suggestions for winter jacket,furnace warmth
Oct 16, 2011 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
so far i have tried the patagonia r4 with rainshadow shell and the arcteryx fission sv. not even close to warm enough for me! i am doing mild activity mostly walking and lifting.i usually do not see less than -10f. i find this very strange because people have stated they used the above jackets as an only layer(besides shirt) to minus 50f! are those jackets warm enough and the problem is me or can i find a much warmer one?

thanks

Oct 16, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 48
When I lived in the Middle of Nowhere, central Oregon, I had a down parka that worked. Can't remember the name, but it held up when it was -14° F on several occasions.

If I had to live in that again, I'd probably pick up another heavy down parka from REI.

Either that or I'd go for military surplus. The heaviest jacket I've seen is the one my father was issued while stationed in Korea on the DMZ. Where the officer's club only had one old Johnny Cash record they played every night.

Anyway, it was bitterly cold there and he got by with a fur-lined heavy canvas down jacket. It's still around and weighs a ton. Though not much use for it down here in Yuma, which is officially the hottest place in the United States. Maybe not activewear, but maybe they have newer surplus jackets for extreme cold.

Oct 16, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #3 of 48
My idea is to always wear layers of clothing instead of a single winter jacket. Gives you the flexibility of easily removing one layer. Get a light fleece or something like that and put it under a jacket, you will be better off than with a heavy jacket. WIth layered clothing you can also have multiple options - not warm enough? get a better fleece to go under the jacket.

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 48
Snugpak softie. packs quite small and then can be added if you get to cold. But as said layered system of clothing is the best option. More so if your active then you can remove/add.

Oct 16, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 48
Canada Goose

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #6 of 48
thanks guys. i forgot to mention again that i am a vegan lol. for years i have been looking for a single jacket that goes from +40f to -20f. apparently it is impossible so i should stop looking already. you all are correct. layering is what anyone that does serious outdoor activities uses. i just don't really like it because i am sort of lazy in that respect. i mean i am not lazy at all. i am working my butt off on a farm while it is freezing. i really don't know why i find the layering a hassle. if it is really cold i can wear a base layer,flannel,the r4 and the rain shadow. that should be what they state is good to -50f in antarctica. the r4 by itself is really only good to the teens. however it can go from +40f to the teens. that is probably already the most versatile piece there is. i was really disappointed with the fission sv.. that is obviously made for aerobic activity. given that, i am sure it is good to -20f. in fact i know because i have used it for that. slowly walking around that is also only good into the teens.

on the other hand i could take the suggestions to stop looking at technical wear. i'd just need to find something that is synthetic. i know there is stuff at burlington coat factory but after what they pulled with animal rights i don't really want to shop there. anyways i know they are completely different, but a $40 jacket vs. a $700 one? well different uses at least. i am sure the $40 one is warmer with mild activity. the problem is it also probably soaks through in an ice storm. i am thinking of looking at carhartt. the utility workers all use it so maybe that is just the ticket for me. i am doing similar work.

edit: carhartt does not have anything that seems really warm,strange. layering:best answer. even though i dread it. so will do this year instead of freeze.
what would you guys recommend i add above/below the r4 and rain shadow? it needs to be breathable.

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #7 of 48
Have you tried putting a jacket over the fleece? That makes all the difference for me. I wouldn't use a bulky down jacket for outdoor work, but it's what I wear over my clothes going to work, as when I get inside, I don't want to boil and have to shed layers.

Oct 16, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #9 of 48
I have worked outside in Canadian winters since 1977.

It goes like this up here for me:

-The first layer should be of a formfitting design and made of fabrics that breathe and keep you dry.
Polypropylene or knitted silk are popular choices. Cotton is definitely not recommended.

-The second layer serves to keep you warm. Polar fleece or genuine pile wool (like Grandpa’s old sweater) are recommended.
(a workmans vest was always the most important component to ward off the cold,your body will always extract heat from other areas [i.e.hands/feet/head] to keep your heart warm first,so keep that chest insulated!)

-The third or outer layer should offer protection from wind, snow and rain.
Wind-resistant and water-repellent materials, like Gore-tex, are best suited for this purpose.

Of course,also protect your extremeties,again with synthetics/genuine wool and remember to wear a cap,toque or headband to keep the 40% heat loss from your head and neck areas controlled.

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 48
i always wear the ploy shirt and r4. i am told by others as well, wear that gortex shell! i can't see how that makes all the difference but i am going to try it this year. i am tired of freezing. the fission sv with only a poly shirt is good to the low teens unless you are moving. those that sat it goes by itself to sub-arctic temps really have different results with it.

btw 5aces "take off to the great white north, it's a beauty way to go" lol. oh, thanks for the info too
smile.gif

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #11 of 48
Something like the Wiggy's Alaska Range Parka, with multiple liner options will work(comes in 6 layers for down to -10F and 12 layers for Arctic use).  Use Under Armor form fitting Cold Gear (tops & bottoms) as your base layer and you are all set.

http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=185

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #12 of 48
Oct 16, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #14 of 48

Quote:
Its been awhile since I've needed a winter coat but when I did need one, living in NJ & MI I found Lands End always had well made stuff at reasonable prices.I will also suggest that no matter what you get do a Gore Tex shell. The added cost is well worth the waterproofing.

http://www.landsend.com/?OVMTC=Exact&site=&creative=3269255582&OVKEY=lands%20end.&url_id=36493682&cm_mmc=36493682

+1 on the Gore-Tex to stay dry.  The breathability is the clincher on this material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back