Suggestions for headphones for my pianist girlfriend?
Jan 26, 2011 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

EricZero

New Head-Fier
Just registered to ask this question, but have been lurking a long time.

My girlfriend is a professional classical pianist, and needs new headphones to practice with her digital piano at night. (New York apartment) 

I have Shure 840s and have had Grado SR80s (stolen), but wanted to ask the Head-fi community for suggestions. Her requirements are different from mine, so I want some advice. 
They need to be:
1. very comfy. (probably more important than sound)
2. sound nice, and neutral, without fatiguing. 
3. very light weight
4. smallish or swiveling cups, maybe supra-aural. The reason for this is that she often likes to wear headphones around her neck and crank the volume to max, rather than wear them as intended, so they need to fit between her chest and chin. This way they are like tiny very near field monitors. So low impedance is important too, as she won't be willing to screw around with a headphone amp.
5. Since they will be a gift, I'd like them to be pretty.

I'm currently considering Alessandro MS-1s, Beyer DT880, or after reading the positive reviews, believe it or not, the SkullCandy Aeros.

Are there cans that I'm not aware of that fit most of these criteria? As a baseline: We both hate the feel of my Shures, and I have painful memories of the Grados. I'm willing to endure physical pain for good sound, but I can't subject her to it.

I'll be extremely grateful for any suggestions you guys can give. 

Thanks!

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #2 of 28
I personally really like my Klipsch Image ONEs.  They are comfortable and not fatiguing, can easily listen to them for hours on end.  They are fairly neutral with a tendency to emphasize bass a bit, but it seems to be very genre specific and it is not an issue on many of the classical recordings I listen to.

They are also supra-aural with swiveling cups, and fit around the neck quite comfortably.  I know they aren't necessarily hugely popular (yet?) but I greatly enjoy them.

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #3 of 28

Quote:

4. smallish or swiveling cups, maybe supra-aural. The reason for this is that she often likes to wear headphones around her neck and crank the volume to max, rather than wear them as intended, so they need to fit between her chest and chin. This way they are like tiny very near field monitors. So low impedance is important too, as she won't be willing to screw around with a headphone amp.

Im not sure about this, most of the hp's which are great for piano playing have big cups. 
What about iem's? 

Or maybe another guy here can suggest something different. 

Jan 26, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #4 of 28
I know the neck thing is weird, but it's what she likes. If you think audiophiles are picky, professional musicians are 10 times worse. It's possible that she's just never had really comfortable headphones though. Also, for a classical musician, anything that plugs in is just expected to suck, so they often don't bother to seek out quality. (if it's not a 9' Steinway it's crap.) 

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 28

Have you considered the Sennheiser HD25-1 II?

I doubt many would say they are comfy on the ears but they would fit nicely around the neck and were originally designed for studio monitor use. Very efficient and largely neutral, though a bit boomy in the bass.

They are extremely durable. Pretty? Nah, but if she's an athlete there is an Adidas Original version that has a nice old school blue color to the pads and cord. I have this model actually.

Haven't tried it on my Yamaha synthesizer but I suspect it would serve well.

Hope this helps! Good luck! 

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #7 of 28
If comfort and light weight are her top priorities Sennheiser HD-201 or HD-448 should do the trick (both weight around 170g without cable). Both have smallish cups, but are still over-ear design.

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 28
Hd 25-1 II - Could be a bit tight on her head though, they do clamp...But they sound fantastic, and are built like a tank
redface.gif
I would recommend the TMA-1s but I reckon they are too dark.

Would she prefer open or closed?

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #9 of 28
may I throw in the fostex T50rp? sound VERY VERY good with the piano a little bulky but the band is small enough and they don't clamp that hard.

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #10 of 28
If she won't need it to play anything with pounding mids and bass, an unamped HD580 or HD600 might do the trick. The oval cups make them narrow enough to fit between the jaw and shoulder area for more people (vs large round circumaurals), they're comfy and have good, wide soundstage when worn. Plus, since she won't be using an amp and a DAC, safe to say the K701 will just be brutally transparent. K601 is a possible alternative though.

And what exactly does she consider that "looks nice?" I like the looks of the HD580J, because it's my fave color of that series* (not too fond of the marble blue on the HD600 though I can't say I actually "hate" it); the K701 over the K702 despite my normal preference for darker tones, but I prefer the K601 best; and the DT770PRO over the humongous-looking DT880/990; and of course the Ed 8 over pretty much anything on the Ultrasone line-up, even the Ed10. I'm sure a lot of people don't see these the same way and looks are even more subjective than sound. 

*Unless, correct me if that was wrong, and it's actually the same tone, except the original 580s are older and therefore have faded considerably?

Jan 27, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #11 of 28
I second the suggestion for the HD580/HD600's
Best piano I've ever heard.

I wouldn't go unamped though, there is a cheap amp uncle erik has suggested in the past, that migth suit this purpose. Let me see if I can find it....
(was about $100) 

If you can spring for it, I'd go with a dynalo, which are suppose to work nicely with HD580's IIRC
http://www.acoustic-fun.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=62

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #12 of 28
With all due respect, I think many suggestions are forgetting that these are for practicing the piano, not listening to the piano.  She probably isn't going to do any serious listening or tinkering with interpretations, timbres, articulation, etc. on the digital piano anyway, so sound quality shouldn't be too important.  I couldn't imagine playing piano while wearing anything as bulky (or heavy, even though these aren't particularly heavy) as the HD 580/600, K501/601/701-2, etc.  Someone else's mileage may vary, but personally I would be displeased.

Any reason not to use IEMs, assuming you can find the right tips?  If she frequently wears headphones around the neck, maybe supraaural sets just aren't working for her.

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:
With all due respect, I think many suggestions are forgetting that these are for practicing the piano, not listening to the piano.  She probably isn't going to do any serious listening or tinkering with interpretations, timbres, articulation, etc. on the digital piano anyway, so sound quality shouldn't be too important.  I couldn't imagine playing piano while wearing anything as bulky (or heavy, even though these aren't particularly heavy) as the HD 580/600, K501/601/701-2, etc.  Someone else's mileage may vary, but personally I would be displeased.

Any reason not to use IEMs, assuming you can find the right tips?  If she frequently wears headphones around the neck, maybe supraaural sets just aren't working for her.

You have a point. I wasn't paying too closely to his requested requirements.

rethinking the situation.. How about ATH-ESW9's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back