suggest which power-amp to build ($300-500) and what speakers(<$1000) would pair well?
Feb 19, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #16 of 49
thanks for the very informative posts. i will check out the twisted X as a possible option, sounds like it seriously would be. one problem is, with only one set of balanced outputs on the CA, I guess I'd need to build a balanced "switchbox" in order to be able to connect both my balanced b22 AND the twisted X?

onto speakers, couple of clarifications, i think id be more inclined to a 2.0 system (this just means no sub right?). you say floor standing would be the better way to go most likely, does that imply tower speakers? or moreso bookshelves on stands do you mean? in terms of SQ, the majority of the music thatll be listened to is rock/jazz, so im thinking i might roll with this hardwood echoey floor and go for a bit more of the live sound. IMHO musical sounding would be better, as the CA840c and the beta22 both have a tendency of leaning a little more towards the analytical sounding side of things. now, with respect to bass, i HATE "loose" bad sounding bass, just immediately always sounds so cheap to me. however that said, i do definitely need something that has SOME punch, as rock is always lacking without it, and i suspect on occasion we will be listening to some more electronica/rap genres so having some oomph there would be nice. i will most preferably be buying via agoN like you said, so basically i just need some names of speakers to look for, and what models you guys think would adequately do for a room of that size. CHEERS!

Feb 19, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #17 of 49
Yes, a 2.0 means 2 speakers without a sub. And, in order to get the bass you are looking for, the speakers will need to be floor standing. Your hard floor of course will give a more "live" sound than a carpeted floor. Name your budget and purchasing options for your amp, for example, used, DIY, or whatever, and post in the speaker forum at AVS exactly as you have done so here. Provide the same information and ask questions. There's lots of helpful experience there and I am certain you will benefit greatly from doing so. The way I suggest you go about this is 1) join AVS and post, 2) state the information you have provided here and ask your questions there, 3) specifically ask for opinions on speakers that are currently selling in the classifieds at Audiogon, 4) check out the reviews of those speakers by using Google and audioreview.com, 5) check out the for sale section at AVS as well, 6) post back here after you get things going like this and I will advise. I have a few speakers in mind for you; however you will be better off proceeding as I have advised. One more thing is let everyone at AVS know your COMPLETE budget, and let them advise you on what portion of that should be spent on speakers and what should be spent on an amp. Let them know too that you prefer buying used speakers and whether you prefer buying a DIY amp or a used one.

Feb 19, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, a 2.0 means 2 speakers without a sub. And, in order to get the bass you are looking for, the speakers will need to be floor standing. Your hard floor of course will give a more "live" sound than a carpeted floor. Name your budget and purchasing options for your amp, for example, used, DIY, or whatever, and post in the speaker forum at AVS exactly as you have done so here. Provide the same information and ask questions. There's lots of helpful experience there and I am certain you will benefit greatly from doing so. The way I suggest you go about this is 1) join AVS and post, 2) state the information you have provided here and ask your questions there, 3) specifically ask for opinions on speakers that are currently selling in the classifieds at Audiogon, 4) check out the reviews of those speakers by using Google and audioreview.com, 5) check out the for sale section at AVS as well, 6) post back here after you get things going like this and I will advise. I have a few speakers in mind for you; however you will be better off proceeding as I have advised. One more thing is let everyone at AVS know your COMPLETE budget, and let them advise you on what portion of that should be spent on speakers and what should be spent on an amp. Let them know too that you prefer buying used speakers and whether you prefer buying a DIY amp or a used one.

i am going to definitely look into AVS audio as you adviced, but mind telling me some name brands just so i have a general idea of what some good stuff to look for might be (so i can browse agon etc)? I want to be looking in the "monitors" section, and not the "full-range" speakers right?

Feb 20, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #20 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am going to definitely look into AVS audio as you adviced, but mind telling me some name brands just so i have a general idea of what some good stuff to look for might be (so i can browse agon etc)? I want to be looking in the "monitors" section, and not the "full-range" speakers right?

You will find floor-standers (and others) in the "full-range" section and smaller speakers in the "monitor" section. You want to skip right to the "Classifieds" section. I suggest limiting your search to the ads with photos of the actual speakers and to those sellers who show at least some credibility. You don't need a general idea or a name brand. You need to check out AVS and Audiogon for the speakers that are available within your price range and needs. And then post about them on AVS asking for opinions. I guarantee there will be people there advising you to buy new speakers, and I recommend you disregard what they say and continue asking for advise on used speakers. You will need to search for the used speakers and post the makes and models you are considering, and ask for their advise.

