Suggestions for closed Headphones?
Aug 5, 2010 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Blizzard

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm hoping someone could give me advice on a closed headphone to use at the office. I currently use HD-800 at home and I have a pair of old HD-650 phones. I would use them at work, but they "spit" too much sound out. If I listen to them, my co-workers around the same table can even hear the lyrics of the song, and that's not good.

So I want to find a pair of good closed, around the ear headphones that are comfortable, sound good and don't disturb others. I currently have PX-200 phones, while they work fine, the sound quality isn't that great.

I have a Corda Aria Amp to use at work so I naturally want some phones that benefit from an amp. I used to have Philips SBC-HP1000 phones, which were quite good actually, but they fell on the floor and broke down.

So my priorities are:
1. Isolation, especially from the phones to outside.
2. Comfort
3. Sound quality
4. Price, about 200-300 dollars or euros

Thanks!

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 18

Quote:
Hi,

I'm hoping someone could give me advice on a closed headphone to use at the office. I currently use HD-800 at home and I have a pair of old HD-650 phones. I would use them at work, but they "spit" too much sound out. If I listen to them, my co-workers around the same table can even hear the lyrics of the song, and that's not good.

So I want to find a pair of good closed, around the ear headphones that are comfortable, sound good and don't disturb others. I currently have PX-200 phones, while they work fine, the sound quality isn't that great.

I have a Corda Aria Amp to use at work so I naturally want some phones that benefit from an amp. I used to have Philips SBC-HP1000 phones, which were quite good actually, but they fell on the floor and broke down.

So my priorities are:
1. Isolation, especially from the phones to outside.
2. Comfort
3. Sound quality
4. Price, about 200-300 dollars or euros

Thanks!

Try the GMP 8.35 D Monitor, great isolation and very compy. Sound quality can be determined by the pads, warm and lush more like the Senn, with other pads flat and accurate more like the AKG's, price fit in your range. 

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 18
Try also the FA-003s.  Really excellent wide soundstage for a closed shell phone, great detail, and very accurate.  Quite light and comfortable and excellent sound isolation.

Aug 5, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #4 of 18
In the price range and for isolation/comfort/balanced sound, I'd recommend you look into the DT770/600s. Just awesome and can be had brand new for less than $200 now (B&H Photo).

Aug 13, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #5 of 18

[size=1.7em] Denon AHD2000[/size]

Never used them, but for the price and from what people around here use, I think those are your best bet.  Check Amazon, it's like $270

Aug 13, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 18
I'm currently in love with my Audio Technica ATH-A700. they are extremely comfortable (I wore them 4 hours straight on plane ride with no discomfort) and isolate pretty well. The sound quality is superb, and they go for about $120 USD on amazon.com

Aug 14, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 18

Quote:

[size=1.7em] Denon AHD2000[/size]

Never used them, but for the price and from what people around here use, I think those are your best bet.  Check Amazon, it's like $270

Yeah I second the D2000's they will offer a degree of isolation to the point were if someone is talking to you their voice is drowned out and you have to pull them off and say "what", while at the same time I can here if the phone rings in my house.  For isolation to the outside they do ok as long as you don't listen at crazy levels like my friend does, if you are in a quiet room and someones within a few feet they could hear maybe some of the beats, if you have them at a medium-ish level, it really depends on how loud you like to listen.
For comfort they are great for me, soft ear pads and nice ball baring adjustable head band, I sometimes wear then for as long as 8 hours with breaks in between.
For sound quality IMO they are great for the price, (paid $250 with tax and shipping inc) they sound very open and clear and the highs have a nice crispness to them with out being over fatiguing and the lows extend quite far and have great punch without being too boomy and encroaching on the rest of the music, the mids how ever are a bit hidden with out an amp, I used my cowon S9 and then compared them with my HDP and the mids just came alive.
Of course with anything sound, try and listen to them first.

Aug 15, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 18
AKG K271/2, German Maestro GMP 8.300 D, Kenwood KH-K1000, BeyerDynamic DT770 600 ohm, DT880 NoXter modded closed back, DT150, Sony MDR-XB700.

Aug 24, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #9 of 18
Thanks to everyone for replies. Well everyone seems to have their own preferences. The Denon seem interesting and there would be option of 5000 or 7000 models. Is there a significant difference in sound quality?

Aug 24, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #10 of 18
There is a bigger difference in SQ between the D2000 to the D5000, than from the D5000 to the D7000. The D2000 is a great bang for the buck. But based on the fact you also own the HD800, I would step up to the D5000. Fantastic phone.
Also in the lower Price catagory the Beyer DT770/600ohm.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 24, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 18
his price point was 200-300 dollars though.  It's going to be hard to find D5000s for sub-$300

Quote:
There is a bigger difference in SQ between the D2000 to the D5000, than from the D5000 to the D7000. The D2000 is a great bang for the buck. But based on the fact you also own the HD800, I would step up to the D5000. Fantastic phone.
Also in the lower Price catagory the Beyer DT770/600ohm.

Aug 24, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #12 of 18
Denon d2000, ATH A700, or ATH M50 would be my suggestions. 

If you can do IEMs they have the best isolation, i'd say go with either the monster turbine copper or Gold depending on your genre preference.

Onecall.com has them both for around $200

Aug 24, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #13 of 18
The D2000s aren't really all that closed.  The little bass vent/port around the edge of the cup leaks a lot of sound.  I'd assume the D5000s and D7000s would have that problem too, but I don't know for sure.

Aug 24, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #14 of 18
Yeah I've heard that they leak a little so that might not be the best option.

I still say go IEM, you'll get the best sound isolation and they're ultra portable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back