Suggestions for headphones for my pianist girlfriend?
Jan 27, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #17 of 28
I have a digital piano (although I am nowhere near professional) and use my Senn HD555's with it.  They sound fantastic and are very comfortable, even playing for long periods.  Mine are about 5 years old and have developed a small crack on the left side, but it has not affected anything and I expect many more years of use.

I have also tried using Grado's, AT-FC700's, and Westone IEM's, but none of them sound as good or are as comfortable as the Sennheisers. 

This probably doesn't fit her requirements, but just my 2 cents.

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #19 of 28
Hmmm...I am a Senn 600/650 and AKG 701 lover for piano, chamber music, acoustic jazz, folk etc. and I am a woman so looks as well as comfortable fit matter to me as well. If I were going to get a pair of phones that sounded good without an amp and could fit around my neck, I would go for the Senn 598 which I just bought on a whim. I LOVE their looks (light yellow with burl wood "highlights" ie plastic) and the fit is very comfy for the smaller female head. I found myself wearing them around my neck for a while last week while doing some chore and I could definitely still hear them clearly! So maybe these are an option for your GF? I got mine on sale at J&R for $170 shipped.

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #21 of 28
ESW-9 - Perfect, forgot about them
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #22 of 28
I play a yamaha clavinova clp-340 and have used it with my hd650s, k702, and fostex t50rp.  I prefer the 702 by a small margin over the 650. Though cheap, there is far too much reverberation in the t50rp without serious modding, which it doesn't sound like your girlfriend is willing to undertake.  I would also suggest an open phone over a closed or iem for comfort, especially as a professional musician she will likely be wearing them for long periods of time and not exactly sitting still.  Both the 702 and 650 are great headphones, but i think the 702 is unmatched for solo piano both for listening and practicing.  just my 2 cents...

Jan 30, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #23 of 28

Quote:
Sennheiser HD428/448 (latter for better looks). Fits most of your criteria, plus they're not really expensive.

actually yea, these were my first "Hi-Fi" cans and they were wonderful for piano.

Jan 30, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #24 of 28

Quote:
With all due respect, I think many suggestions are forgetting that these are for practicing the piano, not listening to the piano.  She probably isn't going to do any serious listening or tinkering with interpretations, timbres, articulation, etc. on the digital piano anyway, so sound quality shouldn't be too important.  I couldn't imagine playing piano while wearing anything as bulky (or heavy, even though these aren't particularly heavy) as the HD 580/600, K501/601/701-2, etc.  Someone else's mileage may vary, but personally I would be displeased.

Any reason not to use IEMs, assuming you can find the right tips?  If she frequently wears headphones around the neck, maybe supraaural sets just aren't working for her.

I dunno, I play guitar with circumaurals, I just don't headbang with them. Although cables, reagrdless of the can size, will get in the way of doing the "Mozart trick."

Jan 30, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #25 of 28
Maybe because she doesn't want the headphones to mess up her hair? Women are picky like that. :)

I like to wear my Westone 3 IEMs when practicing piano. IEMs are nice because you barely notice they're on. Also, try the Comply foam tips. Very comfortable fit.

Feb 2, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #26 of 28
Wow. Thanks so much for all the great suggestions! There are so many I never would have thought of.
I think I have it narrowed down to:

closed and little:

Audio Technica ESW-9 (prettiest)

AKG Q460 (lightest)

senn HD 25-1 II (proven)

open and big:

AKG K601 (like wearing a couch.)
senn HD555 (cheapest)

Just to answer a few questions. 
She's not worried about her hair. I will ask about in ear monitors. She might love them. Are there some that musicians here would recommend?
The looks thing is more for me. When you give someone a gift, you want there to be some ceremony. Wood, chrome, leather, shiny black, retro geometry. All good things. 

BTW, the Beyer DT48s are hilarious. They are like an erector set. The home depo bolts! Awesome. I'm just happy things like that still exists.

Thanks so much guys. I'll let you know what I land on. 

Feb 2, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #27 of 28
The HD25-1 II are great in terms of sound isolation, but I find the clamping force a bit too much in terms of comfort, especially if I have to wear them for very long sessions. As a pianist myself, I'd feel much more comfortable with my AKG K240S, they are quite light and cost about the same as the HD555. :wink:

Feb 2, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #28 of 28
Looks, custom IEM in her fave colour. Also, these are less obtrusive; I think doing the Mozart trick - hitting a note in the middle with the nose while both hands are on opposite ends - would be easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back