SubPac for Sub Referencing
Jul 11, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #16 of 76
I've used the Subpac with both of my rigs. Here are the two ways I've set it up.

With the Gustard X12 + H10, I hook up the H10 to the X12 via  the balanced XLR outputs on the X12. I then hook up the Subpac to the unbalanced RCA outputs on the X12. The X12 outputs sound via the XLR and RCA outputs simultaneously, meaning I connect my headphones to the H10 and the DAC outputs to the Subpac in perfect sync. You can turn the volume down on the X12 itself to help fine tune the intensity of the Subpac, and then change the volume on the H10 for your headphones. I hook up my monitors to the line-out of the Subpac (this means that I can only use my monitors while the Subpac is on, but this isn't an issue because you can turn the intensity to 0 if you don't want to use the Subpac).

With the M-DAC, I've daisy-chained ANOTHER DAC to solely handle the output to the Subpac. I've connected the M-DAC to my M-Stage DAC via the optical out, and hooked up the Subpac to the RCA outputs on the M-Stage DAC. I've connected my monitors to the RCA outputs on the M-DAC, and I drive my LCD-X's from the balanced XLR outputs on the M-DAC. This means I get synchronized sound to my headphones, monitors and the Subpac. The reason for the existence of the M-Stage DAC to solely handle the Subpac is because the M-DAC does not allow simultaneous use of headphones and the RCA/XLR outputs, only one or the other.

The Subpac only starts working for frequencies that are 120hz and below (IIRC). Your headphones will still reproduce bass just like they normally do, but you get the added benefits of the Subpac, which, when set up correctly, feel like a perfect extension of the bass from your headphones/monitors. You can literally FEEL how well a producer has mixed their bass, which also travels through your body to yours ears, which lets you hear more as well.

Basically, I really like this device. It's helped provide the experience that I've been searching for for a long time from headphones.

EDIT: For anyone who owns the Subpac and has a nice pair of speakers/headphones, listen to the song Stigma by Noisia. A masterpiece of bass music.

Jul 11, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #17 of 76

How (which component) will you adjust the volume? The usb interface? I'm not familiar with the model, but I guess that you're referring to volume adjustable line level outputs. So, you should be able to adjust the volume of all line outs simultaneously. You'll have to preset the volume on your headphone/speaker amps. I'd suggest that you experiment with those, rather than just setting them to the max.

Please let us know how you get on with the Subpac. On another thread someone reported a delay in the response of the bass. Another concern might be how well the bass integrates, not just in response time, but with phase matching and frequency humps. There doesn't seem to be any (sub-woofer style) phase adjustment on the subpac. How well does it integrate with the phones?

Keep digging.

Sorry, correction  - The studio monitors won't be hooked up line level. I'll need to adjust the volume for those using the knob on the front of the interface. I change the volume for the headphones with the headphone amp, which is why that is hooked up line level, same with the Subpac.

Jul 25, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #18 of 76
I just got mine last week.  I dont use the control units headphone output because I have a LHGO which has 2 outputs a .47ohm which I use to drive my LCSX's and a 47 ohm which I am using for the subpac.

The Geek out has more than enough power for both.  The sound of the Audeze's suffer in no way from sharing the GO with the subpac.

As for the subpac, it's terrific.  The real art of using it is to use it with subtlety.  I can easily turn my back end into an earthquake zone with the thing, but, to me that's simply not realistic. 
adding just a little shake rattle and roll will make it seem much more like you are listening to a high end stereo or home theatre w subwoofers.

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #19 of 76
How do you find it, regarding integration with the headphone bass?

Does it keep good timing with the bass that you hear?
I guess some notes are going to be both heard, and felt, at the same time. Do they remain as a whole? Can you clearly feel and hear the same 'kick', as one?
Or does it have a tendency to separate the bass? What you hear and what you feel support each other, but they don't necessarily integrate.

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #20 of 76
  How do you find it, regarding integration with the headphone bass?

