SubPac for Sub Referencing
Jan 10, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #61 of 76
Comments on M2 inverted vs. M2 and/or S2?
I just heard about the device, and initially thought all applications would chest-mounted, e.g. using M2 inverted, as it "feels" most instinctive to me. Something feeling rumbling behind you seems a bit off :p

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #62 of 76
  Comments on M2 inverted vs. M2 and/or S2?
I just heard about the device, and initially thought all applications would chest-mounted, e.g. using M2 inverted, as it "feels" most instinctive to me. Something feeling rumbling behind you seems a bit off :p

it's not as big of a deal as you would think, as long as you use the unit subtly (where it is at its best).  Your core isn't super sensitive directionally, it mostly just feels an omnidirectional thump.  That being said, I do prefer the inverted M2.  Especially if I am playing around with it at higher than natural settings.  

A lot of people who use this thing go crazy with it, and have impact it produces set at ***several*** times what the natural impact would be.  If you use the subpac at a "natural" level, then you almost won't think it is on, as your brain just blends it in with your heard sound, into one coherent whole.  If you have it higher, the "spell is broken" and you feel the subpac as its own separate thing, in which case having it on the back is a little off-putting.

All that to say, yes, I prefer in the front, but it actually doesn't matter as much as you would think if you are using it for high fidelity musical enjoyment.

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:23 AM Post #63 of 76

it's not as big of a deal as you would think, as long as you use the unit subtly (where it is at its best).  Your core isn't super sensitive directionally, it mostly just feels an omnidirectional thump.  That being said, I do prefer the inverted M2.  Especially if I am playing around with it at higher than natural settings.  

A lot of people who use this thing go crazy with it, and have impact it produces set at ***several*** times what the natural impact would be.  If you use the subpac at a "natural" level, then you almost won't think it is on, as your brain just blends it in with your heard sound, into one coherent whole.  If you have it higher, the "spell is broken" and you feel the subpac as its own separate thing, in which case having it on the back is a little off-putting.

All that to say, yes, I prefer in the front, but it actually doesn't matter as much as you would think if you are using it for high fidelity musical enjoyment.

Thanks for the lovely description.
I would think that the chair-mounted application is even more susceptible to resonance/vibration issues, and you'd be too constrained to sit in the same exact position all the time as well, for a uniform experience in mind?
I guess I should test this one out :p

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #64 of 76
I use the M2 model, with a twist; although it's designed to be worn as a backpack, I actually wear it backwards, i.e. on my chest when I'm sitting down listening. I also use a Smyth Research Realiser. The combination is awesome, because the Realiser makes it seem like I'm listening to speakers in front of me, and the vibrations from the M2 are on my chest where I would feel them from a good subwoofer or a live performance. (Vibrating your back isn't nearly as realistic, because sound waves from speakers in front of you obviously hit your chest first.)
Best tip ever. Makes a huge difference.
Got my M2 this christmas. Love it.
Will also get a Smyth Realizer A16. Backed it a Kickstartert.
Compared to my Lofelt Basslet the SupPac is a bit slower. (https://lofelt.com/) But the Basslet is very small.

Dec 27, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #65 of 76
Now as I got my SubPac M2 I was a bit shocked that there is now a M2X version.
I tried to find out more about the differences
According to SubPac https://subpac.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...is-the-difference-between-the-M2-and-the-M2x-

The SUBPAC M1 and M2 will no longer be made! The upgrades in the M2x include: Increased dynamic range which gives a more open, accurate and natural representation of your music especially for acoustic genres, lower total harmonic distortion which guarantees a better definition even at higher levels, and a huge 8+ hours of battery use time.

I also found this video claiming his new MX2 broke quite quickly.

Under the comments some others also mention that their SubPac broke, allthough it is unclear if this was also the M2X.
Any Bassheads here who know a bit more?

Dec 27, 2017 at 4:48 AM Post #66 of 76
I have used the Subpac S1 for a few months and it complements my AKG K1000 very nicely, not only providing more of that deep bass, but also providing a real physical sensation, as if being there in the concert hall or on the dance floor.

I do not use the in-built audio device (output) since the audio quality is bad (high s/n ratio and other problems). An RCA Y-cable feeds the bass separately to the Subpac's input, and the other end goes to my headphones.

Will have to do a bit more listening. I found it interesting that SubPac themselves write:

The SubPac passes audio through to the headphones without adding or subtracting signal. It does not act as an amplifier. Keep this in mind when placing it in the signal chain. It also accepts line level, not speaker level so refrain from connecting it to a port that would normally receive a speaker. This will prevent it from getting direct current.

