Stop recommending gear you've never heard: rant warning
Dec 1, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #91 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I made one sneer comment at RSA(rather, compounded my opinions in various threads), and she jumped on my case about how previously I praised him, but recently started to "hate" on him.

Well, in honesty, I have. Granted, back when I was a "adoring his products" I had no clue of his background, ethical practices, or anything of the sort. And frankly, I find it crap. Because my opinion changed on a manufacturer, her opinion changed on me

Dude, a gang of haters is not fact. Step-into the liiiiight! You have let others twist your weak mind!

Shame on you and the others who gave you the Kool-Aid!

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #92 of 316
The Internet is real. Head-fi is real. The people who post on head-fi are real. Their posts are real and reflect what they want to say. The only difference is that it's easier to be a real retard here.

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #93 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Internet is real. Head-fi is real. The people who post on head-fi are real. Their posts are real and reflect what they want to say. The only difference is that it's easier to be a real retard here.

*LMAO* Amen.
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #94 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While it is bad to post good things about a product w/o having listened to it it is much worse to criticize a product. Lately some users have taken positions criticizing a product based solely on the specs.

Even the best components can be made to sound poorly if the designer/builder does a poor job. On the other hand a group of less expensive components which is well designed and well put together can sound fantastic. So I do have an issue w/ negative comments when the poster has not listened to a given piece of gear. Just my $0.02

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're going to have to explain to me the problem in presenting an evaluation based on product specifications. That'd be like saying that you can't judge how fast a car is based on reported 1/4 mile and 0-60 times. While I agree that the components in the circuit don't tell the whole story they certainly tell part of it. It is certainly a little different between amps and headphones in this regard, some measure of how an amp will sound can be gathered from it's circuit and components. It's impossible to judge a headphone this way.

Example: a Cmoy-type circuit, regardless of how well implemented is always going to have sonic limitations based on it's current delivery and voltage swing ability. There's no way around that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Miguel, this is a great example of selective reading, Nate pointed out that specs were not definative but informative and certian designs that have been proven to be comprimised are not going to soundthe best. Also not sure what even your point is with the headphone paragraph it was made crystal clear that HP specs are not as informative. I for one commend members with the technical knowledge I lack pointing out design flaws or MOT BS.

John, if you look at the 1st post quoted above you will see that my contention was that simply discarding or praising a product on specs is not IMO the right thing to do.

Note: I see I left a word out of my initial post (53). The word I left out is: "solely" and it goes after "based" and before "on". I will add said word to post 53. One word omitted can make a big difference.

Yes specs can give you a point to compare two units but they IMO do not and should not take the place of actually listening to the gear. In that first post you will note I wrote that good components can produce poor sound if the designer/builder does a crappy job, I also wrote that on the other hand a good designer/builder can make run of the mill parts sound good.

You can read what Nate wrote (quoted above for ease) he started the rebuttal on my post and made statements about specs for evaluation. If that is his opinion so be it, an opinion it is and by definition no better nor worse than somebody else's opinion.

I don't understand your statement about "selective reading" which IMO is un-called for. I did not do selective reading, heck I posted the entire post.

Regardless, I stand by my statement. Specifications by themselves do not tell the whole story. You must listen to a piece of gear to see if it is of your liking.

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #95 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Head-Fi is serious business.

I find all these personal gripes/attacks quite silly.

Though I can say that I'm not the same online as offline, simply because I have no physical manifestation.

Dec 1, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #96 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nate, actually most people that I have met are the same online and inperson. Its tough to tell what you mean when you have to clarify your positions often.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Head-Fi is serious business.

I find all these personal gripes/attacks quite silly.

Though I can say that I'm not the same online as offline, simply because I have no physical manifestation.

Precisely. I'm fairly close to the same person online as I am in person. The main difference being, interpretation is A LOT easier as I'm naturally a sarcastic and joking person. It's a little hard for some people to decipher the differences without knowing where it's coming from. It may come off a little wrong, and at times I have to vocalize/clarify the differences if that's what you mean. It's the reason alot of the time you find me having to reclarify my point. The only time ANYTHING I say should be taken seriously is when it's of business and/or when it's of firsthand experiance(s)...otherwise, like anybody elses posts, it should be taken as a grain of salt.

Meh, in either case, as golden pointed out, it's silly.

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #97 of 316
This thread has gone seriously astray. It was never about an individual until one made the decision to insert himself into it, which was both unnecessary and unfortunate, especially since in doing so, he made the decision to provide false information about a situation and the reasons behind it. This is the only and last comment I will make about it.

The purpose of this thread was not to incite any kind of battle, personal or otherwise, but to take a look at the contributions we (myself included) make here. If it cannot be brought back on track, I would like a mod to step in and lock it. What's the point of having a thread intended to promote a better community, even if started in a rant, if it is to dissolve into some sort of smackfest and represent the worst of who we are?

If anyone has anything meaningful to add, whether it be about my opening comment or how we, as members, can improve the content we provide, especially in the gear forums, rather than distract from what is good (and I'm not talking about the good-natured nonsensical banter that sometimes enters in...who doesn't like that?), go ahead. If not, perhaps this thread has run its course.

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #98 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excellent. I need a body guard in my stable. Thanks, Mike.

A body guard would have been helpful when you needed to carry that 150 lb. crated subwoofer through your front door.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stickied guidelines are never read, and not even enforced.
Bump for a great post, great guy!
rolleyes.gif

This post is the epitome of what the OP is talking about. How are you capabable of being the spokesperson for 60,000 members when you say:

"Stickied guidelines are never read, and not even enforced."

Maybe not by you. If that's the case, maybe another forum is in need of your wisdom
rolleyes.gif

Dec 2, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #99 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A body guard would have been helpful when you needed to carry that 150 lb. crated subwoofer through your front door.
biggrin.gif

...and it sounds so good! though maybe I should check into that body guard thing. Mike? Chris?
tongue.gif

Dec 2, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #101 of 316
I've got your back. One call makes 'em small.

Quote:

...and it sounds so good! though maybe I should check into that body guard thing. Mike? Chris?
tongue.gif

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #103 of 316
Quote:

This thread has gone seriously astray. It was never about an individual until one made the decision to insert himself into it, which was both unnecessary and unfortunate, especially since in doing so, he made the decision to provide false information about a situation and the reasons behind it. This is the only and last comment I will make about it.

The purpose of this thread was not to incite any kind of battle, personal or otherwise, but to take a look at the contributions we (myself included) make here. If it cannot be brought back on track, I would like a mod to step in and lock it. What's the point of having a thread intended to promote a better community, even if started in a rant, if it is to dissolve into some sort of smackfest and represent the worst of who we are?

If anyone has anything meaningful to add, whether it be about my opening comment or how we, as members, can improve the content we provide, especially in the gear forums, rather than distract from what is good (and I'm not talking about the good-natured nonsensical banter that sometimes enters in...who doesn't like that?), go ahead. If not, perhaps this thread has run its course.

Notable point, but that's a falsity lying in some truth. Your thread was made after I made the Voyager response. Sure, it may have been a generalized rant, but it was indeed in reference to my post. If it wasn't intentionally aimed at me, it sure was coincidental. Especially with the reply you made in that thread linking to this one. Meh....

But I agree with the last paragraph...I just don't think MOT ass-kissing is required(and so this is CLEAR, this isn't directed at you), which has run amuck on this forum.

In the end....I just go
CNR_meh.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back