Sub $100 cans, v6 still a solid choice?
Aug 7, 2011 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

beardguise

New Head-Fier
I've been reading headfi for a few months now as I get more and more interested in headphone listening.

I'm looking to get a pair of closed cans that I'll be using for home use and some travel in cars and maybe busses later on. I have porta-pros, which I really enjoy listening to, but I need a pair of closed cans. I don't want them to be more than $100 buck. Under $75 is even better.

I'm looking for something that fits rock, alternative, some punk/pop/hip-hop type music (don't really know how to classify it when it contains just about everything). I need some bass that doesn't leave me wishing for more (not overpowering) and a nice midrange. I like highs that aren't shrill. Don't really know how to explain it.

I'm considering the Sony v6 cans. I've seen them around a lot and people seem to like them.
I've thought about the m50s, but they're currently a little more than I'd like to spend, although I think I'd probably like their sound.

Do you think the AKG 240s, Shure 440s, or Senn 280s would be a good match for me, instead of the v6s?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 19
Sounds like the V6 to me. If your budget were only $35, the answer would be JVC HARX700. But with more money, I think the V6 are what you want. Bass, some fun coloration, clear but not dominating highs.

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 19
I'm really leaning towards the v6s. They seem to be what I'm looking for right now in this price range. Unfortunately, I can't audition any cans. No audio shops around me, and I can't make an hour and a half drive to listen to some cans 
triportsad.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 19

Quote:
I'm really leaning towards the v6s. They seem to be what I'm looking for right now in this price range. Unfortunately, I can't audition any cans. No audio shops around me, and I can't make an hour and a half drive to listen to some cans 
triportsad.gif

Heya,

Get the V6.

Or get the ZX700.

Or hunt the used section on the site for something in your range.

May be not quite what you're after, but any thoughts on the XB700?

Very best,

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 19
If you can get the Shure SRH-440s for under $100, it wouldn't be a bad deal. Great soundstage, and rich flowing mids.

Aug 9, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #6 of 19
I've thought about the 440s, but I remember reading that their bass could leaving me wanting some more thump. I still think they'd be nice in terms of their highs and mids, but the bass...

As for the zx700s, I want to be able to use these on the go if I need to, and they don't really fold up or anything. That's kind of a big concern of mine.

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #8 of 19
I love my v6s. They are still a pair of my favorites of all time. They sound good, though not spectacular, with every single genre, and they're literally the only headphones I've ever heard that meet that criteria for me. Plus, they're sturdy as hell and pretty comfortable.  I've owned them for over 4 years, and there are tons of people on Amazon who have posted looking for new pads because their pads fell apart after 10+ years.

I think if I had brought mine to Afghanistan with me, I wouldn't even be on this site right now...which can be taken either way.

So...in short, get the V6.  :D  They're a great price on Amazon, and if you don't like them--which I'm convinced you will--you can always return them for a full refund.

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #9 of 19
i own both the v6 and the xb700, i prefer the sound of the xb700 (with most music) but they don't come anywhere close to the durability of the v6. i don't worry about throwing the v6es into a backpack, but the xb700s need special care to stay nice. that said, the v6es truly do sound good with any song!

just wish the v6 had a removable cable, they would make for great portables if it wasn't for that 3m thick coiled cable..

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #10 of 19
I'm expecting that I'll probably be a little rough with these headphones if I travel with them much. It would be nice to not have them wear out after a year or two.

The more I read about the v6s and see pictures of people in recording studios with them, the more I really want them. I think they'll be my choice.

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #12 of 19
I've heard some people say that the V6s mids/trebles are fatiguing, maybe shrill... but i personally dont hear it. Also, although the cord is coiled, its still pretty long, so might not be perfect for too much extensive travel.

That's about all the non-ideal things i could say about the V6, though. They're the headphones that got me into this hobby, and since i havent spent enough time with my HD600s yet, they're still my favorite headphones ever. I loved their neutral response and relative lack of coloration (i had Grado SR60s before). I would never hesitate to recommend it to anyone, unless you're looking for a certain sound signature/certain coloration (if "neutral", "accurate" doesnt represent what you're looking for, and you're looking for either "bright", "warm", etc, then you should look elsewhere). Dont think you can really go wrong with the V6, though.

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #14 of 19
I have a pair of the 440's.  I got them a little over a month ago.  (I did replace the earcups with 840 earcups.  These are softer and more comfortable.)   I have not heard the others, so I can not comment about those.  The 440's sound great across all genres.  Rock, Jazz classical, blues.  They are not bass heavy, meaning they do not over emphasize bass that isn't there, but if the song is bass heavy, I feel like they do a good job.  They are not fatiguing at all to listen to.  I wear them 4-6 hours a day at my desk.  I do have one complaint, the headband is not soft enough for me across the top of my head.  I have added a little padding.  That is really the only thing that keeps me from telling people that these are no brainer headphones to get.  I love the sound.

-hal

Aug 9, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
I love my v6s. They are still a pair of my favorites of all time. They sound good, though not spectacular, with every single genre, and they're literally the only headphones I've ever heard that meet that criteria for me. Plus, they're sturdy as hell and pretty comfortable.  I've owned them for over 4 years, and there are tons of people on Amazon who have posted looking for new pads because their pads fell apart after 10+ years.

I think if I had brought mine to Afghanistan with me, I wouldn't even be on this site right now...which can be taken either way.

So...in short, get the V6.  :D  They're a great price on Amazon, and if you don't like them--which I'm convinced you will--you can always return them for a full refund.

Exactly.
biggrin.gif
 Oh you might want to buy those Beyer DT 250 pads to use instead of the pleather pads that come with the V6's. I just got mine and love it! heres the link to a discussion and instructions on how to put them on the v6.  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/94836/sony-mdr-v6-7506-beyer-pad-mod-with-pics-lots
Good Luck!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back