Sub $500 DAC suggestions
Apr 11, 2010 at 3:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
so any suggestions out there to tempt my fancy?

I prefer it to be a 'real' as possible: i.e. as much detail and transparency as possible. e.g. If the recording is crap, then it should sound crap without the DAC making it 'more musical' etc...

Space is a non-issue. Used/New? non-issue. I really don't care if I'm say using a DVD player purely as a DAC so long as it's the best sounding in the price range. I've looked hard and long at some Rotel CD players for example.
I feel my Musiland is the weakest point of my setup atm.

One thing it must have however is coax or optical in as I plan to optical out from an Creative X-fi for gaming reasons. I already have a rather decent headphone amp so amping is a non-issue as well.

Suggestions? Any other info that could prove useful that I haven't stated?
Suggestions can be anything, DVD players, Blu-ray players, dedicated audio stuff, doesn't matter as long as it meets these requirements.
I'm in no hurry to buy it but rather want suggestions so I can investigate in my own time.

List of things I am not interested in:

DacMagic
Nuforce HDP
All the lower Audio-GD products
Musiland MD10
Yulong DH10

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 55
as I said, not interested in DacMagic. I know that this being an audio forum, that the bias in recommendations will come from dedicated audio products, but I am willing to investigate other A/V products as well and purely using them as DACs.

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #6 of 55
Anyone compared CD and DVD players to anything popular products on here?
I strongly know about the 'hype', 'FOTM', whatever you call it and the flaws of Head-fi so I do tread carefully and always investigate for myself but of course would like suggestions in case there are others that I haven't considered. (choices = >.<)

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #8 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is wrong with HDP?

Mainly cuz I have an amp already that's better than the HDP's and that I've read that the DAC-19 for example would be better purely used as a DAC vs. the HDP purely used as a DAC.

Apr 12, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #11 of 55
CI Audio VDA2 used, preferably with the VAC1 power supply.

Apr 12, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 55
Why all good stuffs are only diy and almost impossible to purchase.
frown.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #15 of 55
I'm still amazed on how small and how epic-sounding the Gamma2 is. It has a very nice color to its sound: not too neutral, not too forward, plenty of details, rich midrange and presence. I'm very satisfied with mine and will stick it it until the need arises for a balanced DAC, if it ever occurs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back