Sub $500 DAC suggestions
Apr 25, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #46 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Silly Currawong. That's not what I was referring to.
smily_headphones1.gif
My comment wasn't directed at any one product, but was to convey the fact that FOTM purchases are risky and it's always best to go for the tried and tested products. Oh and I was referring to cw = chinesekiwi, not you. Sorry for the confusion.

Edit: BTW, to the OP, the y2 is disappointing if you use just its USB input (there was very little difference between the y2 and Pico when the y2 was running from USB). I didn't think it sounded better overall than the 02US when used that way (except for the bass), and it was only a little better than the STX. You need to use the y2's coaxial input to get the most out of it. The difference between USB and coax isn't subtle IMO.

No worries. I got fairly taken to task for essentially being responsible for the creation of a FOTM product so I tend to be a bit somewhat more cautious when I make recommendations nowadays to make sure people know where I'm coming from.

Interesting comments about the Pico, as I have the Pico DAC here and am hoping the y2 would be a step up from it.

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #47 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting comments about the Pico, as I have the Pico DAC here and am hoping the y2 would be a step up from it.

There were slight differences between the y2 and Pico when operated through USB. I found the y2 to be slightly better, but I could just as easily chalk that up to the linear regulated PSU I was using with the y2 and not the Pico. The bass was harder hitting on the y2 and soundstage a bit wider, but these were small differences even to trained ears.

I think the y2 separates itself from the Pico once it is used with coax. It gains liquidity (USB is dry and "small" sounding) and a larger, more layered soundstage, more/deeper bass and a more natural, clear treble. I tried 3 different coaxial outputs and they all produce the roughly the same changes with the exception of bass, which seems to vary from transport to transport.

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #48 of 55
I definitely have to try that now, Shahrose. Like I have once said, USB and Coaxial/Optical should yield the same result since all the inputs end up feeding I2S signal to the y2 board but who knows if there is some other magic at work here.
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #52 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I definitely have to try that now, Shahrose. Like I have once said, USB and Coaxial/Optical should yield the same result since all the inputs end up feeding I2S signal to the y2 board but who knows if there is some other magic at work here.
biggrin.gif

Yep, that's what AMB told me, so I held off from using coax for a while. I was (pleasantly) surprised to find what I did after using coax, because it's a clear improvement. I have all the respect for Ti as an engineer and designer, but when it comes to subjective sound impressions, I'll trust my own ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #54 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I don't think I'm quite ready to spend big bucks on converters. What do you say about the Terralink X2, Shahrose?

I say none of the converters have impressed me. I'm about to sell the X2 as well (already sold the HiFace and I own the Musiland 02US which isn't any better as a converter). They're all comparable to the direct motherboard coaxial output of my computer overall. I don't want to go any further OT than I already have. PM me if you have more questions.

Apr 28, 2010 at 3:17 AM Post #55 of 55
I'm using the Musiland Monitor 01 USD as the USB to coax converter for my y2, as thats the only option for my laptop. Haven't tried the y2's USB input though.

The only other DAC I want to try is the DAC19 DSP... otherwise the y2 is a great DAC for my WA6!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back