Study Phones
Mar 6, 2011 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

REDH0RN

100+ Head-Fier
I have Koss Porta Pro's that are great through PA2V2 on the go or direct from laptop. For more critical listening K601's and Little Dot I+ satisfy. While studying I am comfortable listening to Classical Music on XM Boombox when home alone. Just realized that I am easily distracted when I am not alone. Tried Koss and AKG's but found that at the low level I desire the sounds of others still cut right through. What inexpensive to mid priced closed back phones might serve and possibly have high enough quality reproduction to also be enjoyed in critical listening sessions?

Musical tastes:

Classic Rock
Blues
Alternative
Jazz

Mar 8, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 6
The Sony ZX700 may be a good choice for this..
I only have the z1000 though

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 6
For sitting in quiet places for long periods of time, I prefer my P5s the most - they're really comfy, they have very good detail and soundstage, they're not too bright and they isolate extremely well without bleeding! And with jazz, they absolutely shine!

But most importantly, they maintain these qualities even at low levels (and I'm driving them a PA2V2 as well).

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks. Those look promising. Had B &W 804 floor standers a few years back. Top notch all the way. Gonna keep an eye on pricing on the P5's in hopes it dips noticeably from MSRP. Budget is about half of their cost, but want all suggestions as I may just wait and save to get the ideal pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back