Surround sound connections are also possible depending on your setup. Find the LFE or Sub line output from your receiver and connect the SubPac. It can also be effective using the mixed output from the headphone out if that is present. The last scenario would be to split the LFE amplified signal before the speaker with a switch and then placing a high to low adapter (speaker to line level) before ending at the SubPac.

The SubPac is matched for headphone impedances 32ohms and under, which pairs it with the wide majority of headphones on the market. For higher impedance headphone users the best practice is to split the source signal to the SubPac and use a dedicated headphone amp.
Source: https://subpac.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...amp-what-are-the-best-practices-in-this-case-

Dec 27, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #67 of 76
Will have to do a bit more listening. I found it interesting that SubPac themselves write:

Source: https://subpac.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...amp-what-are-the-best-practices-in-this-case-

"...without adding or subtracting signal" This implies purposefully 'modifying' the signal, if you ask me. As if some might think that the subpac's line-level output has bass added, or some other kind of intentional EQing.

Unintentional modifications are another thing. Just the fact that the subpac has only 3.5mm connections is enough to deter me from connecting my HPs through it. The fact that several people have already mentioned that the sound coming through it is not so good, seals it. But that's me. I think that you're much better off splitting your output directly from the HP jack (or if your amp has a pre-out, even better): it's less connections, cable, and who knows what else, for your precious signal to travel through.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #68 of 76
So I got this cheap Sabrent USB sound card so I could split audio to my headphone amp and a device called the Subpac and control the volumes separately on Voicemeeter Banana.

When I send audio straight to the Subpac (through the Sabrent) and enable it on Playback Devices, it works fine. Of course, this doesn't help me because then I only have the subwoofer vibrating, with no music.

However, it won't show up in Voicemeeter Banana for me to send audio to it. So I can get Voicemeeter Banana sending audio to my amp, but nothing shows up as an option in the USB slot where the Subpac is plugged in.

I figure the problem here is that the app doesn't recognize the USB sound card as a sound card, so any sort of sound application that could accept it as an input which would be recognized as a sound device by Voicemeeter Banana would do the trick.

Help!

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #70 of 76
Connect your dac to the amp, then run a headphone splitter cable from the line out port of the module of the sub pac, then connect a double ended 3.5mm cable to the line out of the sub pac module to your amp . lastly connect your headphones to the second ended free lead of the headphone splitter cable, NOT the headphone lead of the sub pac module. The module of the sub pac is cheap and is made with cheap componets. You get way better volume control with far less audible distortion if you use a headphone splitter cable. Trust me . I have experimented .

Hope this helps .try it out and if you have any problems just let me know. Happy to help and enjoy good vibrations .

Sep 22, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #72 of 76
It's late where I am, so apologies, but I can't follow @nephilim32 's chain of connections.

My suggestion: keep the subpac out of your signal path. So, connect dac to amp, the normal way. Then, give your subpac it's own separate feed by connecting it to a second output from your amp. If your amp hasn't got 2 outputs, or (even better) a pre-out, then you need a splitter. Then run both the subpac, and your phones, from the amp.

I'm sure someone posted some splitter cable info, earlier in the thread.

Sep 23, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #73 of 76
Bass digger is right, but i forgot to mention about the different amplifiers. Obviously a desk top amp has just the one output; however, some portable amps have a line out and the headphone jack . For instance . have a Cypher labs Algorithm trio. A nice portable tube amp that has a line out connection with a headphone jack .
Anyhow (Vinsent) just specify what amp you have... Full size or portable .:)

Jul 31, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #74 of 76
This seems to be an old thread but I don't why there aren't a bunch of threads about the Subpac on HeadFi - seems to be the only way to get some decent bass without annoying the neighbours. Anyone else still using an S2 with the pre-amp out? Or is there something newer/better?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #75 of 76
This seems to be an old thread but I don't why there aren't a bunch of threads about the Subpac on HeadFi - seems to be the only way to get some decent bass without annoying the neighbours. Anyone else still using an S2 with the pre-amp out? Or is there something newer/better?
Yes. I’ve had my S2 for years now. I don’t use it a lot these days, but sometimes I break it out with electronic music and have a great time. The key to enjoying terrific sound is not to use the headphone out directly. Just avoid that nonsense and use a Y-splitter cable for the line out section if your headphone amp only has a single headphone Jack port.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back