Stop recommending gear you've never heard: rant warning
Dec 5, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #122 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you don't think there are haters (or mindless followers), you are fooling yourself. when someone tells me with a straight face that a cmoy will sound better than an amp costing a few thousand dollars, i know that they have completely lost touch with reality -- are drunk on the kool-aid.

I really think this is the vast minority and I could probably count off no more than 6-10 people who do this

In the case of mindless followers as a community we should call them on it or ignore them either way. I have heard cheap amps that sound better than expensive ones though although funny as it may seem I have never heard a cmoy (ok maybe I've heard a 300 dollar cmoy
evil_smiley.gif
)

Dec 5, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #123 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you don't think there are haters (or mindless followers), you are fooling yourself. when someone tells me with a straight face that a cmoy will sound better than an amp costing a few thousand dollars, i know that they have completely lost touch with reality -- are drunk on the kool-aid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Money doesn't mean anything, unless you just want to be an elitist and parade around how much you spent.

The original statement goes to cost relating to a better engineered and built amps, rather than put a CMoy in a nice box and charge $$$ for it. I agree 100% that cost is not always an indicator of quality.

And, whether you like it or not, money does mean something. Just because it doesn't always equate to quality you simply can't say that it never does. Is a Ferrari better because it costs a lot? No, it's better because of the engineering and build quality, which happens to cost a lot.

Jan 12, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #124 of 316
I confess and apologize that I didn't to read the entire thread. But I think people should be free to estimate or even just guess, on the quality of something they have not heard (the opinion could be valuable or lead to valuable info). After all, this is a public forum and original posters has the opportunity to clarify and ask further questions regarding the responses. Free speech? If the people who ask question are too dumb to clarify things before they buy, are they really the victims?

Still, I agree it'd be nice if people would provide background info of their experience with the stuff they comment on, but telling people to stop commenting on something they have no personal knowledge/experience with is the wrong approach, IMHO.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #125 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I confess and apologize that I didn't to read the entire thread.

You found and brought a thread back from the dead.....without reading it?

Quote:

But I think people should be free to estimate or even just guess, on the quality of something they have not heard (the opinion could be valuable or lead to valuable info).

You found and brought a thread back from the dead without reading it.......then chose those words as your contribution?

Quote:

After all, this is a public forum and original posters has the opportunity to clarify and ask further questions regarding the responses. Free speech? If the people who ask question are too dumb to clarify things before they buy, are they really the victims?

Free speech isn't free, never has been, never will be. All thoughts, words, and actions have consequences, be they benign, tragic or in-between. This thread was started in hopes that folks might take a look at what their words are offering to others, asking us to respect each other and this community by not posting unnecessary, avoidable, and potentially harmful crapola. That simple. Your chosen stance in the matter is revealing.

Yes, sometimes (not always) people who are too ignorant, not dumb, to clarify things before they buy are victims if they don't yet have the experience to sort bad advice from good, and not know who is posting through his or her arse or not.

Quote:

....telling people to stop commenting on something they have no personal knowledge/experience with is the wrong approach, IMHO.

Interesting take on freedom of speech: one should be free to degrade the quality of this board, but one shouldn't be free say stop it. Since you've determined my approach to be wrong, I assume you've determined what would be right. Do tell.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #126 of 316
Quote:

I think people should be free to estimate or even just guess, on the quality of something they have not heard (the opinion could be valuable or lead to valuable info).

How on earth can their opinion be valuable if they sucked it out of their thumb...? Freedom of speech....yeah...I am a real open-minded person but that's just mumbojumbo to me.
Misleading, that's what it would be, but not valuable in any way.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #127 of 316
I haven't read the whole thread either.
redface.gif

But after reading Post #125, I've concluded that boomana is much smarter and more insightful than I am.
cool.gif

Also, I can only further conclude that it took me so long to reach such a conclusion due to my stupidity and lack of insight.
redface.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #128 of 316
Quote:

I confess and apologize that I didn't to read the entire thread.

Somehow, I have the feeling your "apology" is less than sincere. When someone digs up a month old thread, I expect the person has read it, devoted thought to the subject, and come up with valuable insightful commentary which is pertinent to the topic.

Instead, I see a post which is summarized as "sorry, but..." followed by some drivel which has only been posted a dozen times in the thread. Do you really think the board needs to read what has only been said at least a dozen times already in the exact same thread? Is it that important to you to hear yourself speak?

As for the rest of your post, boomana has expressed her opinion, which closely mirrors my own.

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #130 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How on earth can their opinion be valuable if they sucked it out of their thumb...?

Hear! hear!. I actually though about kicking Einstein out of my sig for that.

Jan 12, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #131 of 316
The other problem is people entering a thread and promoting their favorite item regardless of what the OP asked. The Electrostatic vs. Dynamic thread in the Headphone Forum is a perfect example.

No one asked the OP what type of headphones he had before they made recommendations. Then it became a planer advertisement regardless of what the OP asked.

It’s easy to pick out the members who have agendas and promote those agendas at ever opportunity versus those members who are open minded and offer advise pertinent to the OP’s question.

Mitch

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #132 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other problem is people entering a thread and promoting their favorite item regardless of what the OP asked.

This drives me nuts, people ignoring the original purpose or question and just blindly romping through a thread promoting their own agenda regardless of its relevance.

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #133 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This drives me nuts, people ignoring the original purpose or question and just blindly romping through a thread promoting their own agenda regardless of its relevance.

Which goes to show, "Don't judge a member by his/her post count, but by the quality of his/her posts".
I never understood the need of members with 1 to 3 word responses in an attempt to inflate their post count.
Posts like "X2" or "Awesome"
eek.gif

Jan 14, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #134 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which goes to show, "Don't judge a member by his/her post count, but by the quality of his/her posts".
I never understood the need of members with 1 to 3 word responses in an attempt to inflate their post count.
Posts like "X2" or "Awesome"
eek.gif

i agree that there are a lot of stupid posts where people just interject their favorite gear with no regard for the topic at hand...and sometimes the very taciturn posts can be annoying. but i don't know if it's with the intent to inflate their post counts...i suppose some do it for that reason, but others just want to voice their support or enthusiasm for something...are we now going to vilify them, too?

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #135 of 316
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree that there are a lot of stupid posts where people just interject their favorite gear with no regard for the topic at hand...and sometimes the very taciturn posts can be annoying. but i don't know if it's with the intent to inflate their post counts...i suppose some do it for that reason, but others just want to voice their support or enthusiasm for something...are we now going to vilify them, too?

If it's as blind enthusiam, which is what I think you're trying to get at, then I would say it is detrimental to the hobby and thusly a negative. I do believe that that type of behavior should be discouraged. Having enthusiasm is fine, but don't be blind or obnoxious about it and do recognize that one manufacturer doesn't necessarily make the best of everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back