Stop recommending gear you've never heard: rant warning
Nov 30, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #62 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, that does it mike. The dvd you're getting is getting the mule replaced with christina aguilera.

That's just wrong.
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #63 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about you stop making bandwidth sucking rant posts/threads, lol.

I'll just cut/paste what I put in another thread

I think people would take you more seriously and rant less about you if you at least took the time to spell correctly and write proper grammar.

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #64 of 316
Meh, I'm not a serious person, nor am I meant to be taken as such...

Anybody who's taking things seriously on a forum, unless it's BUSINESS, is being foolish.

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #65 of 316
Great posts, Boom & Dug. I think noone can disagree with you.
I always try to be aware of your points before posting something about a product. Unfortunately I just know so little I can hardly make helpfull posts (that's why I hang around in the lounge so often I guess...).

Stating that the hd650 has more bass than a hd600 if you haven't heard it but read it so often is fine with me but you do have to mention you're copying other people and nothing talking about your own experience. That's vital for keeping posts and threads as reliable as possible. Thanx for bringing this up and yessss people are sheep blehhhh

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #66 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great posts, Boom & Dug. I think noone can disagree with you.
I always try to be aware of your points before posting something about a product. Unfortunately I just know so little I can hardly make helpfull posts (that's why I hang around in the lounge so often I guess...).

But you ask great questions. That in itself is helpful. In a PRII thread you asked questions that I hadn't even thought about yet, and based on others' answers, starting doing some research on my own.

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #67 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's not cool to recommend gear you haven't heard then I think this should be expanded into not trashing gear you haven't heard as well.

Actually, I think that trashing a product without hearing it is even worse than recommending it without hearing it. But neither is a very good idea.

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #68 of 316
Quote:

Meh, I'm not a serious person, nor am I meant to be taken as such...

Anybody who's taking things seriously on a forum, unless it's BUSINESS, is being foolish.

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Then why are you posting in this thread? Are you trying to add to the discussion or trying to be funny? If you and your words are not to be taken seriously, and on top of that you're only funny to yourself (as evident by the several replies to your posts), then what is it you're trying to accomplish?

Sorry for taking your last comments seriously, LOL.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #69 of 316
Quote:

...I'll just cut/paste what I put in another thread

To me, reading someone saying something is among the best out there doesn't refer to all the amps of the same manufacturer. It implies that they've listened to the bulk other amps in the same price range or better (i.e. Giant Killer). In their opinion then, the product excels because they have a good idea where that product fits in the continuum of the reasonable alternatives.

So, if one hasn't significant experience with a good portion of related products, the response is I have it, I like it, I think it does a great job because of X, Y and Z. Not that it's among the best.

So
My Opera is the among the best of all Operas is nonsensical--I probably haven't heard a significant sampling of his Opera production to make the claim.

My Opera is the among the best of all Meier's line--kinda obvious as its the flagship of his product line.

My Opera is among the best of midrange amps--I don't know, I've not heard the other significant players such as Grace M902, Benchmark DAC1, Rudistor, DIYs in that tier, etc. (not trying to slight any product not mentioned). The best I can reasonably say is I have it, I'm happy with it, etc.

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #70 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Then why are you posting in this thread? Are you trying to add to the discussion or trying to be funny? If you and your words are not to be taken seriously, and on top of that you're only funny to yourself (as evident by the several replies to your posts), then what is it you're trying to accomplish?

Sorry for taking your last comments seriously, LOL.
rolleyes.gif

He's just got a personal beef with me that has a history prior to this thread. It looks like he's making good on his threat:

Quote:

Defensive...not at all. But I think it's comical how you're being all self-righteous lately and I'm in a debatable mood lately, cause frankly, that kind of attitude is fairly disgusting and extremely unflattering, even for a woman.

But meh, if you continue to be like that, I guess you can count on me being an ass in your posts. I know how to search.

Nov 30, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #71 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But you ask great questions. That in itself is helpful. In a PRII thread you asked questions that I hadn't even thought about yet, and based on others' answers, starting doing some research on my own.

Thanx
smily_headphones1.gif
Never thought about it this way. I thought my questions were stupid and nooby most of the time. (can't even remember all of my questions exactly about the prII)

Nov 30, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #72 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanx
smily_headphones1.gif
Never thought about it this way. I thought my questions were stupid and nooby most of the time. (can't even remember all of my questions exactly about the prII)

They had to do with the opamp differences and whether re-biasing the amp for the 744 was reversible. Hardly a dumb question.

Nov 30, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #73 of 316
Quote:

They had to do with the opamp differences and whether re-biasing the amp for the 744 was reversible. Hardly a dumb question.

Ah yep, I remember now. And the answers to my questions were very helpful!

Dec 1, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #74 of 316
Quote:

He's just got a personal beef with me that has a history prior to this thread. It looks like he's making good on his threat:

Yeah, that will make any member of team girl-fi totally take anything he says seriously. Those words were creepy. He truly has nothing better to do than threaten to follow someone around every thread just to virtually poke them in the shoulder and say "Hey, I don't like you" - dude there's an ignore function. Use it. (to him, not you)

However, if he disagrees with the thread, well why not speak up, and state clearly why, no quotes taken out of context, but rather what he really means. What's the harm in that? It takes as many words as it does to be creepy.

Dec 1, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #75 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While it is bad to post good things about a product w/o having listened to it it is much worse to criticize a product. Lately some users have taken positions criticizing a product based on the specs.

Even the best components can be made to sound poorly if the designer/builder does a poor job. On the other hand a group of less expensive components which is well designed and well put together can sound fantastic. So I do have an issue w/ negative comments when the poster has not listened to a given piece of gear. Just my $0.02

If for instance a person is debating whether an amp with a 0.7% THD spec is better than one rated at 0.9% and there is no other information given nor available, then I agree that it's a worthless argument. However, if we have access to other relavent information such as the distortion spectra or the full schematic of the amplifier, we can begin to form an educated opinion on the amps in question. For example, if one amp has predominantly 2nd order harmonics while the other is 5th & higher, we can say the distortion in the former is most likely unnoticeable while the latter may result in undesirable effects.

Schematics are also very useful in predicting the sound of amplifiers & other electronics. For instance, if I see a 12AX7 as the driver stage for a RC coupled directly heated triode I know the amp is going to sound like arse no matter how many Blackgates and teflon capacitors the "designer" throws into the amp. Fancy parts cannot and will not change the laws of physics, the Miller C of the DHT and its high voltage swing requirements will eat up all the current which a dinky 12AX7 can output resulting in no highs, farty weak rolled off bass, severely restricted dynamics and countless other ills due to insufficient drive power. This is why I can conclude that every 300B amp using a 12AU7 or 6SN7 driver stage will sound mediocre to average at best. Along similar lines, the lack of sufficient current capabilities & output impedances which are too high also explains why every OTL headphone amp using the latter two tubes will be rather mediocre with Grados, and why the RSA Stealth is worse than useless as a preamp.

We can also look at the specs to see if they actually make sense, in other words, is the designer competant and honest. For example, claiming 3W of single-ended Class A output from an output device with a rated maximum heat dissipation of 5W would be a tip-off that something isn't kosher. Single-ended Class A can never be that efficient, so either the manufacturer's lying or he's running the output device well over its maximum specs. Sadly enough, the answer too often is both.

To summarize, the right specs can be very useful in determining the quality of the design and its sound quality, especially if the schematics are also available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back