Suggestions & Help Please - ATH W5000 / ATH AD2000 / Senn HD800 / Grado PS1000
Aug 22, 2011 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

HawaiiR

100+ Head-Fier
OK, so just by reading the topic subject line, many of you are thinking that I have no clue what I'm looking for. And you're right, I kinda don't, so hoping some of you can help.

What I want is a solid pair of headphones that I can use as monitors mostly and also for casual listening. Yes, I also have 3 other pairs of actual reference monitors, so this won't be my main listening device, just something to use with relatively precise sound while I'm working on music. Most of the music I'll be working on will be electronica - downtempo, some ambient dnb, + house.

A little coloration on the headphones is not a problem -  I can always fine tune via my other speakers. What I AM looking for is, of course, quality sound and comfort. I also realize that I'll have to buy a separate amp for the headphones, which I will do as well.

So, I suppose my main questions are - is worth it for me to save up a bit longer and invest in HD800 or PS1000? or would the ATH W5000 or AD2000 suffice? Open or closed?

Unfortunately, where I live my opportunity to actually go and listen to any of these headsets is close to none. Some the places that I called had no clue what I was talking about. I have had change to listen to my friend's WD1000 and they sound great, but I know there are, of course, better headphones out there.

Any suggestions or reviews would be lovely.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 22, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 34
Heya,

Take the HD800's off the list based on your music type. I say that simply because they bloat the sound stage and are really bright in the highs. Not really great for electronica, but, that's just my opinion of course.

For your genres, I'd go closed. The bass will be fuller and richer and you will likely like it more. I'd get the Denon. Couple with an Asgard or Matirx M-Stage. Good to go.

Very best,

Aug 22, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 34

Quote:
Heya,

Take the HD800's off the list based on your music type. I say that simply because they bloat the sound stage and are really bright in the highs. Not really great for electronica, but, that's just my opinion of course.

Strongly disagree. Bass quality, speed and soundstage make them terrific cans for electronica. In my opinion. The AD2000s are also top-shelf cans for speed and bass def but not the all-rounders that the 800s are. The W5000s are the odd cans out here, I think.

o

Aug 22, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 34
OP.

Just to tell you, if you have to save up for a headphone that probably means you don't have a system to support them.

I say you need close to a $1000-2000 system to run a Flagship correctly. I barely meet the requirements with my receiver as it is.

So it would be best to buy a system and a headphone that would be good instead of buying just a headphone and run it wrong.

If you don't support a $1000 headphone correctly, then a $100 will sound better.

Let's say you have $1000 to spend (fair price for a flagship)

The argument at the moment is if a bass heavy can is good fro electronic music.

To me, if you play a bass heavy music through a bassheavy can, it just gets too much bass.

I would say get a balanced can to play off of and that would give you a great hold on the music rather then letting it go out of control.

Beyer and Denon are top picks for electronic music and they are more balanced then let's say Ultrasone that does heavy bass.

Denon AHD2000 is well liked and runs without a amp very well.

The Beyer T70P looks promising and if a true beyer, could give a good bass without overkill. A little higher, but still good without a amp.

I enjoy the Schiit series of amp and DAC.

But a cheaper solution that would suit for a long time would be a simple FiiO E7+E9 combo.

I would go this:

T70P with the FiiO combo and look at new sources. If you're running from a Ipod or a bad source like a table and so on, a good upgrade can do wonders.

Look for deal and prices and good luck!

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 34

Quote:

So, I suppose my main questions are - worth it for me to save up a bit longer and invest in HD800 or PS1000? or would the ATH W5000 or AD2000 suffice? Open or closed?

Herein lies the problem.  You will get swamped by Headfiers giving you their individual preferences, some from actual experience and others because they can simply read. However, because it is about different flavors and preference is subjective, you will be no better off than if you simply run a popularity contest (poll).  My advice would be to not jump in at the flagship level, even though it would be unlikely that you will end up with a sound you don't like, you still could be disappointed based on sound vs money invested.  I would jump in at the AD2000 level, where you will get a very solid performing headphone and if you did decide down the track to "upgrade" then selling will result in less money lost.  Having said that, at flagship level I would go with the Beyer T1, or even ED8 (less amp investment issues) but i am biased.

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 34
People are getting confused; an AD2000 is an Audio Technica, not a Denon D2000. The only time I would suggest a Denon is if you're listening to poorly recorded music without an amp, it's bloated and lacks detail. The AD2000 is said to be fast, airy and detailed, similar to a Sony SA5000 which I think is somewhat similar to an HD800. ATH W5000 I haven't heard but they're closed, I believe you get the best bang for your buck in an open phone. Grado PS1000 not what you're looking for.

