Stop recommending gear you've never heard: rant warning
Nov 30, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #31 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent. I need a body guard in my stable. Thanks, Mike.

I have been bitchy today...hmmm...but that doesn't mean I don't mean it!
wink.gif

I don't think there is anyone who doesn't believe you mean it.
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #32 of 316
Quote:

In the past? You post opinions in the cables forum every day without having heard the product in question.

frown.gif

I really only post definitive words about power cables and digital cables...I try to just remain skeptical of high-end analog cables.

Nov 30, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #34 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

I really only post definitive words about power cables and digital cables.

And you need to stop it or at least listen to products others are commenting on before spouting off.

Nov 30, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #36 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

I really only post definitive words about power cables and digital cables...I try to just remain skeptical of high-end analog cables.

The problem is with how definitive is defined. It's not fact just because YOU think it so.

See, there's a big world out there with lots of sonic experiences that you haven't had yet, so what's right in your world only won't be definitive.

It will be opinion, and that's fine, but opinion and definitive don't mean the same thing.

Nov 30, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #37 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is going on here. Guys, the saying is what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. What happens on the web, stays all over the web.
biggrin.gif

Let's see if I understand this, Vicki is on a rampage (bithchy) and you guys want her to be your intraweb fiancee, girlfriend. Aren't you both married, don't you get enough of that already?
biggrin.gif

Vicki, are these two gentlemen (using the term lightly) bothering you? If so, I know some local muscle that will take care of the problem.

When I get on my soapbox, this never happens to me! I'm kinda jealous, and somehow...not.
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #38 of 316
Quote:

Okay, I just bumped into it yet again in the amp forum. A guy posting about gear he's never heard. Does he say that? Nope. Do I know he's never heard it? I'm pretty damn sure, unless by some financial miracle he just got it and forgot to post about it everywhere as he normally would do. In this post, he just says the company makes a great product and throws in a couple pics. Innocuous enough? Maybe, except for the fact that it seems to be becoming an accepted practice for people to toss off recommendations without knowing what the heck they're talking about. How can the op, or anyone reading for information, know what to think? Why wouldn't they assume the guy knows a thing or two? He tries to come off that way. The product may in fact be excellent, but the problem is HE DOESN'T KNOW. Why the heck is he posting? Ego? Need to belong? I dunno. I do know that this type of crap spawns bad information and misinformation. People, including myself, rely on this forum as a resource before putting good money down. Do you want to rely on some fool posting for the sake of posting? I don't. The sad truth is that many of us most likely have.

When head-fi went down, I started thinking about the community, the good and the bad of it, and who is responsible for cleaning up what bullhooey there is. The only answer is that we are. So if you haven't heard something, stop posting like you have. I think it's perfectly helpful to mention that you've read about something and the op might want to check into it based on what you've seen, but stop saying, "Get the DT770s. They have great bass!" or a simple "RP-21!" if you, in fact have no damn clue. Other people have heard these things and can answer fully, provide real information, perhaps offer comparisons, and even recommend synergistic components or ones to avoid. That's helpful and interesting to everyone. Your two cents is garbage. If you've read that the 650s have more bass than the 600s, you're right, but if you haven't heard both, don't post. It's pretty easy.

On the other hand, if you're the one seeking a recommendation, it's a good plan to ask more probing questions that taking anybody's word at face value. That responsibility is yours as well as using the search function.

I don't think most members here engage in this practice, and I'm still impressed on a daily basis with the abundance of knowledge here and the willingness to share. Why not let those who know enrich us all rather than diminishing their contributions with crapola? Again, if it ain't you, wonderful; if it is, knock it off. You know who you are.

/rant

I agree. But lets be real.. only a small number of members have certain hard to find, or rare headphones.. & even less want to give recommendations.. So if people stopped giving advice based on word of mouth, a lot of threads would be DOA.. I'm not saying it's right.. I'm just being realistic..

Nov 30, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #39 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree. But lets be real.. only a small number of members have certain hard to find, or rare headphones.. & even less want to give recommendations.. So if people stopped giving advice based on word of mouth, a lot of threads would be DOA.. I'm not saying it's right.. I'm just being realistic..

Wow, I totally disagree. If you're interested in the harder to find headphones, you're right in that few members have heard them and fewer lucky enough to own them, but I think you'll find those that have and do are some of the most helpful, knowledgeable members here. Post a question about the R10, HP2 or HE90 or whatever and you'll get answers from people that are thoughtful, informative, and generous. The Stax guys are pretty amazing and then there are the ortho guys. What possible question regarding rarer headphones could you possibly have that hasn't been answered, if you use search, or wouldn't if you just asked? I have no idea what you mean. Also, most have cycled through a whole lot of gear and are pretty helpful with noob questions as well unless it's about the newest iem or portable amp, but some have that covered as well.

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:34 AM Post #40 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't really see any advantage of "Word of mouth" over "Use the %$@%$ Search Function".* Word of mouth is almost solely based off of impressions given by other people over this forum (and a small handful of others). Given that forums generally have search capabilities, why go by diluted nth-hand knowledge when you can directly go to the source?

Sure, it may be faster to go by "word of mouth", but if you're about to shell out a few kilobucks for a top flight rig, I doubt a little legwork would be unreasonable.

* With the possible exception of a site with a fubar Search Index.

Nov 30, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #42 of 316
What the OP has raised is an aspect of life in general. Have you ever heard witnesses in court ? People are like sheep - many can only follow the rest of the herd.

....................baaaaaaaaaH

Nov 30, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #43 of 316
Well I certainly can't recommend Orpheus from personal experience. However I recommend Orpheus!

Nov 30, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #44 of 316
To Boomana and Duggeh both, Amen! I think both of your original posts combine together to make a very concise and warranted rant and I hope it spurs action from any members responsible.

I have not read your posts, but from what I hear, it's a great point!
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #45 of 316
OP: Great post! <petition signed>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back