suggestions for an open headphone with huge soundstage and much sub bass?
Apr 25, 2011 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

sofastreamer

Headphoneus Supremus
hi,

i already listened to

hd598
hd600
hd650
dt990pro
dt880pro

when it comes to soundstage, the hd598 had the best by far. very wide with good separation and good 3d imaging.

none of the others came close.

the hd650 had nice bass, but for me it is too much emphasized in the midbass region.

i do not like midbass humps, but i enjoy subwooferish deep or so called sub bass. that is something the hd598 really lack.

so i am still searching.

on the otherside i hate too agressive highs like the ones on the beyerdynamics. and yes i have good amps to drive them, so that will not be the solution.

so do you know any opened headphone that has both, very wide soundstage and sub bass?

pricerange up to 500$

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 20
What you're looking for is difficult to find in open-back headphones, especially ones in the your price bracket and above, as manufacturers are more concerned about accurate sound reproduction.  How about Denon's line?  Despite their closed design, they boast an exceptional soundstage as well as deep subwoofer type bass.

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #4 of 20
Thats a very difficult order to fill. Open headphones tend to not be able to reproduce "sub bass" very well because of the inherent nature of their design. Closed headphones tend not to extend their soundstage because of their closed backing. The only thing that i could possibly think of would be to take Denon and add a MarkL mod to it to enhance the soundstage, but i still dont know that that is what your looking for. 

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #5 of 20
I thought of the d2000 earlyer but i am afraid of their highs. And As i Read soundstage has good dephth But does Not expand to the sides. Is that true?

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:
I thought of the d2000 earlyer but i am afraid of their highs. And As i Read soundstage has good dephth But does Not expand to the sides. Is that true?

You're fear of the D2000 upper frequency is not unfounded, but(from what I've read) it improves a bit in the D5000 to where the D7000 just about has it perfect.

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 20
Sorry, but I need to threadjack. A while ago I tried the Senn HD555 at a store, and they seemed very deep-bassy to me, maybe I'm wrong and it was just midbass? I just thought that some open headphones actually extended well in the low region

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #11 of 20
to be more precise in what i am searching for: just an open headphone that has the soundsignature my shure srh750dj has, but with a whole lot more of soundstage.

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #13 of 20
Yes, aren't the XB all closed? An open bass monster is kind of a myth, but the Denons are huge, so their soundstage is bigger, even though they are closed. Also, the HD555 was a pretty good model with a good low end.

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #14 of 20
If you don't mind increasing your budget, I'm pretty certain the Audez'e LCD2 is the headphone for you.  It has all the traits you're looking for, plus it is not too heavy on the amplifier requirement unlike Hifiman's line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back