Does it keep good timing with the bass that you hear?
I guess some notes are going to be both heard, and felt, at the same time. Do they remain as a whole? Can you clearly feel and hear the same 'kick', as one?
Or does it have a tendency to separate the bass? What you hear and what you feel support each other, but they don't necessarily integrate.

There is perfect sync and integration (as long as you've got it set up correctly).

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #21 of 76
I agree, but there is a bit of a learning curve, in terms of getting used to it because youare having two areas of your body stimulated (your back and your ears).  Getting that to integrate into one musical experience takes some getting used to.

But when you have a great set of phones.competent program material, a competent DAC/Amp, and get creative and use one of the very fine speaker emulation units and or programs such as HeaDSPeaker, Out of Your Head, TB Isone, or the Smythe SVS Realizer, you;ll find  yourself with one of the finest Hi-End audio experiences money can buy.

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #22 of 76
I'm guessing that being very conservative, with the subpac 'volume' setting, is probably the best way. Especially to begin with. I think that this would give your senses time to acclimatise to the additional musical signal. So, if/when I get myself one of these, I'll try my hardest to start at a minimum setting, and then slowly turn it up.

On the subject of the additional "stimulus" and your brain integrating the 2 sources: Actually, I think that this should be fairly natural; that's the whole point, reason and purpose of the subpac; to mimic the 'real world' physical manifestation of deep bass. I guess that's why many of us love our deep bass; because it's the only part of the musical spectrum that interacts (stimulates) in 2 ways.

I don't want to start any OT tangent; I just want to acknowledge that the community here is very diverse and also mention my own listening 'ideology' (for want of a better word), to provide some contrast and to highlight another listening system criteria.

I know that I'm in a minority; I guess that I grew up in a different era, where a proper system would be fed by a 'source', that used whatever technology, and would be totally devoted to producing the best quality audio signal, and absolutely nothing else.
I come from the more 'extreme branch' of this dying 'cult'; I think that even hardware tone controls are an unnecessary evil, because they increase the potential for corruption of the audio signal.
So, to use a computer and some dedicated software, as both a source and an attempt to get my headphones to sound like something that they're not (i.e. speakers), is something that almost horrifies me.

But then there are probably many who would be very interested in digital modifications, to emulate speakers. So, I think that it's quite reasonable to mention some suggestions and preferences. I just wanted to introduce my own.

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #23 of 76
I actually did the reverse with my Subpac - I went from setting the intensity knob too high, to REALLY dialing it back over time. Initially I wanted to really feel the impact and get that bass-massage from all my electronic music. Now I want neutral, perfectly extended and synced bass. On non-bassy songs I can just barely feel the Subpac doing anything (which is how it should be). On bassy songs, you can hear/feel with perfect clarity how well the bass was mixed/mastered/produced. You can FEEL the frequency and amplitude of the soundwave with the intensity and speed of the vibrations.

Also, I do not use any speaker emulator software myself. I may check some out in the future, though.

Oh and also, BassDigger, I just did a comparison between my LCD-2F's and LCD-X's from the balanced outputs of the M-DAC. My LCD-2F's have less bass presence and depth compared  to my X's. It's something that was immediately noticeable and apparent.

If I were to give you some advice, I would suggest getting a Subpac first. Then if you're still left wanting for more audible bass, switch out your headphones. Maybe TH-600's if you don't want to stretch to LCD-X's.

Jul 27, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #24 of 76
You can direct me to another thread, if you want to continue the topic elsewhere, but how do the LCD-X and 2F compare, overall? Generally, I'm very happy with the sound of the 2Fs, above around the 40hz region. For basically twice the price, I'd expect the Xs to improve in all areas, not just the bass. Do they do this?

Also, you say the Xs have more bass presence, does this ever become OTT? To me, it's important that the upper and mid bass doesn't sound too 'thick'. The Denon D2000, for instance, has a tendency to feel like it's really thumping my eardrums, because of its excessive mid-bass. The LCD2f occasionally borders on on this, with some very bassy tracks. But generally they lack real power in the deep bass.

Back on topic: I agree; I'd try a subpac, before messing around with different phones. But it could be some time before I can do this; the wife is still giving me grief about my purchase of a Gustard H10!!

