Sub $500 DAC suggestions
Apr 12, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #16 of 55
I looked at the Gamma projects a couple of weeks ago.
This Gamma2 seems interesting. It also seems like a DIY project that could take more time and skill than I have.
Does anyone know how much MrX charges to build one or how much all the components cost in total?

I started to wade through the release thread but it's 100pages long and a search didn't answer the question.

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #18 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyArea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I looked at the Gamma projects a couple of weeks ago.
This Gamma2 seems interesting. It also seems like a DIY project that could take more time and skill than I have.
Does anyone know how much MrX charges to build one or how much all the components cost in total?

I started to wade through the release thread but it's 100pages long and a search didn't answer the question.

I think it should be below $400 minus Sigma25. You can always shoot him a PM here.

Apr 13, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #20 of 55
A used parasound d/ac 1100HD if you can find it... It will blow all the others away! great value for the money... Good luck,

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:07 PM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CI Audio VDA2 used, preferably with the VAC1 power supply.

I second this! The VDA2 is an excellent bargain, and you can definitely find it for under 500. It has optical and coaxial in, and the two outputs are out of phase with each other so you can use it as a balanced DAC with the right set of cables (CI Audio sells the cables).

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #22 of 55
Musical Fidelity V-DAC. I have been utterly delighted with mine since the day I first listened to it. It sounds so much better than it's low price would suggest - I haven't heard a source anywhere near its price range that comes close. I heard the DacMagic and was unimpressed - found it didn't have anything special about the sound. The V-dac has a luscious midrange and incredible ability to flesh out subtleties of tone (overtones). You have to try it. I'm not a Musical Fidelity salesman....just love the darn thing.

Apr 16, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #27 of 55
PS Audio DL III Dac.
might be a little over budget though.

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mmmm...the Gamma2 looks very tempting. I already got a Rockhopper M^3 as well. AMB Labs DIY designs ftw!

Maybe I will join with you soon! but all're diy-ed (just finished my m3 weeks ago)
wink.gif

Really I've been looking around for a good DAC at roughly 300$ and most people here said that the y2 is unbeatable at that price so maybe that's the path I'll walk down in the future.
Btw, if you do purchase one, let us know what you think about it going along with the m3
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #29 of 55
I was going to mention the Matrix dac as well. I'm also in the market for a sub $500 dac and I have been looking at the matrix a lot. It has a lot of potential and bang for the buck.

I don't want upsampling/oversampling. Whatever input signal I give it, it should output as such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back