AD2000, possibly HD800 or SA5000, T1, DT880 are all good choices for a neutral responce, given that they are sufficiently powered.

Aug 22, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #7 of 34
Aug 22, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 34

Quote:
OP.

I say you need close to a $1000-2000 system to run a Flagship correctly. I barely meet the requirements with my receiver as it is.

If you don't support a $1000 headphone correctly, then a $100 will sound better.

Heya,

This is not true for some high-end (flagship) planar magnetics. You don't need a 2k system to fuel a 1k headphone. And a $100 headphone will not sound better than a $1,000 headphone just because your dac/amp isn't top-shelf too. Not even at all.

Very best,

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #10 of 34

Quote:
MalVeauX and BotByte 

No we're just arguing.

OP, read about the PS1000

Get the Gs1000i

It's the PS1000 without the unneeded frequency response and the aluminum cups.

I've noticed no SQ difference and Grado are made to be high efficient and low impendance for the best SQ

A amp/DAC later would help them too.

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #11 of 34
No we're just arguing.

OP, read about the PS1000

Get the Gs1000i

It's the PS1000 without the unneeded frequency response and the aluminum cups.

I've noticed no SQ difference and Grado are made to be high efficient and low impendance for the best SQ

A amp/DAC later would help them too.

Actually you're still confused. The OP mention the AD2000, not the AH-D2000. This has nothing to do with you're argument. At least you and malveaux can agree you're both confused?

-Daniel

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #12 of 34
gentlemen, thank you all very much for your suggestions. this is all great info. still not clear on what pair I should pick up, but at least now I can take a few off the list. maybe i'll do some more research on open vs closed for electronica. 

let me ask you guys a few more questions - how comfortable are the headphones that each of you recommended. the w1000's that i tried before were very easy to wear for extended periods. hoping to find ones that are comparable. 

also, @BotByte - you're right, I don't have a proper amp for casual listening. i'll be using the headphones primarily for studio production, and currently i'm running everything through my m-audio firewire external sound card. you're correct, I need to look into some decent headphone amps. your suggestion on the schiit tube amps looks like a viable option for me. any other suggestions along that line? for now, I think at $300 - $400 price point is what I'd like to spend. is combining one of these with my m-audio card overkill? i'm assuming it'll just enhance and warm the sound... 

newbie questions, i know...

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #13 of 34

Quote:
Actually you're still confused. The OP mention the AD2000, not the AH-D2000. This has nothing to do with you're argument. At least you and malveaux can agree you're both confused?

-Daniel

Since we've managed to wander into the topic of Denon's are the AH-D7000's worth considering? Not that I need to add yet another pair of headphones to think about, but no harm asking I suppose.

Also, I'll take a look at the Grado GS1000's as well. I just REALLY wish I could find a place here to sample a few of these side by side. 

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #14 of 34

Quote:
gentlemen, thank you all very much for your suggestions. this is all great info. still not clear on what pair I should pick up, but at least now I can take a few off the list. maybe i'll do some more research on open vs closed for electronica. 

let me ask you guys a few more questions - how comfortable are the headphones that each of you recommended. the w1000's that i tried before were very easy to wear for extended periods. hoping to find ones that are comparable. 

also, @BotByte - you're right, I don't have a proper amp for casual listening. i'll be using the headphones primarily for studio production, and currently i'm running everything through my m-audio firewire external sound card. you're correct, I need to look into some decent headphone amps. your suggestion on the schiit tube amps looks like a viable option for me. any other suggestions along that line? for now, I think at $300 - $400 price point is what I'd like to spend. is combining one of these with my m-audio card overkill? i'm assuming it'll just enhance and warm the sound... 

newbie questions, i know...

well I think for headphone alone the audio technica ad2k is ur best bet, it runs all right without amp. Now if you are willing to spent 300-400 dollars I think the WA3 would be very nice to have and paired with Beyer T1 would be the best combo for ur reference needs. 

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #15 of 34
Have you looked into the Pro 900s. They are known as simply the best 'phones for electronica according to most head-fiers by a landslide. Sure the D7000 and XB series get their mentions, but the 900 seems to win over 99% of the electronica fans on this site. I agree that my AD2Ks are nice for the genre as well, but the 900s bass is in a whole other stratosphere honestly. And the AT's simply don't have the needed impact to the bass, frankly.

-Daniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back