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #25 of 76
I can't speak to the sound of the X's vs the 2fs because I've never heard any Audeze product other than my X's.  But I can tell you I've been an audiophile for 35 years and among the transducers I've owned  number KLH 17s, Bose 901's, Koss Pro4 AA's, Rodgers LS3/5a's, Martin Logan CLS's, Aerial Acoustic 10t's, Grado SR 80's, and Shure EC4's--and Audeze LCD X's are easily the equal of the best of them, and to me they sound bass rich but not excessive.  I think they'e a very well balanced sound, in fact a world class sound that is obtainable with a very easy load to drive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #26 of 76
Totally agree with you about the LCD-X, I own all the LCD range phones up to the X and XC, and they definitely are the best of them all, including the LCD-3. Very accurate sounding and I use them for mixing sometimes before double checking with my reference monitors.

I can't speak to the sound of the X's vs the 2fs because I've never heard any Audeze product other than my X's.  But I can tell you I've been an audiophile for 35 years and among the transducers I've owned  number KLH 17s, Bose 901's, Koss Pro4 AA's, Rodgers LS3/5a's, Martin Logan CLS's, Aerial Acoustic 10t's, Grado SR 80's, and Shure EC4's--and Audeze LCD X's are easily the equal of the best of them, and to me they sound bass rich but not excessive.  I think they'e a very well balanced sound, in fact a world class sound that is obtainable with a very easy load to drive.:)

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #28 of 76
I use the M2 model, with a twist; although it's designed to be worn as a backpack, I actually wear it backwards, i.e. on my chest when I'm sitting down listening. I also use a Smyth Research Realiser. The combination is awesome, because the Realiser makes it seem like I'm listening to speakers in front of me, and the vibrations from the M2 are on my chest where I would feel them from a good subwoofer or a live performance. (Vibrating your back isn't nearly as realistic, because sound waves from speakers in front of you obviously hit your chest first.) 

I also avoid the cheap headphone output on the M2's controller by running my headphones directly to my amp. The controller is plugged into an output on the Realiser upstream of the amp.

My last tip: use the volume control VERY sparingly. I only set it about 1/10 of the way up, because any more than that and it feels like a cheesy massage device from a gadget store. But if you set it just enough so you can barely feel (more like sense) the vibrations, it works very well. With good recordings, the vibrations are accurate and well-synced with the audible base from the headphones.

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #29 of 76
Hello all.

Some great posts here lately and it seems like some of you have tried the LCX with the subpac M2. I too, have tried many headphones with this wonderful portable tactile subwoofer and I feel that the Sony MDR Z7's are the headphones that really come out on top! They have the right impedance load to get just enough volume without stretching the SubPac's control box limitations...meaning degradation of the signal does occur if you try using headphones like the HD 800's which are 300ohms +.
I really like hearing some of the innovative and creative solutions that some of you are doing with the subpac. Ie. using it on your chest and using a Smythe SVS Realizer seems very interesting to me and I would hope to try that out some time to avoid using my headphones directly from the SubPac's headphone out connection? Pretty neat.

Anyway. I feel these guys are the kings for which to pair the bet sounding, most efficient driving headphones with this subpac, the z7's.
Most planar magnetic headphones like the LCD-x are inefficient to drive and require more voltage pressure from your amp, so you need a good setup and the SubPac's control box I feel has its limitations if you directly run your headphones out from it (the unit).

Anyway. Happy listening and holidays!!

Keep the bass alive!! And thank you for the Noisia track, Stigma.
I shall return the favor.
Check out the entire album "the grater wrong of a lessor right" by SKINNY PUPPY.
CeVIn Keys is an artists who actually uses the subpac nowadays to reference his low end output in just about all his mixes. :wink:

Dec 19, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #30 of 76
It's not necessary to run your phones out of the Subpac box. Just use splitter for the output of your headphone amp, and run one leg to the phones and the other leg of the amp to the input on the Subpac box.  Then use the level control on the Subpac box to match the Subpac's level to your phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back