One thing that's given me reason to rethink my advise of going with a 2.0 is the amp you're likely to end up with for up to $500. A pair of 200w RMS floor standers really will need some serious power to make them sound right and to get the bass out of it you will want. Big speakers just don't like being underpowered. So I'm now advising to get a 2.1 system. Smaller speakers are easier to drive well and should work best for you with a sub. When you post over at AVS, you may hear this same debate 2.0 vs 2.1, but I'm now sure a 2.1 will be better for you BECAUSE your amp likely won't drive a large floor stander well enough AND you are going to want to hear the lowest notes played with authority like when listening to electronica and rap. Decent monitors will give you most of the bass you will want with rock music. Please get back to me after checking out AVS and Audiogon. AVS also can advise you well on a subwoofer, which should run you no more than about $300 shipped for your needs, for example the HSU STF-1.

Feb 20, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #21 of 49
wait, so to clarify. should i be looking in the classifieds under monitors, or do i want some full-rangers? if im going to get a small sub as well like that HSU one, which do i want to go with, simple bookshelf/monitors instead of full ranges in that case?? my one question is, if i was to get a sub like the HSU STF-1, how do i "wire" it? assuming I go about building one of these simple gainclone amps in stereo configuration wiht a single PSU, wouldnt it only have 4 speaker taps as outputs (L+ L-, R+ R-)? Where would i hookup the sub...since my 840c definitely doesnt have sub-outs. I assume I wouldnt want to be using the speaker out on the back of the HSU to power my other speakers right...

Feb 20, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #22 of 49
When you mentioned that nice, big room all I could think of were Magnepans. You would have plenty of room to let them breathe. I think there is a thread or two about them here, as well. Give them some thought.

Feb 20, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #23 of 49
oh WOW, ive never seen/heard of them before, but those magnepans/magneplanar technology is absolutely intriguing, could be exactly what im looking for for this kind of room. i assume I'd just need to go with their MMG basic ones? no sub needed in addition based on what their site claims right? if i go this route and get speakers like this, what do i want to look for in amping, am i going to be able to get a decent amp in the 500 range thatll be able to power these, the magnepan site is a bit vague on power requirements. if i go with magnepans, will i be looking to DIY an amp (options?) or should i be looking to purchase used perhaps....

Feb 20, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #24 of 49
The magnepans are 4 Ohm speakers, an LM3886 gainclone running +/- 32V will likely be able to put out 70 Watts into those. That's probably enough
smily_headphones1.gif
If it isn't, consider the Twisted X Overture and you can double that value.

Feb 20, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #25 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The magnepans are 4 Ohm speakers, an LM3886 gainclone running +/- 32V will likely be able to put out 70 Watts into those. That's probably enough
smily_headphones1.gif
If it isn't, consider the Twisted X Overture and you can double that value.

thanks a ton. I will look into it, that twisted X is damn tempting just because its balanced and all
tongue.gif
! what do you guys think, would 2 magnepan MMGs paired up with a twisted X overture "float my boat"? I will obviously try to demo magnepans first, as it sounds like its a bit of personal preference there. I was having a bit of trouble seeing the back binding posts on the MMGs...is it just +/- (2 taps) on each, so I'd just need 4 taps (L+L-R+R-) on whatever amp I build? linked to my earlier question, how would i go about adding a sub or something to this kind of setup, do i add just another set of 2 taps to the back of my amp...and another PCB to power those or....hopefully you guys understand what im asking, but let me know what you think of the choice of magnepan MMG + twisted X. cheers all

Feb 20, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #26 of 49
so is the MMGs and twisted X a suitable paired up option....or should i look elsewhere? i think im gunna go demo some magnepans today.

Feb 20, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #27 of 49
Regards the Twisted X Overture,
Correct me if I wrong about that, but having a b22 building you can build some gain clone boards, and feed them out of the b22(four of them, for fully balanced config), you don't really need the TXD.

Feb 20, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #28 of 49
really? so just run two additional balanced outputs from my beta22, each connecting to an L and R + and - for a total of 4 gainclone boards? if i dont want to go that route, would the TXO be a suitable choice to pair up with some mmgs? im still a bit lost as to how i would add a sub to that if i wanted to. the MMGs each need a + and -, so id need 4 taps from the TXO for the 2 mmgs, then 2 more for a sub....or...am i way off base?

Feb 22, 2008 at 10:07 AM Post #30 of 49
hmm, ive got another thread going at the moment, but i think ive decided to go with a cambridge audio 840a as the amp, im not gunna diy it, the cambridge line just looks all too nice together
smily_headphones1.gif
. anyways, that puts out 120WPC @ 8 ohms and 200WPC @ 4ohms, so that definitely opens up my options quite a bit! I was worried about the maggies being potentially a bit lacking in bass, although i do love the liquidy smooth mids and highs and the fantastic placement. my only other worry about the magnepans was that i hear they are VERY placement specific, and in my living room in particular, there isnt a whole ton of room to experiment with. suggestions on a good speaker ($1000 or under range) that will pair up well with the CA 840A? please note, my primary preference with these speakers IS that they have very good presentation in the mids and highs, however i do want there to be SOME decent oomph behind the bass, too lacking is always disappointing in a setup. I do do mostly listening to rock vocals and jazz though, stuff like belle and sebastian, wes montgomery

Users who are viewing this thread

Back