headphones, including LCD-2, AD2000 and HD800:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/548875/review-audeze-lcd-2-hifiman-he-6-stax-sr-507-stax-oii-mki-bhse-et-al

For electronic (particularly faster genres) the AD2000 gets a lot of praise.

thanks. i'll read that later tonight. looks like i might be leaning towards the AD2000 and a half decent amp to power it properly. will see how those sound, and if those don't work, i'll just sell, save up a tad and get the 800's.

Aug 25, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #30 of 34

Quote:
thanks. i'll read that later tonight. looks like i might be leaning towards the AD2000 and a half decent amp to power it properly. will see how those sound, and if those don't work, i'll just sell, save up a tad and get the 800's.

If you get the AD2000, don't get a tube amp. Don't even bother with a Woo unless it's a high end Woo. I can tell you that I had the Woo Audio 6SE and it just sounded really unbalanced. Stick with a neutral solid state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back