Sub-$400 Closed Headphones
Apr 26, 2011 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Boysie8

New Head-Fier
Hi all

I'm in the market for some closed headphones, and thanks to our post-earthquake course subsidy, I've got around $500NZD ($400USD) which is burning a hole in my pocket.
I gather from reading around this forum that the best option is a headphone/amp combo, one option of which is the Beyerdynamic DT 770 paired (possibly) with a FiiO E7 Amp.

I've currently got a pair of HD555s (which is what started this whole wretched headphone affliction), and would ideally like something that sounds a little different.
My general listening includes rock, blues and acoustic - played through my iPod - so strong guitar (mids I guess) is pretty crucial.

I should also add that my flatmate is tripping over to the States in a couple of months, so shipping shouldn't really be an issue.

Any input you guys could offer would be much appreciated

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 9
I'll generally be using them at home or in the library, so portability isn't too much of an issue.
The FA-003 and SRH840 both look pretty good, any direct comparisons between the two?

I'd also rather a portable (rechargeable, ideally) headphone DAC/amp.

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #7 of 9
I owned the 840's and they are nice but have no air to them compared to the DT770/600 and they just didn't do it for me- no excitement. Plus the headband killed the top of my head. Great isolation though and good with vocals. My Ibasso D10 drives my DT770/600 well enough and they work well enough together.

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 9
I have the Ultrasone HFi 780's and Pro 900's... Closed, in your price range, different from the Senns, and fantastic all around cans... both mean on the bass.
I would recommend having a look at their reviews. The 780s are easily driven by an ipod, the 900s benefit from amping, but I don't see it as crucial to the phones.

Apr 27, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks guys for all of your help (I realise this is a popular topic on these boards). I've decided to go for the long-term approach; invest in a good portable DAC/Amp now and upgrade the headphones when I've got some serious money to spend on them.

Cheers,
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back