Suggest Portable Over Ear Headphones
May 27, 2011 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

PhantmShado

Head-Fier
Hey all, I've decided I don't really like IEMs as a portable experience (I've tried well regarded from earsonics, ultimate ears, westone, and audio-technica and all seemed to have what I considered to be common shortcomings).  I would now like to get some portable over the ear phones instead.

I tried going to the local audio shops, but they only seemed to carry one B&W, AKGs, and Sennheisers for portable over the ear phones.  All three of which came across as quite bass heavy.  I have also picked up some ATH ES55s and Grado SR80is in my quest, both of which I consider to be portable phones and free of the bass problem, but the ES55s just sort of fall apart on rock songs and the SR80s have a sort of veiled sound that I just don't like.

Before I toss some more cash I'd like to hear if the community has any well liked portable cans.  I'm looking for a clean sounding pair of headphones that have either a neutral signature, or differ from one with an underemphasized midrange.  For point of comparison I have some ATH A900s I like, and while in store heard some Sennheiser 598s that I didn't really like, hard to describe beyond them sounding kind of thin.  I also heard some 701s in store just to see, and did actually like those ones, but they' re kind or pricey and not really portable.  All suggestions apprecitated.

Budge: $200

May 31, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 10
Bump...I'd like thoughts about this too, have wanted a set of this type for awhile, but haven't been able to sort through to evaluate anything. 

Jun 2, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 10
I'm demoing some Beyer DT 1350s, and like them pretty well.  I had the same issue with comfort of IEMs, and am starting to look into other portables.  The Beyers are pretty neutral with good base; the soundstage is restricted compared to full-sized cans, especially something like the 701s, but is food for a portable.  The Senn HD25s are of a similar class, although a bit less neutral on the highs.  Sony makes some respectable portables, but I'll let an expert address model specifics

Jun 2, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 10
I'd recommend the HD 25s from Sennheiser if you're going to be taking them out with you a lot.
Its fairly lightweight and pretty damn good for its price and size so yeah.

Jun 2, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 10
Hey.

If you are able to try the Audio Technica ATH-M50 you should have a listen and see what you think about their sound.

The bass in these I find to be perfect and in terms of portability, it folds up nicely and comes with a great looking carry bag. I have no idea how they compare to your ATH-A900 but the ATH-M50s are definitely worth trying if you have the opportunity.

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 10
DT 1350 and HD 25 are not Over Ear, as OP is looking for. OP cited A900, HD 598 and K701--i.e. circumaural headphones.

Quote:
I'm demoing some Beyer DT 1350s, and like them pretty well.  I had the same issue with comfort of IEMs, and am starting to look into other portables.  The Beyers are pretty neutral with good base; the soundstage is restricted compared to full-sized cans, especially something like the 701s, but is food for a portable.  The Senn HD25s are of a similar class, although a bit less neutral on the highs.  Sony makes some respectable portables, but I'll let an expert address model specifics

Quote:
I'd recommend the HD 25s from Sennheiser if you're going to be taking them out with you a lot.
Its fairly lightweight and pretty damn good for its price and size so yeah.

OP, usual suspects based on your requirements include: ATH-M50, SRH-440. Maybe even Phiaton MS 400, depending on the size of your ears.

Jun 13, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 10
I may have been unclear, I don't need them to be over ear, I just no longer trust IEMs to have what I am looking for.  I've heard smaller phones that sit on the ear that beat what I don't like about IEMs.  I've had a hard time finding any without bass boost though which is annoying.

Also, I just acquired some used MS 400 and they're fitting the bill size wise.  But the bass frankly seems a bit sloppy and symbols don't have impact. More importantly though, it just isn't really a detailed set of cans. And that's my main issue with them.  I'm not hearing the strums on guitar strings or any of those good things that even the Grado SR-80is are providing at a lower price (though mind you the sound signature is very different between the two with the grado sounding less in my face with the sound if I had to describe it, it's a very noticable difference is my point) but I feel the ms 400s are losing in aspects that are independent of sound signature.

Anyway, I will next try one of the cans above, but not for a few weeks at least.  I alas do have something resembling a budget.

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 10
Small, isolating, not bass-boosted? HD 25-1 definitely fits the bill. Dunno how much the DT1350 costs but it's got similar build/design plus points, although the sound is different.

Jun 14, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #10 of 10
Jude did a Head-Fi tv episode comparing the two.  I'd suggest that OP find this video.  It linked on the main page.  I believe it was episode number 3...

Quote:
Small, isolating, not bass-boosted? HD 25-1 definitely fits the bill. Dunno how much the DT1350 costs but it's got similar build/design plus points, although the sound is different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back