Studio headphone impedance
Aug 23, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #16 of 17
Only very few monitor headphones use an open design, so closed monitor headphones prove their worth by that fact alone I think.
Open headphones tend to win when it comes to airiness and soundstageing, but with the limited choices and budget you'll have to find a compromise.
In my opinion, the most important attributes of a monitor system is neutrality and a balanced frequency response, the K271mkII's do well here.
They do sound a bit solid and closed in, they also lack the clarity and great detail of K240DF's.
But finding a suitable amp for the DF's is difficult unless you want to use a vintage receiver.
But since accuracy is important, a receiver is not optimal, and high voltage dedicated headphones amps are few and expensive unless they use tubes, but cheap tube amps are not accurate.
The K271mkII will sound fine out of a decent studio audio interface, preferably one that is not bus powered (uses it's own power supply).

Nov 4, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #17 of 17
Get the 600ohm version and something like an Audioquest Dragonfly or a Meridian Explorer USB DAC/Amp to make this all very simple..

-edit- I busy realized how hard I just necro'd this thread... saw it over on the recent discussions on the right... derp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back